The Student Room Group

Is anyone here a hypochondriac?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
bump :frown:

I would love to speak to another hypochondriac rn :frown:

:frown:

I don't have it and consider myself fortunate in that sense. But, have you sought any professional help?
Original post by Conceited
I don't have it and consider myself fortunate in that sense. But, have you sought any professional help?

Not yet, but I probably will in the very near future.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I really would love to speak to someone who understands the debilitating side to this type of anxiety. :frown:

It's just difficult, especially when most people just tell you to stop worrying over nothing (which may be true). :colonhash:

I think my anxiety goes as far as to make me feel like I'm experiencing symptoms of the feared condition and it definitely makes me distrust what doctors are saying (recently I've been advised by 4 health professionals and still feel the urge for further proof) :colonhash:.

Does anyone else understand this anxiety? :redface:

Ah I went through this when I was younger, wasn't fun to say the least, I lost alot of weight because I was so stressed and couldn't eat and was contantly anxious to the point where I started getting chest pains (and in turn thought I now had heart problems too and a heart attack was inevitable haha) and like you developed symptoms that weren't actually there if that makes sense.
Firstly, STOP googling/looking into stuff online or anywhere else. You are NOT qualified to do so, most medical information online is extremely diluted and quite innacurate so unless you're studying a medical degree, it's difficult to differentiate etc.
Secondly, keep yourself really busy, go out alot, hang out with friends alot, do sports, travel, basically anything to make you forget about these 'illnesses'. What you want to try and do is break out of the routine if thinking that you're dying with x illness. That's what I did and now I never google anything unless it's really serious because I know it'll trigger my anxiety and stuff. There is a massive difference between a very obvious symptom of something serious and subtle things that you overanalyse etc.
I was convinced I had cancer at one point, my symptoms matched up perfectly. My gp thought I was fine but i pushed her to get tests done. Results all came back ok, but in the back of my mind I was convinced something was wrong and that I was terminally ill. That was a good 8 years ago. Funny because all those symptoms seem to have vanished now that I have stopped paying attention to every minute detail.
Yes there is a chance that you could have something serious, but what no one tells you is that the chances of that happening are very, very, VERY small.
Original post by Anonymous
Ah I went through this when I was younger, wasn't fun to say the least, I lost alot of weight because I was so stressed and couldn't eat and was contantly anxious to the point where I started getting chest pains (and in turn thought I now had heart problems too and a heart attack was inevitable haha) and like you developed symptoms that weren't actually there if that makes sense.
Firstly, STOP googling/looking into stuff online or anywhere else. You are NOT qualified to do so, most medical information online is extremely diluted and quite innacurate so unless you're studying a medical degree, it's difficult to differentiate etc.
Secondly, keep yourself really busy, go out alot, hang out with friends alot, do sports, travel, basically anything to make you forget about these 'illnesses'. What you want to try and do is break out of the routine if thinking that you're dying with x illness. That's what I did and now I never google anything unless it's really serious because I know it'll trigger my anxiety and stuff. There is a massive difference between a very obvious symptom of something serious and subtle things that you overanalyse etc.
I was convinced I had cancer at one point, my symptoms matched up perfectly. My gp thought I was fine but i pushed her to get tests done. Results all came back ok, but in the back of my mind I was convinced something was wrong and that I was terminally ill. That was a good 8 years ago. Funny because all those symptoms seem to have vanished now that I have stopped paying attention to every minute detail.
Yes there is a chance that you could have something serious, but what no one tells you is that the chances of that happening are very, very, VERY small.

Oh my gosh, you are me!!!! :-O

Well I hope you are me and I'm not actually going to get ill XD

I'm suffering with horrible chest pains right now and I think it's because I've stressed myself out SO much these past few days and I've been in this horrible depressed state -_-.

I really do, deep down, in my gut know that all my "symptoms" are from my mind and I know it's all anxiety but its hard to believe it all when I'm freaking the **** out all the time.

I wish you weren't anon :'-( If you can, drop me a pm. I'd love to speak to someone who understands it all.
Original post by Anfanny
Are you a hypochodriac or just annoying?

It's 'a fanny'... you are

'A fanny'
Original post by Anfanny
Are you a hypochodriac or just annoying?

No I actually have severe health anxiety and need help for it...which I'm waiting for at the moment.
Original post by Little Popcorns
It's 'a fanny'... you are

'A fanny'

You are a cock
Original post by Anfanny
You are a cock

That's not my screen name.

Yours is anfanny so...
When I first made this thread, it was bad but no where near close to what I've been through in recent months. December was absolute hell, I discivered a swollen node in my neck (which is still there) and since then I've had a chest x-ray and blood test again (all clear), I'm waiting on a non-urgent referal ENT appointment because my doc said she wanted to check it out because it's still present after 6 weeks, although she was quite sure it was benign feeling.

I still haven't got my appointment...or therapy for the anxiety...

I went through absolute hell in december and I wouldn't wish that kind of extreme fear on anybody, I spent two weeks unable to eat or sleep, I was mourning the loss of my health and acting as though I had already been diagnosed with some kind of a death sentence. :/

I still find myself getting abit triggered sometimes with cancer stories that pop up when I'm least expecting them (daily mail etc). But I'm coping better. Hopefully when I eventually meet with the ENT he will tell me I'm okay and i can hopefully just get on with life as I should.

:smile:
I had a severe bout of health anxiety last year - it was absolutely awful. Specifically, I was worried about the possibility of having cancer; and even with a lot of evidence to the contrary, I could never be convinced that I was perfectly physically healthy. My hypochondria got so bad I began to have horrendous psychosomatic symptoms, and I would just break down in tears randomly.

I hope the meeting with the ENT can calm your fears somewhat. Personally, I never went to the GP, because I said to myself that I'd rather die on my own terms than have to go through chemo and slowly wither away (which I viewed as inevitable, as I was wholly convinced of my illness), but I do wish I had received counselling for it. I feel as though it'd make my current anxiety easier to deal with.

Quick Reply

Latest