The Student Room Group

Medicine application 2017! So confused!!!!

I think I will not get high enough predicted grades to apply to medicine /dentistry and will get predicted 'BBC' in bio,chem and maths

Is it worth me doing the UKCAT this year if I get higher A level grades and COULD get in through clearing?

Shall I just focus on bettering my grades and take a gap year and do the UKCAT the following year?

Will I be able to convince my teachers to get me higher predicted grades and take the UKCAT this year?

SO CONFUSED and stressed!!

Im hoping I get good grades in the end and will work SO hard but then I will have to take a gap year and don't want to so will taking the UKCAT this year even be a point?

THANKS!!!
Medicine isn't usually In clearing,but I have heard of cases where it is- they're rare tho
Your best bet is to take a gap year..
You could take the ukcat, If you have the money do it
People do better the second time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yoitsmeeee
I think I will not get high enough predicted grades to apply to medicine /dentistry and will get predicted 'BBC' in bio,chem and maths

Is it worth me doing the UKCAT this year if I get higher A level grades and COULD get in through clearing?

Shall I just focus on bettering my grades and take a gap year and do the UKCAT the following year?

Will I be able to convince my teachers to get me higher predicted grades and take the UKCAT this year?

SO CONFUSED and stressed!!

Im hoping I get good grades in the end and will work SO hard but then I will have to take a gap year and don't want to so will taking the UKCAT this year even be a point?

THANKS!!!

Firstly calm down, panicking about this will not help, you need to think with a clear head and in a calm manner!

What were your AS results may I ask, from the looks of it they were either BBC or CCD. You have to understand that if a university admissions department sees someone has been predicted an A at A2 after only achieving a D/C at AS, it is not a realistic prediction nor a fair one. predicted grade inflation happens a lot and universities do pick up on it so be careful.

My best advice would be to not apply this year, get your AAA at A2 and then apply for 2018 entry. Clearing doest really exist for medicine, and if it does like this year it is SOOOO competitive and they will be looking for only the most highly qualified candidates.
Reply 3
Abandon this thought of clearing and just work hard on getting AAA at A2.

If money isn't an issue, then I'd recommend you do the UKCAT. Get a feel of the exam for next year! Even if they're forever changing it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
St George's was in clearing/adjustment in 2016. They had cca 50 places. I didn't get on it with AAA as I hadn't taken the UKCAT so you might want to but, I'd focus on your A level grades. Smash your predictions and then reapply the year after.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending