The Student Room Group

Undergraduate Study In Sweden

Afternoon all,

So, I've been doing a little searching through the forums and struggled to find any real discussions relating to UK students choosing to study in Sweden... So why not change that?

Now, following the 2020 exam fiasco I was aiming to do GAP year prior to going to university and employment. Unfortunately, Covid-19 never went away so GAP year programs did... I was planning to retake some A-levels in 2021 but Gavin le Williamson has only gone and done it again! So... what to do?

Well, I am not keen to applying to UK Universities - I think its fair to say that their performance over the last year has been... 'subpar' to put it generously...

Instead I looked into International studies and stubbled across Sweden. Little did I know that they had over 1000 fully English taught Undergrad and Masters program available with around 30000+ international students admitted each year. Most go to Lund, Stockholm, Karolinska and Uppsala.
Where Swedish studies excel at are Economics, Medicine, Sciences and Ecology.

The admissions process is much simpler than in the UK. All done through a single centralized system (Like UCAS). Most universities don't require a personal statements and grades are less relevant - as long as you haven't got a U at A-level then you have passed and can be considered for selection. (Basic requirements are 2 A-Levels with 3 GCSEs with at least Grade C in English Language and Mathematics)

With courses free for EU residence, I signed up to courses of Geography & Ecology / Economics & Politics at Lund, Malmö and Gothenburg (Autumn 2021 Intake).
I am curious to know any experiences of UK students who have specifically spent time studying in Sweden - whether that be as part of an exchange or full time international study, undergraduate or post-graduate. How does it compare to UK study?

I am also eager to know those of you who are actively applying for Sweden or considering it!

Worth mentioning that Autumn Intake applications end on January 15th each year with Spring Intake applications ending on August 16th...

I look forward to hearing your opinions! :ta:

-UPDATE- 19/04/2021
Got a place to study at Lund...
(edited 3 years ago)
I totally agree with you about moving out of the UK. Hope you're able to find some good info, I'm mostly looking at unis in Bulgaria.
It sounds like a good PR article XD but overall, I studied in both countries (Erasmus in Sweden), and prefer the British style of teaching (seminars lasting 1 hr - in Sweden 1.5-2hrs, the same applies to lectures). However, I easily got the best marks in Sweden - A (excellent) while in the UK you need to work harder to get the 1st class.
Original post by Anonymous
It sounds like a good PR article XD but overall, I studied in both countries (Erasmus in Sweden), and prefer the British style of teaching (seminars lasting 1 hr - in Sweden 1.5-2hrs, the same applies to lectures). However, I easily got the best marks in Sweden - A (excellent) while in the UK you need to work harder to get the 1st class.

Hey man thanks for the insight!

I didn't realise about the seminars being different but that's good to know! I have heard that the Swedish tend to be more informal and relaxed in their teaching so it doesn't surprise me that the grading is also more attainable. Then again, to my understanding the Swedish (and most other Europeans) tend to be... lets say more focused on their studies and less 'wild' than UK students during their time at Uni. I know that's a bit of a stereotype but how would you compare the attitudes and typical behaviour of the students between the two?

Cheers again!
Original post by emmadreamer03
I totally agree with you about moving out of the UK. Hope you're able to find some good info, I'm mostly looking at unis in Bulgaria.

Cheers man! Yeah it's a strange time for the nation... Best of luck with Bulgaria!
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
Cheers man! Yeah it's a strange time for the nation... Best of luck with Bulgaria!

It totally is! And a pandemic doesn't help haha. Thanks!
As a quick update to this... I got into the university of Lund to study a BSc in Physical Geography & Ecosystems.

Pretty pleased with this considering the grades I got last summer - there would of been almost no chance of me getting into an equivalently good British university had I applied... :rofl3:
As a quick update to this... I got into the university of Lund to study a BSc in Physical Geography & Ecosystems.

Pretty pleased with this considering the grades I got last summer - there would of been almost no chance of me getting into an equivalently good British university had I applied... :rofl3:

Hey congrats! That's great :smile: I got my acceptance letter at Trakia uni in Bulgaria :biggrin:
Bumping this thread because I'd be quite interested to know how @SoonToBeExpat is doing in Sweden? How is Lund? Snakker du svensk nå?

I'm in a slightly different position - began my BA at UCL in 2019, took 2 years off during Covid and went to Norway, came back for my second year in London but hated the city so much that I got permission to go back to Norway and finish my studies online. I'm just about to go to Oslo on an 'exchange' (not really an exchange as I am in Norway already, but heyho).

I regret not studying geography so I have been considering dropping out and starting again, in Norway or perhaps Sweden. I like the look of the programme you are doing, SoonToBeaExpat. I applied on a whim to the Bachelor in International Environment and Development Studies at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences this year as a plan B and I got in. Not yet decided what to do, but I will probably finish my current degree and then do a second one if I still miss geography.
@Snufkin Hey man! Sorry for the delay!

Tyvärr pratar jag lite svenska, but perhaps I'll get there one day!! Lund, and by extension Sweden, has been a phenomenal experience. The sense of euphoria from when I first arrived still hasn't completely settled down. Above and beyond all expectations, I feel very indebted to this place - now at a crossroads on whether to return home to try for the Royal Navy upon graduating or whether to carry on with one of the master programs... But still have some time to decide, besides right now I find myself in Norway until the end of the year - an exchange to UNIS to study courses in Geophysics! It's only been two weeks but I think I can begin to see why you're thinking of coming back. Many congratulations on the offer - have you come to any decision?

I think it's difficult to go wrong with any sort of study in Scandinavia. Although I'm very curious; how do you find the academic level at UK universities post pandemic? I have a brother who is studying engineering at Newcastle but he has had such a different experience compared to me. Most notable is that the vast portion of teaching is still taught remotely, seemingly there is very little reason or opportunity to physically go to the university... I've also spoken to a few exchange student from/who went to the UK and they had very mixed views. How have things been at UCL?
@Snufkin Hey man! Sorry for the delay!

Tyvärr pratar jag lite svenska, but perhaps I'll get there one day!! Lund, and by extension Sweden, has been a phenomenal experience. The sense of euphoria from when I first arrived still hasn't completely settled down. Above and beyond all expectations, I feel very indebted to this place - now at a crossroads on whether to return home to try for the Royal Navy upon graduating or whether to carry on with one of the master programs... But still have some time to decide, besides right now I find myself in Norway until the end of the year - an exchange to UNIS to study courses in Geophysics! It's only been two weeks but I think I can begin to see why you're thinking of coming back. Many congratulations on the offer - have you come to any decision?

I think it's difficult to go wrong with any sort of study in Scandinavia. Although I'm very curious; how do you find the academic level at UK universities post pandemic? I have a brother who is studying engineering at Newcastle but he has had such a different experience compared to me. Most notable is that the vast portion of teaching is still taught remotely, seemingly there is very little reason or opportunity to physically go to the university... I've also spoken to a few exchange student from/who went to the UK and they had very mixed views. How have things been at UCL?

Hey! Wow UNIS, I am very jealous. I would love to spend some time in Svalbard. Maybe one day...! I decided to stick with my current Bachelor, so I am on 'exchange' in Oslo right now. After the year ends, I can pretty much go anywhere as UCL are letting me finish remotely. I may do my final year of my bachelor in Oslo, but it is more likely that I will go somewhere else in Norway. Probably back to the west/fjords, or if I can get a job, up north.

Not a fan of UCL to be honest. It has been endless strikes since I started in 2019, and in my field at least (humanities) the teaching is mediocre. That is why I am able to finish remotely haha. I will almost certainly take a second bachelor here, or a masters.
Reply 11
Hello, @SoonToBeExpat I've just seen your comment on a different post then came across this! Do you know how it works for UK students since Brexit? Do we know have to pay international fees? It sounds like you've had an amazing experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending