The Student Room Group

How important do you think the nuclear family is to the structure of society?

Poll

How important do you think the nuclear family is to the structure of society?

You know, 2 parents and children.

A lot of people talk about the destruction of family values but I am not sure I believe this, so lets put it to the test.

I think it's important since single parent households have a higher tendency towards producing damaged children than nuclear families.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I think it is very important.
(edited 7 years ago)
If the parent is a good parent no matter the gender and tries their best then the child will have a good life.

Many successful people have come from single parents.

Nuclear family was only important in the past when the man was expected to provide.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
If the parent is a good parent no matter the gender and tries their best then the child will have a good life.

Many successful people have come from single parents.

Nuclear family was only important in the past when the man was expected to provide.

This is true. However, I would like to point out that the majority of young offenders come from single parent households, and it has an increased risk of emotional issues in children.

http://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/alfresco/publication-pdfs/412899-The-Negative-Effects-of-Instability-on-Child-Development-A-Research-Synthesis.PDF

Pages 5-7 describe the effects of childhood instability, a very significant cause of this is often divorce and living in a single-parent household.
The nuclear family became less of a necessity when divorce became easier. Also women did not have to remain in marriages where they were unhappy - domestic violence behind closed doors wasn't talked about and women tolerated, hence many children in nuclear families were damaged because of this. I don't think the nuclear family was in any way the ideal family. The stigma of being a lone parent isn't as strong as it was. In the mid 1970s a quarter of teen mothers were unmarried, now it's 90 per cent. I remember having my second child in 1976 and there was one unmarried mum on the ward. She wasn't allowed to mix with the other mums and she was kept in a seperate room. The nursing staff treated her very badly and then they took her baby off her.
Original post by Seamus123
I remember having my second child in 1976 and there was one unmarried mum on the ward. She wasn't allowed to mix with the other mums and she was kept in a seperate room. The nursing staff treated her very badly and then they took her baby off her.

What? Really?
Much respect for having lived in those times,...then made it long enough to experience joys like TSR
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
What? Really?
Much respect for having lived in those timres,...then made it long enough to experience joys like TSR

My second is now a Cardiac Ward Sister. I have 7 altogether now.
The nuclear family became less of a necessity when divorce became easier. Also women did not have to remain in marriages where they were unhappy - domestic violence behind closed doors wasn't talked about and women tolerated, hence many children in nuclear families were damaged because of this. I don't think the nuclear family was in any way the ideal family. The stigma of being a lone parent isn't as strong as it was. In the mid 1970s a quarter of teen mothers were unmarried, now it's 90 per cent. I remember having my second child in 1976 and there was one unmarried mum on the ward. She wasn't allowed to mix with the other mums and she was kept in a seperate room. The nursing staff treated her very badly and then they took her baby off her.

Interesting viewpoint.

Domestic violence is a significant issue with nuclear families ( I cannot begin to guess what level it is at). As somebody who comes from a nuclear family with that sort of setup, I would agree that separation is better in those cases (especially when it is severe). However, a large chunk of divorces happen for reasons that are less significant, like sexual boredom and needless cheating. While these are reasons enough to break up a relationship between two people. However, when children are involved I am not sure that these are good reasons, as they are uninvolved and it could cause needless suffering on the part of children, which could impact them later in life (As the study I provided earlier shows).

It is shameful how single mothers were treated (And to a certain degree still are). However, that doesn't mean that single motherhood is anywhere near an ideal system for raising children, and on aggregate nuclear families are better.
(edited 7 years ago)
My second is now a Cardiac Ward Sister. I have 7 altogether now.

No. I was shocked that you lived in times where single mothers were looked at with such contempt,...not that you had your second born in that year. All the same, my hat off to you. You must be really proud!

Quick Reply

Latest