The Student Room Group

✎Starting Early: GYG Study Blog of Y9 Student📖

Hello!
This will be my study blog until the end of the school year!!

A bit of info:
I am a year 9 student that has started GCSE prep this year (my school does this). I will be doing 10 GCSEs inside of school and hopefully an extra 2 more independently! This study blog will focus on 5 subjects and the study will not be necessarily about GCSE:
Maths
Further Maths ~
Physics
Astronomy ~
Computer Science
~ = independent study/ outside of school
I have gotten my target grades back for Maths, Physics and Comp. Sci and they are good: 998 (for those). I haven't told my school yet that I would like to do Astronomy and Further Maths GCSE but I plan to do in the summer term of Y9. I'm also considering doing those subjects and physics GCSE in the summer of Y10 because I think I will be able to but of course, all of this will be decided towards the end of Y9.

What I have done so far (29/09/23)
------------
Maths - Just doing stuff that we have to do in school, prep for IMC
------------
Further Maths - Haven't actually started anything because I haven't got the textbook yet...
------------
Physics - Learnt some stuff in the Physics GCSE revision guide, started to properly learn things from the Edexcel Textbook (up to section 1, I did the Working Scientifically section first) and I have the Isaac physics GCSE book ready for when I need it
-------------
Astronomy - I've worked through topics Planet Earth, The Lunar Disc, and have now started topic The Earth-Moon-Sun System
-------------
Computer Science - just doin' stuff I have to do at school
-------------

My Preferred Method of Study:
~ going through the textbooks and taking down key info into a designated notebook that I can later revise from
~ after I have completed a topic, I make flashcards on quizlet for key terminology in that topic
~revision, revision, revision! I don't actually revise that much until very close to an assessment/exam. I am really interested in these subjects so I generally remember most facts the first time I learn about them.

My Goals for this Year:
maths- take part in the IMC and get at least gold, pass End of Year Exam with at least 90%
F. Maths- explore the subject and start working through the textbook
Physics- take part in junior physics challenge and get gold, get up to at least section 7 of the textbook, pass with at least 95% in the End of Year exams
Astronomy- take part in junior astro challenge and get gold, finish most, if not all, of the textbook, complete astronomy question books, complete some worksheets from the Royal Observatory Greenwich on astro GCSE
Comp. Sci- not exactly comp. sci but get onto the next round of inters bebras, get at least 90% in End of Year exams

/ / :

Maths-
F. Maths-
Physics-
Astronomy-
Comp. Sci-

This is pretty much my study blog intro + plans so I hope you follow along! :centipe:
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
29/09/23:
Was absent from school today so I managed to do some work but I am really unwell so it wasn't such a productive day as I hoped it would be.

Maths- did my maths hw
F. Maths- nothing
Physics- made quizlet flashcards on "working scientifically" section
Astronomy- made quizlet flashcards on topics Planet Earth and The Lunar Surface
Comp. Sci- revised cw on data types
Reply 2
30/09/23:
Last day of September ahhh! Sadly, I am really unwell so I wasn't able to do any work today but I am on my way to recovery so I hope that tomorrow will be a more productive day...
Hi, this looks pretty cool! Though, out of interest, may I ask why you plan on starting to early?
Reply 4
Original post by quagmiretoilet
Hi, this looks pretty cool! Though, out of interest, may I ask why you plan on starting to early?

I am in year 9 and I still have plenty of time on my hands so why not do extra study? I am able to and I love it so whilst I have time, I'll put in extra work on things I like before I need to fully focus on other GCSEs like English, which is something I'm definitely not good at.
Also, the best plots take years of planning and I like looking ahead so I've got to start early...
Reply 5
01/10/23:
First day of October!! My favourite season due to many reasons, including my birthday... Today wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. Whilst I am feeling better, I still don't know as to whether I'll be able to go to school tomorrow.
The only thing I managed to do was revise some vocab from "Working Scientifically" e.g. the meaning of precise.
Reply 6
02/10/23:
Didn't go to school today either, but I'm glad to say that today was a much more productive day! Not only did I do a good amount of independent study, I also looked into work opportunities and various summer camps. I hope to return to school on Wednesday...

Maths- I've already missed 3 maths lessons at school but the current topic is algebra which is something I'm good at and enjoy, a lot, so I just looked at various problems and considered how I'd solve them. Still very trivial and easy questions in year 9 regarding algebra but not boring nonetheless :smile:
F. Maths- still nothing
Physics- started Section 1 Motion and Forces and looked at quantity types and everyday speeds. Definitely not my most favourite part of physics but still gotta do it
Astronomy- This was very fun. I learnt about different type of Eclipses (solar and lunar) and how they occur which was very interesting but I am telling you, the👏amount👏of👏diagrams👏I had to draw is, well, a lot. Still, a very fascinating part of Astronomy and I hope to learn about "Sizes and Distances" tomorrow
Comp. Sci.- revised Von Neumann Architecture, the different components in it and their functions. I have finally memorised the purpose of the MDR!
Moved to this year's Grow your Grades forum :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Moved to this year's Grow your Grades forum :smile:

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 9
03/10/23:
I didn't have much motivation to do much today although I had LOADS of time. I'm really excited to be back at school tomorrow even though I have a German assessment and 2 homework pieces due in. Also, it will be ✨Astronomy Wednesday✨ tomorrow! This is when me and my friend spend time in the library or computer rooms together studying from the Astronomy textbook. I'll mark such days like that with a "✨" emoji next to the date.

Maths- did some individual problems from the 2009 IMC. I think it will be time to attempt a past paper this weekend
F. Maths- nope :frown:
Physics- did "Acceleration" from Section 1. that's 2 more equations to memorise...
Astronomy- started "Sizes and Distances" from topic The Earth-Moon-Sun systems. And I though yesterday was a lot of diagrams to draw! I'll have to finish that part tomorrow and absorb the info I have learnt today overnight
Comp. Sci- nothing today...
Reply 10
Hey!!! Glad to see you started your blog too and I'm so glad someone else is doing the IMC as well. Keep going! P.S Your subjects are so cool slay hahah
(edited 6 months ago)
Hope u do rlly well with everything!
Reply 12
Original post by ebyrne2036
Hope u do rlly well with everything!

Original post by Th4t1kid
Hey!!! Glad to see you started your blog too and I'm so glad someone else is doing the IMC as well. Keep going! P.S Your subjects are so cool slay hahah

Thank you!!
Reply 13
Past week-ish:
didn't do that much because I had to catch up on loads of school work after my absence. Also, I have loads of assessments this week however some of them have been moved to next week. I only managed to get some work done in physics and astronomy
Physics- did section 2,3,4 and 5 from Section 1 Motion and Forces
Astronomy- finished topic The Earth-Moon-Sun systems. So many things that I still need to memorise!
Original post by .Vvoid.
Hello!
This will be my study blog until the end of the school year!!

A bit of info:
I am a year 9 student that has started GCSE prep this year (my school does this). I will be doing 10 GCSEs inside of school and hopefully an extra 2 more independently! This study blog will focus on 5 subjects and the study will not be necessarily about GCSE:
Maths
Further Maths ~
Physics
Astronomy ~
Computer Science
~ = independent study/ outside of school
I have gotten my target grades back for Maths, Physics and Comp. Sci and they are good: 998 (for those). I haven't told my school yet that I would like to do Astronomy and Further Maths GCSE but I plan to do in the summer term of Y9. I'm also considering doing those subjects and physics GCSE in the summer of Y10 because I think I will be able to but of course, all of this will be decided towards the end of Y9.

What I have done so far (29/09/23)
------------
Maths - Just doing stuff that we have to do in school, prep for IMC
------------
Further Maths - Haven't actually started anything because I haven't got the textbook yet...
------------
Physics - Learnt some stuff in the Physics GCSE revision guide, started to properly learn things from the Edexcel Textbook (up to section 1, I did the Working Scientifically section first) and I have the Isaac physics GCSE book ready for when I need it
-------------
Astronomy - I've worked through topics Planet Earth, The Lunar Disc, and have now started topic The Earth-Moon-Sun System
-------------
Computer Science - just doin' stuff I have to do at school
-------------

My Preferred Method of Study:
~ going through the textbooks and taking down key info into a designated notebook that I can later revise from
~ after I have completed a topic, I make flashcards on quizlet for key terminology in that topic
~revision, revision, revision! I don't actually revise that much until very close to an assessment/exam. I am really interested in these subjects so I generally remember most facts the first time I learn about them.

My Goals for this Year:
maths- take part in the IMC and get at least gold, pass End of Year Exam with at least 90%
F. Maths- explore the subject and start working through the textbook
Physics- take part in junior physics challenge and get gold, get up to at least section 7 of the textbook, pass with at least 95% in the End of Year exams
Astronomy- take part in junior astro challenge and get gold, finish most, if not all, of the textbook, complete astronomy question books, complete some worksheets from the Royal Observatory Greenwich on astro GCSE
Comp. Sci- not exactly comp. sci but get onto the next round of inters bebras, get at least 90% in End of Year exams

This is pretty much my study blog intro + plans so I hope you follow along! :centipe:

Astronomy? thats so cool!! :smile:
Reply 15
Past month-ish:
It has been ages since I've replied but I haven't had much time to update anything. However, here is a pretty big update to fill in the gap...
Maths- I have been practicing with various questions from IMC past papers but clearly I need to practice my algebra because I always get stumped on questions 21-25
F. Maths- I haven't started yet but I do have the textbook now and the notebook I will use so maybe I will get started with it today?
Physics- I completed Section 1 (Motion and Forces), Section 2 (Conservation of Energy) and started Section 3a (Waves). I practiced with various exam questions from those topics and also completed questions from 'Mastering Essential GCSE Physics' book from Isaac Physics. Also, I have completed various quizzed from their website.
Astronomy- I completed topic 1,2,3,4,5,6 and started topic 7. I have also completed all the questions from 'GCSE Astronomy 150 Practise Questions on the Earth, the Moon and the Sun' from which I learnt how to calculate the surface area and volume of a sphere, as well as other facts about astronomy. I also took part in the Junior Astro Challenge and will hopefully find my results out on Monday!
Comp. Sci- I keep on getting in the 80s% for my assessment at school so I really need to bring this up to at least 90% and I do have and assessment next week so that is my chance. Also, I now know the score that I got in Intermediate Bebras but I will find out if I get into the next round on Monday...
Reply 16
25/11/23:
Today was quite productive because I managed to do quite a lot of work even after I was away for 4 hours in the morning. Me and my friend went to the library to study so that was fun aswell.
Maths- didn't get a chance to do maths today
F. Maths- After getting a new highlighter, I have begun working though my further maths textbook. I am excited to explore this topic.
Physics- I did 3a.3 and 3a.4. I also did Weight quiz A and B from isaac physics website.
Astronomy- I did 7.2, which means I have finished section 7! I also found an interesting book on white holes so I hope to read it in the near future...
Comp. Sci- I managed to revise a bit for my upcoming assessment but I realised that I left my subject notebook at school so that is quite inconvenient.
Reply 17
Past Week:
This was an amazing week! I got distinction+gold in inter bebras and gold in the Junior Astro challenge. I have been waking up at 4am though (unwillingly) but this means I have been able to complete many physics questions early in the morning.
Maths- practised with a bunch of IMC questions
F. Maths- I competed 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 I'm finding it good so far!
Physics- I finished section 3a, did the exam style questions and completed various online physics questions from isaac physics.
Astronomy- I finished section 8! Lots of revision heading my way...
Comp. Sci- did a bunch of revision for my upcoming assessment
Reply 18
Past week:
I have become unwell yet again but I was still able to do some work.
Maths- nothing really
F. Maths- 1.4 from the textbook
Physics- up to 3b.5 in the textbook, did a bunch of questions on light intensity
Astronomy- since I've learnt all the content from the "Naked eye Astronomy" paper, I am now going back to revise and already have revised all definitions, terms and explanations in topics 1 and 2
Comp. Sci- had my assessment and did robotics in school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending