The Student Room Group

Quick French translation please

Does anyone know how to say 'County' in French? As in County Derry or County Monaghan (you'd definitely know what I mean if you're from Ireland)
Or if I'd be able to say 'I've moved house (X) times, however I've always lived in this county'
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LittleIrishGeek
Does anyone know how to say 'County' in French? As in County Derry or County Monaghan (you'd definitely know what I mean if you're from Ireland)

Language tip. Unless there is a specific, transliteration/translation in another language (i.e. In French they say Londres instead of London because it is easier for the French to say as {on-dohn} is bizarre phonetically in French), there is no change and it remains the same.

i.e.

J'habite à County Derry.

Also, whilst @FrenchUnicorn may be French and a powerful mythical creature, she isn't a translation service so it would be best not to tag her like that. :wink:

For reference though, 'county' in French is:

département or comté. Depends on context and type of area I think… :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iEthan
Language tip. Unless there is a specific, transliteration/translation in another language (i.e. In French they say Londres instead of London because it is easier for the French to say as {on-dohn} is bizarre phonetically in French), there is no change and it remains the same.

i.e.

J'habite à County Derry.

Also, whilst @FrenchUnicorn may be French and a powerful mythical creature, she isn't a translation service so it would be best not to tag her like that. :wink:

Okay, thanks😊😏
Original post by iEthan

i.e.

J'habite à County Derry.

Ty <3 and perfect :woo:

Original post by LittleIrishGeek
'I've moved house (X) times, however I've always lived in this county'Thanks

' j'ai déménagé X fois, cependant j'ai toujours habité dans ce pays '

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending