The Student Room Group

AQA AS geography

I was wondering if anyone had any revision tips or useful websites for the AQA AS geography course. On the new spec for 2017 exams and the revision resourses are non-existant?! :s-smilie: (I'm doing water and carbon cycles, natural hazards and changing places)

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the same boat as you! What a terrible spec this is (A teacher's opinion) and even worse that I had a terrible teacher from September to January who taught us the old spec! Be lucky if I get a C this year! How are you finding Changing Places? (I'm doing Coasts, Hazards and Changing places)
Reply 2
I have two teachers (one for human geography and one for physical); the teachers were a bit confused at the start which wasted so much time so we changed from the AS and A2 to just the A level exams at the end of year 13. Now we are doing water and carbon cycles, hazards, changing place and global governance (we havent decided what other human and physical topic) over the course of the two years. I absolutely loathe changing places!! I am more of a physical geographer and I just find that changing places has too much emotion involved and I don't really understand what is going on. (Although this could be due to my human geography teacher's lessons not being the best.) How are you finding it?
I'm with you there! I hate it! It doesn't help that I have a teacher without his PGCE! I'm really worried about passing this year because we have only done about 40% of the spec on coasts and hazards since we were being taught the wrong spec until December! We haven't even done our fieldwork. We are getting a new teacher in the next few weeks (Who we all love!) but I think it will be too late! Luckily the new spec is linear so we can save ourselves during A2 (I HOPE!)

I'm also doing Maths and Physics, and getting constant A's in both! I really hope geography doesn't prevent me getting into uni!
Reply 4
I'm just glad I'm not the only one having a stressful time with Geography! I have a feeling that a lot of people have had confusion with teaching the new spec so let's just hope the grade boundaries are in our favour and are lowered so we can all pass! I'm sure if you do extremely well in Maths and Physics, it will overrule Geography and uni's should still accept you. Also, the teacher who writes your reference could probably just mention that it isn't your fault for not getting a good grade in Geography. Do you know what you want to study at uni?
I know! Our class started with 14 students and now we are down to just 3 haha. I initially wanted to do Geophysics with Physical Geography but now I'm leaning more towards just a straight up physics degree, maybe Theoretical physics. How about you?
Reply 6
Original post by ScienceGeek1878
I know! Our class started with 14 students and now we are down to just 3 haha. I initially wanted to do Geophysics with Physical Geography but now I'm leaning more towards just a straight up physics degree, maybe Theoretical physics. How about you?

Same here! My class started with 12 and now there are 8. I want to do Geography at degree so I must do well. It's worried though because they are hardly any resources on our exam :frown:
I got excited the other week because physicsandmathstutor started a Geography section and said it has our syllabus but it does not seem all that helpful.
Original post by Jodiexx
Same here! My class started with 12 and now there are 8. I want to do Geography at degree so I must do well. It's worried though because they are hardly any resources on our exam :frown:
I got excited the other week because physicsandmathstutor started a Geography section and said it has our syllabus but it does not seem all that helpful.

Yeah I think we're all in the same boat, I don't think the teachers even know how to teach it if I'm honest! Good luck to you, we're all going to need it!
Reply 8
Original post by ScienceGeek1878

I'm thinking of doing Bsc Geography:tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Jodiexx

It's so hard to find useful resourses, but if everyone finds it difficult and doesn't do to well (hopefully we do), the grade boundaries might be lowered so we might have a chance of doing well! Do you know what uni you want to go to?:h:
I'm doing the same topics as you! I'm finding it tough too, especially with the lack of past papers. :frown: The worst is changing places to me, I'm on hazards now though.
Reply 11
Original post by SmallTown
I'm doing the same topics as you! I'm finding it tough too, especially with the lack of past papers. :frown: The worst is changing places to me, I'm on hazards now though.

I know, changing places is dreadful! I'm finding hazards alright at the moment though. What other subjects are you doing?
Reply 12
I've finally found my geography people!!!!

I love geography and nobody else seems to understand my passion :/

I'm doing AQA, the 2 year course (I'm year 12).
So far I've done hazards and coasts, halfway through changing places and nearly onto the water and carbon cycles.

I want to do geography at uni but I'm not sure what career it will lead me to. I like both physical and human but I lean towards physical a tiny bit more.
Any advice or career suggestions?

Also any advice for 20markers? The highest I've got is 14 marks I always seem to get 11/12 its so infuriating.
Original post by Aysha.M
I was wondering if anyone had any revision tips or useful websites for the AQA AS geography course. On the new spec for 2017 exams and the revision resourses are non-existant?! :s-smilie: (I'm doing water and carbon cycles, natural hazards and changing places)

the best way to revise it to use kerboodle. Ik its too much effort to go online onto the text book but i really helps. dont use bitesize the notes aren't detailed enough the NEW AQA SPEC GOES INTO SO MUCH DETAIL you are better just using the text book.
Reply 14
Original post by Mlb37
I've finally found my geography people!!!!

I love geography and nobody else seems to understand my passion :/

I'm doing AQA, the 2 year course (I'm year 12).
So far I've done hazards and coasts, halfway through changing places and nearly onto the water and carbon cycles.

I want to do geography at uni but I'm not sure what career it will lead me to. I like both physical and human but I lean towards physical a tiny bit more.
Any advice or career suggestions?

Also any advice for 20markers? The highest I've got is 14 marks I always seem to get 11/12 its so infuriating.

I feel like I can relate to you so much! Geography is definately my passion and literally the only thing I am good at!! Also, like you, I like physical and human but more on the physical side aha. I want to do geography at uni and go in to secondary teaching. Also, I can give you some tips for 20 markers- I always get full marks? Private message me on here because I don't want to ramble ahaa :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by Aysha.M
I feel like I can relate to you so much! Geography is definately my passion and literally the only thing I am good at!! Also, like you, I like physical and human but more on the physical side aha. I want to do geography at uni and go in to secondary teaching. Also, I can give you some tips for 20 markers- I always get full marks? Private message me on here because I don't want to ramble ahaa :tongue:

Sent you a pm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by omishas
the best way to revise it to use kerboodle. Ik its too much effort to go online onto the text book but i really helps. dont use bitesize the notes aren't detailed enough the NEW AQA SPEC GOES INTO SO MUCH DETAIL you are better just using the text book.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you talking about an online version of the Hodder education text book? (With the green leaf) That's the one I have but the hard copy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Completing the same new spec as you guys and girls, it is ridiculous with the lack of practice exam questions as I have already completed the two available specimen papers as best as I can.

I have dropped a serious email to AQA, asking for their thoughts on the whole thing and why it has taken them 6 months+ to get any bunch of exam questions out.
Reply 18
Original post by BenSainsbury
Completing the same new spec as you guys and girls, it is ridiculous with the lack of practice exam questions as I have already completed the two available specimen papers as best as I can.

I have dropped a serious email to AQA, asking for their thoughts on the whole thing and why it has taken them 6 months+ to get any bunch of exam questions out.

If it's any help, an aqa physical geography workbook has published recently and that's got some some exam questions in it. The human one hasn't been published yet though
:smile:
Original post by Mlb37
Correct me if I'm wrong but are you talking about an online version of the Hodder education text book? (With the green leaf) That's the one I have but the hard copy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yup depends on which board you are using

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending