The Student Room Group

Should I do a mathematics degree or mathematics and ___?

I'm currently doing further maths at AS level (in Y13) so I can't pass many uni's entry requirements. Would it be worth applying to a course like Mathematics and Statistics instead? (or would it be seen as lower, only reason I think this is because Bath Uni suggests applying for maths, data science + stats if you can't meet the requirements for maths)
Reply 1
It depends on what you are interested in. Most universities do not demand FM.

If your main interest is in what a MAths degree can allow you to do as a career (e.g Fintec, AI etc) then stats is a really good idea.

On the other hand if you *really* like maths in the sense that you spend all your time doing maths puzzles and proofs and anticipate being a mathematician then maybe a pure maths degree is for you.

That does not preclude stats though.

Maybe you should seek out someone doing a job that you really fancy doing and see what they did at University.
Original post by atarisroses
I'm currently doing further maths at AS level (in Y13) so I can't pass many uni's entry requirements. Would it be worth applying to a course like Mathematics and Statistics instead? (or would it be seen as lower, only reason I think this is because Bath Uni suggests applying for maths, data science + stats if you can't meet the requirements for maths)

Hi!

As others have said I would suggest considering what you are genuinely interested in studying. There are quite a few options for joint honours with maths so maybe have a look at all the possibilities as there may be something that interests you even more than just pure maths. A math and stats degree is probably the closest you get to a pure maths degree while being a joint honours as many mathematics courses will include statistics anyway.

There are also quite a few universities that do not require further maths. For example, if you are interested, Lancaster doesn't require further maths A-level to study Mathematics, you can find more information here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mathematics-bsc-hons-g100/2024/

I hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest