The Student Room Group

Dissertation vs Journal Article, which should I choose?

Hi,

I'm in my final year and took up an independent research project which can be either a dissertation (8000-10000 words) or a Journal Article (6000-8000 words).

I've known I was going to do a dissertation the whole time as it looks better for employers, however since we've been given the option I want to know if there's any major difference when looking at employability? I'm hoping to go into banking (investment/private) after I finish.

Normally I would pick dissertation, however was told that a decent amount of students got their articles published in top-tier journals (I think 4*). I am at a non-target uni, so this could be really useful.

What should I do to maximize employability?

Thanks.
Original post by Reece03
Hi,

I'm in my final year and took up an independent research project which can be either a dissertation (8000-10000 words) or a Journal Article (6000-8000 words).

I've known I was going to do a dissertation the whole time as it looks better for employers, however since we've been given the option I want to know if there's any major difference when looking at employability? I'm hoping to go into banking (investment/private) after I finish.

Normally I would pick dissertation, however was told that a decent amount of students got their articles published in top-tier journals (I think 4*). I am at a non-target uni, so this could be really useful.

Thanks.

Hello,

Choosing between a dissertation and a published article is an important decision. For me, a dissertation reflects my passion, showcasing deep research and analytical skills. However, a published article, particularly in top-tier journals, offers credibility and networking opportunities. I’ll consult my advisor for personalized advice, ensuring my choice aligns with my research's impact and my career aspirations in banking.

Kind regards,
Roshan
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Reply 2
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello,

Choosing between a dissertation and a published article is an important decision. For me, a dissertation reflects my passion, showcasing deep research and analytical skills. However, a published article, particularly in top-tier journals, offers credibility and networking opportunities. I’ll consult my advisor for personalized advice, ensuring my choice aligns with my research's impact and my career aspirations in banking.

Kind regards,
Roshan
Coventry University Student Ambassadors

Okay thanks, I'll get in touch with a careers advisor at my uni.

Thank you.
Original post by Reece03
Hi,

Thanks.

Hi @Reece03,

Good luck in your final year, I hope you enjoy it and it all goes well.

This sounds like a very tough choice, as @Coventry University Student Ambassadors mention, your advisors/supervisors at university will be the best top advice you as they are aware of the sector you want to enter. If you have a careers service at your university I would recommend you contact them too as they may be able to signpost you to places that will help you make that choice.

How long do you have before you need to come to a decision?

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Reece03
Hi,

Thanks.

For going into work it doesn't actually matter - employers don't care whether you do a dissertation or not in general to my knowledge. It's one way you can demonstrate some specific kinds of transferable skills in e.g. working independently to deadlines, doing formal research and literature reviews, preparing long form written prose to given style standards etc, but a lot of these can be demonstrated other ways (even just through routine essay submissions you'll have done otherwise).

It really would be a factor mainly if you were looking to continue to graduate study, in which case if you can realistically get published that would be a significant feather in your cap I would anticipate (assuming it's a good peer reviewed journal and not a vanity press journal or predatory publisher). Although equally it's not expected and most wouldn't have that, and also if you wrote a very excellent dissertation with original research that is potentially of publishable quality, that might be something your supervisor could support you with adapting to publish anyway.

I'm a bit surprised that a lot of those doing the journal article are getting published - that's normally quite unusual for undergraduates. Are you sure they are peer reviewed journals? I'm assuming you mean "academic journals" and not like, journalism papers i.e. newspapers and so on and it's not actually an academic paper. As that's quite different.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
For going into work it doesn't actually matter - employers don't care whether you do a dissertation or not in general to my knowledge. It's one way you can demonstrate some specific kinds of transferable skills in e.g. working independently to deadlines, doing formal research and literature reviews, preparing long form written prose to given style standards etc, but a lot of these can be demonstrated other ways (even just through routine essay submissions you'll have done otherwise).

It really would be a factor mainly if you were looking to continue to graduate study, in which case if you can realistically get published that would be a significant feather in your cap I would anticipate (assuming it's a good peer reviewed journal and not a vanity press journal or predatory publisher). Although equally it's not expected and most wouldn't have that, and also if you wrote a very excellent dissertation with original research that is potentially of publishable quality, that might be something your supervisor could support you with adapting to publish anyway.

I'm a bit surprised that a lot of those doing the journal article are getting published - that's normally quite unusual for undergraduates. Are you sure they are peer reviewed journals? I'm assuming you mean "academic journals" and not like, journalism papers i.e. newspapers and so on and it's not actually an academic paper. As that's quite different.

As for post-graduation I’m not looking to go into research or anything academic. I’m looking at pursuing an MBA but I don’t know how relevant it would be for that.

And yeah from what I remember us being told it was 4 students that got published in a 4* academic journal last year. That’s what caught my attention as it’s not something I expected to come out of both my course and university.

Which is why I was torn as I’ve heard about dissertations since high school but getting published would be a pretty huge achievement and look great on a CV.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @Reece03,

Good luck in your final year, I hope you enjoy it and it all goes well.

This sounds like a very tough choice, as @Coventry University Student Ambassadors mention, your advisors/supervisors at university will be the best top advice you as they are aware of the sector you want to enter. If you have a careers service at your university I would recommend you contact them too as they may be able to signpost you to places that will help you make that choice.

How long do you have before you need to come to a decision?

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

I have about a month before I need to come to the decision - I’ll speak to a careers advice counsellor at my uni and see what they think.

Thanks,

Reece
Original post by Reece03
As for post-graduation I’m not looking to go into research or anything academic. I’m looking at pursuing an MBA but I don’t know how relevant it would be for that.

And yeah from what I remember us being told it was 4 students that got published in a 4* academic journal last year. That’s what caught my attention as it’s not something I expected to come out of both my course and university.

Which is why I was torn as I’ve heard about dissertations since high school but getting published would be a pretty huge achievement and look great on a CV.

Hi @Reece03

If you're certain you aren't looking to go into research or rigorous academia, then it doesn't particularly matter whether you go for the dissertation or the journal article, as both would display the necessary skills they'd be looking for if you were to pursue an MBA. More specifically, the ability to conduct formal research.

I definitely recommend speaking to your advisor and considering what would be more suited for you and your personal goals, as not one size fits all when it comes to higher education and career aspirations.

Best of luck! :smile:

Estelle
Third Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
The problem with papers is, that in case your research does not turn out to have the results it needs, then it might be difficult to publish. So the "cool, I need only a paper" can turn out into a nightmare as well. At least with peer-reviewed papers it can take 6 months to wait for feedback, so that is why I have to admit I am surprised as well, that so many students are able to publish in such a short time. I know too many people, where it takes ages. (PHD level.)

The thing is, you can always turn a dissertation into a paper, but the other way round not so much. I wrote a dissertation and as the results were good, we published it as well. It was the same for the other students in my working group. At the same time, nearly no one of us finished the paper before the dissertation. It was usually the other way round or at the same time. But then we did not publish in the top journals, there the process takes longer. (And for answering some questions, I conducted my research project in a quite privileged position, where we fully integrated in a top-rated research group with access to a lot of experiences scientist, we could ask for help. Otherwise, there would have been less student written papers in that group.)
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending