The Student Room Group

Article: What university is really like

"I was excited about leaving home, meeting new people and having my independence. But I was also so nervous. Would I get on with my flatmates and make friends? Would I like my course? Could I look after myself?"
Emmzaa

Sound like you? Before you start uni, you're probably going to get hit by a similar barrage of emotions. It happens to most people; being a fresher typically means buzzing excitement whizzed up with nerves about stepping into the unknown.

Those nerves are easier to get past if you’ve got a better idea of what to expect. Happily enough, that’s exactly what you’ve got here. This guide features help and advice from students past and present on every aspect of starting uni.

What’s it like living in halls? Do you have to get blasted every night to fit in? Will you have enough money to live on? Read on for the answers to all your questions about the life of a fresher.

Read more >>

What are your experiences of uni? What questions do you have about starting? Join in the chat below.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nice paper!
Reply 2
University stresses me out and makes me mature, I am grateful to have the opportunity to go. As much as I complain about having 3 09:00ams, I should be thankful considering some people aren't lucky to have an education.

I've learned how to budget and the value of money. I have also learnt to have better time management skills when it comes to exams and coursework etc. Overall, it's shaped me up to becoming a better person.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sometimes, it seems that people could refine themselves more creatively without any compulsory education but owing to profound self-education and self-discovery. All those schools and univesities only take our precious time we could dedicate to travelling or inventing something on our own. Of course, a person has to be incredibly self-organized to achieve great knowledge without the help of univesities. But in my utopian view, I would just provide the world with the resources to study: great libraries, scientific centers, art galleries, literary communities... but not all those expensive and often pretentious educational establishments with appalling student loans. I wish we could have educational freedom.
I'm probably the most money-holding person I know and I can sort of cook so I can try and set up a restaurant in my flat so I'll probably be still on my loan by the end of the year, hoping for the best once I get into degree-level education

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending