The Student Room Group

Politics and Economics starting salary

Is a Politics and Economics degree just as poor for earning potential as a Politics degree or is it closer to Economics (im talking about a 50/50 joint honours degree)
Is there also variation in unis? And if so, what unis would the degree have to be studied at to be in a good chance of a decent graduate salary?
Original post by N_G_99028
Is a Politics and Economics degree just as poor for earning potential as a Politics degree or is it closer to Economics (im talking about a 50/50 joint honours degree)
Is there also variation in unis? And if so, what unis would the degree have to be studied at to be in a good chance of a decent graduate salary?

Speaking in gross generalisations, a Politics and Economics degree will have a greater earning potential than a pure Politics degree but not a great as a pure Economics degree.

This will vary between unis. So a Politics and Economics degree from the LSE has more earning potential that a pure Economics degree from the University of Roehampton, for example.

What matters more to your earning potential is you. Your ability to make contacts, gain experience, size opportunities, add value to the company you work for, etc. Your degree will influence your year one salary; year two and beyond - not so much.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Speaking in gross generalisations, a Politics and Economics degree will have a greater earning potential than a pure Politics degree but not a great as a pure Economics degree.

This will vary between unis. So a Politics and Economics degree from the LSE has more earning potential that a pure Economics degree from the University of Roehampton, for example.

What matters more to your earning potential is you. Your ability to make contacts, gain experience, size opportunities, add value to the company you work for, etc. Your degree will influence your year one salary; year two and beyond - not so much.

Looking at the salary data for joint degrees on discoveruni is quite hard.
For LSE, it says politics students make in average 30k after 15 months, while economics students 42.5k. Where does Pol and Econ fit into that?
Original post by N_G_99028
Looking at the salary data for joint degrees on discoveruni is quite hard.
For LSE, it says politics students make in average 30k after 15 months, while economics students 42.5k. Where does Pol and Econ fit into that?

Unfortunately, the data which The Uni Guide is presenting doesn't cover joint honours programmes. (Well, I've never seen it present data for joint honours programmes, anyway). So I would agree that reaching any conclusions is "quite hard". :frown:
Original post by DataVenia
Unfortunately, the data which The Uni Guide is presenting doesn't cover joint honours programmes. (Well, I've never seen it present data for joint honours programmes, anyway). So I would agree that reaching any conclusions is "quite hard". :frown:

Would graduates of a joint degree like Politics and Economics be included in the graduate data for both subjects?
Original post by jlocordner332
Would graduates of a joint degree like Politics and Economics be included in the graduate data for both subjects?

Good question.

You're talking specifically about the "Earnings after the course" section on Discover Uni, right? The "After 15 months" average earnings come from the Graduate Outcomes survey (students graduating during 2018-2020), whilst the "After 3 years" and "After 5 years" average earnings come from the very old "Longitudinal Education Outcomes (LEO) dataset" (students graduating during 2012-2014).

I've tried to find a good answer to your question (from both the Graduate Outcomes site and the relevant areas of the HESA site, but they're a tad vague. (I didn't bother trying to answer your question we regards to the LEO database as it's so old.)

The best answer to you question is to be found on Discover Uni's About our data page, which says:

"Joint honours and courses with data for multiple subjects

Some courses cover more than one subject area, sometimes leading to an award known as joint honours (such as “BSc Mathematics and Computer Science”). Where a course has more than one subject, we try to present data items based only on the people studying that course.

Sometimes if there are not enough people studying the course, or not enough of them reply to a survey, we include data for everyone at the institution studying courses that include those subjects. For instance, this means in our example above we would present figures separately for Mathematics and for Computer Science. These are presented as tabs on the course pages. Some very broad courses with open choices between lots of modules can have as many as five subject areas, or even more.

When thinking about a course where multiple subject level figures are presented, it is important to look at all the subjects. You should also think about how these subject figures may reflect the course you are looking at, which perhaps only represent a small number of students within those subject areas."

I read that as saying that if there is enough data from students / graduates of the joint honours degree itself, then they will present that data. However, where there is not they "include data for everyone at the institution studying courses that include those subjects" where "These are presented as tabs on the course pages."

That would suggest to me that the data in the Politics tab includes data for everyone at the institution studying Politics, Politics and Economics, Politics and anything else, and that the data in the Economics tab includes data for everyone at the institution studying Economics, Politics and Economics, anything else and Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending