The Student Room Group

Is there good employment for physics bachelors?

I am considering studying toward a BSc in physics, but if I were to go on to undertake postgraduate study I would like to work for a few years in advance of this, in part because advanced degrees are expensive.

Physics may have a fair range of applications in industry, and so may the analytical and practical skills associated with it, however I imagine that graduates from other fields (engineering, chemistry, earth science, etc.) may find their expertise more readily applicable.

Therefore, may I ask: What can one do, or what is one likely to do, with a BSc in physics?

I am also considering studying toward an MSci in lieu of an MSc. Could anyone advise as to whether the former would be notably less valuable in admission onto PhD programmes?

ye
Original post by Fedunck
Therefore, may I ask: What can one do, or what is one likely to do, with a BSc in physics?

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/physics

Original post by Fedunck

I am also considering studying toward an MSci in lieu of an MSc. Could anyone advise as to whether the former would be notably less valuable in admission onto PhD programmes?

In the UK the standard route to a PhD in the physical sciences is to do an MSci. Some people do an BSc + MSc, and some just do a BSc (becoming rarer), but most do an MSci.

Another thing to consider: it'll be cheaper to do an undergrad masters.

It really shouldn't make any difference as far as finding a PhD place is concerned.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice, folks. I will consult the recommended sources regarding employment, and I'll seriously consider doing an undergraduate master's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending