The Student Room Group

Is Politics and Economics at LSE considered a quantitative degree

I’ve got an offer for this course, however I am worried for a number of reasons that it is not quantitative enough. Firstly, while political science and politics in general fascinates (and is why I chose this degree), I believe i have always been more STEM orientated, I believe by not choosing an overtly mathematical degree I am wasting my abilities in what is a valued area (as I don’t think there are many maths-heavy jobs you could get with pol and econ). I also believe that choosing a less quantitative and STEM orientated degree may lead to less job prospects (especially with the attitudes shown by the likes of Sunak). I am also concerned the lack of quantitative modules in this joint degree would rule out jobs such as an actuary.
Are these concerns justified. Additionally, would it be difficult to ask LSE to switch to a more quantitative degree before or just after I’ve started my course? I know pure econ is already very competitive, and I may not be prepared/able for degrees such as econ and maths. For context, I studied at a school that does not offer Further Maths A-level and I didn’t do the TMUA (as it wasn’t required for my degree), although I am predicted an A* in Maths A-level. IF I am able to achieve this grade, would I be able to switch to a more quantitative degree at LSE? Otherwise it’ll be a gap year or clearing.
Reply 1
In terms of being an actuary I don't think it will be a problem. I do PPE and just did an actuarial internship, my degree really wasn't an issue at all. Lots of actuarial jobs now are only asking for maths a level anyway and not even a numerate degree (althought you should be fine as you're doing economics anyway).
I would say if you were worried about it, make a point to take the more mathematical/statistical economics modules (these are the best ones imo anyway). If you do this there really shouldnt be a large difference between studying economics and economics and politics in terms of prospects. There'll be a few quantatitive jobs you won't be able to do, but economics wouldn't have been sufficient for these anyway.
By all means feel free to ask LSE whether you can switch, altough I feel they will say no as their courses in this area will probably already be oversubscribed. (But it never hurts to ask).
Original post by jlocordner332
I’ve got an offer for this course, however I am worried for a number of reasons that it is not quantitative enough. Firstly, while political science and politics in general fascinates (and is why I chose this degree), I believe i have always been more STEM orientated, I believe by not choosing an overtly mathematical degree I am wasting my abilities in what is a valued area (as I don’t think there are many maths-heavy jobs you could get with pol and econ). I also believe that choosing a less quantitative and STEM orientated degree may lead to less job prospects (especially with the attitudes shown by the likes of Sunak). I am also concerned the lack of quantitative modules in this joint degree would rule out jobs such as an actuary.
Are these concerns justified. Additionally, would it be difficult to ask LSE to switch to a more quantitative degree before or just after I’ve started my course? I know pure econ is already very competitive, and I may not be prepared/able for degrees such as econ and maths. For context, I studied at a school that does not offer Further Maths A-level and I didn’t do the TMUA (as it wasn’t required for my degree), although I am predicted an A* in Maths A-level. IF I am able to achieve this grade, would I be able to switch to a more quantitative degree at LSE? Otherwise it’ll be a gap year or clearing.

Quantitative for what purpose? You do the less quantitative maths methods modules in that joint honours, I'm not sure if you do the same econometrics module as the single honours economics degree.

But does it matter? Most graduate roles don't care what subject(s) you studied at uni. Unless you specifically want to become an actuary or go into data science (which are probably the only areas you might be able to swing with an economics degree that are "quantitative" as other "quantitative roles" are looking for people with maths/engineering/physics/CS degrees, or sometimes other physical science degrees as well).

I'd note that single honours economics at LSE expects students to take FM if it is available to them, and in principle all schools in England at least can offer FM through the AMSP. Also to note that while some people do switch at the start of the year, it's absolutely not guaranteed and they would expect you to meet the standard requirements for the course.

I think you're overstating the "importance" of doing a quantitative degree. Research has found that STEM graduates and non-STEM graduates have equivalent outcomes in the long term: https://figshare.le.ac.uk/articles/report/The_employment_trajectories_of_Science_Technology_Engineering_and_Mathematics_graduates/10234421
Original post by artful_lounger
Quantitative for what purpose? You do the less quantitative maths methods modules in that joint honours, I'm not sure if you do the same econometrics module as the single honours economics degree.

But does it matter? Most graduate roles don't care what subject(s) you studied at uni. Unless you specifically want to become an actuary or go into data science (which are probably the only areas you might be able to swing with an economics degree that are "quantitative" as other "quantitative roles" are looking for people with maths/engineering/physics/CS degrees, or sometimes other physical science degrees as well).

I'd note that single honours economics at LSE expects students to take FM if it is available to them, and in principle all schools in England at least can offer FM through the AMSP. Also to note that while some people do switch at the start of the year, it's absolutely not guaranteed and they would expect you to meet the standard requirements for the course.

I think you're overstating the "importance" of doing a quantitative degree. Research has found that STEM graduates and non-STEM graduates have equivalent outcomes in the long term: https://figshare.le.ac.uk/articles/report/The_employment_trajectories_of_Science_Technology_Engineering_and_Mathematics_graduates/10234421

Aren’t there optional modules for the economics side of the degree in second and third years? Perhaps I could select the most maths-heavy modules
Aren’t there optional modules for the economics side of the degree in second and third years? Perhaps I could select the most maths-heavy modules

You don't do the more mathematical first year methods modules so they may not be available on that course though as you may not meet the prerequisites.
You don't do the more mathematical first year methods modules so they may not be available on that course though as you may not meet the prerequisites.

I’ll have to look more in depth at that, but the LSE website isn’t very helpful in terms of its layout and the info it divulges. I may just have to wait until I get there and ask someone in person.
I’ll have to look more in depth at that, but the LSE website isn’t very helpful in terms of its layout and the info it divulges. I may just have to wait until I get there and ask someone in person.

This is the programme structure and options for it while running this year: https://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/programmeRegulations/undergraduate/2023/BScPoliticsAndEconomics.htm

Notably you do EC2C3 and EC2C4 for your econometrics papers, in contrast to the single honours economics degree which does EC2C1 (which requires more substantial mathematical methods courses in first year).
(edited 8 months ago)

How well would the LSE Pol and Econ degree put me in contention for masters courses in either pure econ or data science. I note for most lower ranking Russell Group unis a joint degree for cut it but for the more quantitative courses would my application be competitive (provided I select economics modules over politics modules of course).
As for Data Science, here is QUB's masters requirements: https://www.qub.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-taught/data-analytics-msc/#entry
How well would the LSE Pol and Econ degree put me in contention for masters courses in either pure econ or data science. I note for most lower ranking Russell Group unis a joint degree for cut it but for the more quantitative courses would my application be competitive (provided I select economics modules over politics modules of course).
As for Data Science, here is QUB's masters requirements: https://www.qub.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-taught/data-analytics-msc/#entry

The QUB course states: "Normally a 2.1 Honours degree in Mathematics, Statistics, or Computer Science or a closely related discipline, or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University."

Politics and economics isn't even close to being a "closely related discipline" I think. It does note they will consider those with non-cognate degrees but they need to pass a test. I suspect you would struggle with that as you wouldn't have sufficient background for it though.

Outside of that QUB course, for straight economics courses, might be variable. Some will probably have no issue, others might want more of a quantitative background perhaps (I might guess LSE/UCL/Oxbridge for example).

Again though, politics and economics is just fine for just about any other job and I'm not sure why you're fixating on working as an actuary specifically so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending