The Student Room Group
Loads of people, I'm sure, but then they're much less likely to be reading this forum... :p:
Reply 2
HenvY
Anyone else not applying(this year)? I just feel I won't have good enough grades to warrant it..even if my grades are OK, I won't feel OK applying to OK universities because I want to go to a good one. :/
But if your grades are "only" OK you still won't be any better off applying a year later? Unless you hope to make up a lot of ground during A2? You might want to think about what you'd do with the gap year as otherwise you'll have a hole in your PS that might not be helpful, especially with the more competitive unis.

All of that said, if you aren't convinced about what course you want to do or where you'd like to do it, definitely don't rush into applying just because everyone else is.
Reply 3
HenvY
Anyone else not applying(this year)? I just feel I won't have good enough grades to warrant it..even if my grades are OK, I won't feel OK applying to OK universities because I want to go to a good one. :/

rather than resigning yourself to bad grades now at the end of y12, on the basis of the grades that you haven't even got back yet, why not just apply anyway, and work hard in y13 to get the grades you want, then if you do get them off to uni, if you dont revert back to your original plan.

you might get a good surprise come results day don't be in the downers from now.
I'm not applying, but I'm just a failure in most respects. :p:
As others have said, you don't even know your AS grades yet, and even if they are lower than you want, predicted grades matter more, especially if you decline your AS grades, so you could still apply this year and just do resits in January to improve your grades. You have 5 choices, so you could still apply to say 2 unis you think are a bit out of a reach as long as the other 3 are more realistic because you never know. If you do take a gap year, make sure you do something productive, like work or travelling. You might regret not applying while you have the full support of your school/college, especially if come results day you do much better than you expected and all your friends head off to uni without you. If you don't get any offers, or none that you want, you can withdraw for this year and reapply as planned anyway, so you won't have lost anything.
HenvY

I'm not. I don't think. I may just apply but then decline the offers and apply next year anyway. I think I did pretty badly this year (BBCE) But I wan't to apply for AAB uni's. I'm carrying on my (probable) E grade to A2 aswell. (not my B - Its not available at A2) I don't want to retake in my gap year. I'm just going to work super hard in yr 13. Hopefully get AAA and then apply exactly where I want (I don't want to go to oxbridge by the way).

Latest

Trending

Trending