The Student Room Group

Uni Options

Since it's open day season, I've been looking at which unis I'd prefer to apply to since some have open days on the same day. For context, I'm a Y13 studying French, Spanish (a level) and Music production (btec), predicted A, A, disctinction. At uni I want to study combined French and Mandarin Chinese.

I have 6 unis in mind so far, 5 of which are on my UCAS currently (nothing set on stone yet though) and one which popped up as an option earlier today.

Uni of Leeds - the top choice, close to where I live, I'm familiar with the city, been to the open day, chatted with students and teachers, just found it really appealing. campus tour booked for mid-october
Uni of Liverpool - close to my grandparents, I think it's good for languages ?? haven't really looked in detail, open day booked next week
Uni of Manchester - better than manmet and Manchester is close enough to be in my comfort zone, open day clashes with newcastle open day
Uni of Newcastle - quite far but my friend who wants to study spanish, portuguese and latin american studies seems to really like it, she also said they have a good east asian studies department - open day booked, but might cancel for uni of manchester
Manchester Met - safe choice, since the grade boundaries are lower, open day booked

Uni of Birmingham - my dad suggested having a look at it, haven't researched much into it

Leeds is the top choice, but I'm looking into other places just incase I don't manage to get a spot there, however, I'm trying to finish up my personal statement soon and re-check and finalise everything so teachers can check my application and send it off asap.

So I'm looking for what advice people have when it comes to choosing and comparing unis. And if there's anyone who's studied/studying modern foreign languages at uni, is there anything that swayed you to go to the uni you went/are going to? Should I look at another 'safe' option with a lower grade boundary to put on my ucas list or should I be fine with the choices I've got?

Thanks !
Original post by charmaine.d
Since it's open day season, I've been looking at which unis I'd prefer to apply to since some have open days on the same day. For context, I'm a Y13 studying French, Spanish (a level) and Music production (btec), predicted A, A, disctinction. At uni I want to study combined French and Mandarin Chinese.

I have 6 unis in mind so far, 5 of which are on my UCAS currently (nothing set on stone yet though) and one which popped up as an option earlier today.

Uni of Leeds - the top choice, close to where I live, I'm familiar with the city, been to the open day, chatted with students and teachers, just found it really appealing. campus tour booked for mid-october
Uni of Liverpool - close to my grandparents, I think it's good for languages ?? haven't really looked in detail, open day booked next week
Uni of Manchester - better than manmet and Manchester is close enough to be in my comfort zone, open day clashes with newcastle open day
Uni of Newcastle - quite far but my friend who wants to study spanish, portuguese and latin american studies seems to really like it, she also said they have a good east asian studies department - open day booked, but might cancel for uni of manchester
Manchester Met - safe choice, since the grade boundaries are lower, open day booked

Uni of Birmingham - my dad suggested having a look at it, haven't researched much into it

Leeds is the top choice, but I'm looking into other places just incase I don't manage to get a spot there, however, I'm trying to finish up my personal statement soon and re-check and finalise everything so teachers can check my application and send it off asap.

So I'm looking for what advice people have when it comes to choosing and comparing unis. And if there's anyone who's studied/studying modern foreign languages at uni, is there anything that swayed you to go to the uni you went/are going to? Should I look at another 'safe' option with a lower grade boundary to put on my ucas list or should I be fine with the choices I've got?

Thanks !

Remember that you don't have to submit all 5 choices at once. You could hold a couple back until you've had some responses.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Remember that you don't have to submit all 5 choices at once. You could hold a couple back until you've had some responses.

wait actually ? could you go into more detail about how it works please ? the only thing I've been told by form tutors is that we get up to 5 choices, apply for 5 just to open the most doors for opportunity you can because the application costs the same whether you apply for 2 unis or 5 :pinch:
Reply 3

Thanks !

SOAS is amazing for languages
wait actually ? could you go into more detail about how it works please ? the only thing I've been told by form tutors is that we get up to 5 choices, apply for 5 just to open the most doors for opportunity you can because the application costs the same whether you apply for 2 unis or 5 :pinch:

Say you're unsure about your last choice. Apply with just 4 selected, see what responses you get, then simply add your fifth choice on UCAS later - but before the January deadline for equal consideration.
Reply 5
Original post by arhhm
SOAS is amazing for languages

just had a quick look now ! it has ABB entry reqs like the others, but i can't combine french and mandarin :frown:

Thanks !

You should be fine with the choices you have. Languages tend not to be very popular at the moment and wont be oversubscribed. The question is how limited are you as all your choices are very much up North. Is there another university that can replace Manchester Met. I dont think for your subjects you really need an insurance offer.

Thanks !

Hi there,

Glad to hear that you are visiting University of Liverpool for the open day! I hope you enjoy it and let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 8
just had a quick look now ! it has ABB entry reqs like the others, but i can't combine french and mandarin :frown:

You’re right such a weird combination

Thanks !

Happy to hear you've registered to attend one of our open days, @charmaine.d ! If you've got any questions, pop us a message and we'll be happy to help :smile: - Chloe

Thanks !

I agree with your dad, look into UOB - they're very good for Languages. I'm on my second year of a BA in Modern Languages (Advanced French, and doing Beginners Catalan this year but won't be continuing it), and I would recommend it. The uni in general is really good, both a city and a campus uni, easy to get around the area, and the campus is really nice (good library). For languages at UOB in general, I'm not sure what you'd like to know (ask away - especially if you're doing French!), but general info: you'll study a lot of culture, politics, and literature, as well as the language. You have 40 credits of 'core' modules per language per year, and then you can fill the rest of your credits (you'll study 120 per year - optionals are 10 credits each, unless they run in both semesters as 'co-requisites', like Literature A in sem 1 and Literature B in sem 2, in which case they're 20 credits) with optional modules - ranging from literature to gender to politics to history to translation to cinema to linguistics. And those optional modules are not just pertaining to the country / countries in which your language(s) are spoken - for example in first year I took a module about Portuguese colonialism.

The languages on offer are: Arabic, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.

Outside of actual classes, there's an MFL society that runs bar crawls, tapas nights, and a weekly (usually) languages café, which is an informal chill space to practise your language(s). There are also events in the department aimed at improving your employability or offering routes into language-related jobs. The first briefings about the year abroad were last week, so I can answer questions about that too.

As I said, I'm happy to answer questions about Languages at UOB, so if you want to know anything else, fire away!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending