The Student Room Group

Major physical characteristics of the Earth's surface

I'm trying to write an answer discussing that the major physical characteristics of the earth's surface are the consequence of the global pattern of tectonic processes.
I have ample examples showing major physical characteristics that are, what are some characteristics that are not completely/ not at all a result of tectonic processes?
Original post by marmbite
I'm trying to write an answer discussing that the major physical characteristics of the earth's surface are the consequence of the global pattern of tectonic processes.
I have ample examples showing major physical characteristics that are, what are some characteristics that are not completely/ not at all a result of tectonic processes?

How about:

Rivers and lakes

Deserts - many different factors are involved in the formation of deserts, including latitude (most deserts are found 30 degrees North and South of the Equator), proximity to the coast (the centre of continents are more arid than the edges because precipitation falls before it reaches the centre), the rain shadow effect (where warm air is forced upwards due to mountain ranges, it cools and its ability to hold moisture reduces, meaning the land on the other side of the mountain receives little rain), and proximity to cold ocean currents (the cold ocean currents cool the air flowing over them, reducing its ability to hold moisture and causing precipitation to fall before reaching the land).

Glaciers/glaciated areas - these are predominantly found at high latitudes, such as the Antarctic and Greenland Ice Sheets, and high altitudes (regardless of latitude), e.g. glaciers in the Himalayan mountains.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending