Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unzipping a WinZip file

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

We run schedules backups using Windows 7 backup tool. After backup wecompress the file using WinZip. The backup file is usually around 4 to 5gb large.
    On the last backup we checked if it was ok by extracting the contents andcopying the actual zip file to another drive; both worked perfectly.
    Yesterday we needed to extract this backup and it failed. See attachedpic all messages given. We proceeded to move or copy the zipped file andit fails; hence, it could be the hard disk.
    We then proceeded to run check-disk and effectively there were drives errors,but were fixed by the tool.
    Now I can copy and move the zipped file, but still can't extract the contents.
    Please see the pic and helps determine whats the problem and how can we extractthe backup contents.
    (if question is wrong zone, please moderator move to according zone).
    Attached Images

what do I do? any ideas? I would be grateful for any advice.

My guesswould be that either:
    A) The files you originally zipped were corrupt when you zipped the file
    B) The Zip became corrupted when your drive had errors
    C) You are out of Disk space
    D) There are deeper hidden FS errors...

What I would do is copy the file to another drive or system and try to unzip it again.

If that fails, try using 7zip to rule out the utility you are using. And ifthat fails, then I think you need to use third party winzip recovery tool torecover the data for example as powerful ZIPRecoveryToolbox. This error indicates your archive is broken, and your last resort is third-party ZIP repairing tools.

Thank you for the help!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.