The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance to recover deleted files on a flash drive?

I did not copy the files to the PC and formatted the flash drive. Do I have a chance to recover deleted files on a flash drive? I read that there is special software, but I do not know how it works with such media.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by KlarkDevlin
I did not copy the files to the PC and formatted the flash drive. Do I have a chance to recover deleted files on a flash drive? I read that there is special software, but I do not know how it works with such media.

There is... sort of. There is recovery software out there (not going to name any, because I have forgotten ones I've used in the past - but googling should find you some). Just make sure you don't put anything back on there, you'll end up overwriting the data. Formatting a flash drive may make data recovery trickier, but perhaps worth a try.

If you don't know what you're doing, take it to a computer shop.

I take no responsibility in any loss of data.
Thank you for your support, I was able to deal with this problem.
Original post by KlarkDevlin
Thank you for your support, I was able to deal with this problem.

That's great. Did you manage to get everything recovered?
Yes, there is a chance to recover deleted files from a flash drive. When a file is deleted from a flash drive, it is not permanently erased from the device. Instead, the space it occupied is marked as available for new data. As long as the space is not overwritten with new data, there is a good chance that the deleted file can be recovered.

Here are some steps you can take to try to recover deleted files from a flash drive:

Stop using the flash drive: To increase the chances of recovering deleted files, stop using the flash drive immediately after you realize that files have been deleted. This will prevent any new data from overwriting the deleted files.

Use data recovery software: There are several data recovery software programs available that can help you recover deleted files from a flash drive. Some popular ones include Recuva, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, and Disk Drill. These programs scan the flash drive and attempt to recover the deleted files.

Try manual recovery: If the data recovery software does not work, you can try manual recovery. This involves searching for the deleted files on the flash drive and recovering them manually. However, this method can be time-consuming and may not be effective if the files have been overwritten.

Contact a professional data recovery service: If you are unable to recover the deleted files on your own, you can contact a professional data recovery service. These services have specialized equipment and software that can recover data from damaged or corrupted flash drives.

Note: It's important to regularly backup your data to prevent data loss in case of any accidents.
Reply 5
Original post by alexivanovski
Anyone tried Recuva? Is it good?

I used Recuva once and I liked it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending