The Student Room Group

econ undergrad degree job prospects?

I'm thinking of majoring in econ for undergrad but does it have good employment opportunities? I wouldn't go for working in non profits or gov jobs though and can you start working right after your bachelors?
Original post by shumaysah
I'm thinking of majoring in econ for undergrad but does it have good employment opportunities? I wouldn't go for working in non profits or gov jobs though and can you start working right after your bachelors?

I think economics is generally quite broad so you can go into finance, banking, teaching, business, etc. Have a look at the lists provided by different unis of careers you can go into if you do a certain degree.
Reply 2
Original post by sophier2005
I think economics is generally quite broad so you can go into finance, banking, teaching, business, etc. Have a look at the lists provided by different unis of careers you can go into if you do a certain degree.
thank you for your reply!
Hey there! Majoring in Economics is a really good choice as it will open up a wide range of employment opportunities across VARIOUS sectors (finance, consulting, data analysis...) Yes non-profit and government jobs are commonly associated with Econ majors, however, I think that you'd have plenty of opportunities in the private sector as well.
As for starting work right after your bachelor's, yes, it's entirely possible! I'd say internships, co-op programs, and networking opportunities during your undergrad will significantly enhance your chances of securing employment post-graduation along your major being Economics.
Just keep in mind that building a strong resume, gaining relevant experience through internships or part-time jobs, and developing your professional network can all play crucial roles in landing your desired job straight out of university.
Lastly, I would highly advise you to seek guidance and constantly reach out to your prospect university advisor and professors as it could be extremely helpful.
Best of luck, I hope you figure it out!
Hiba
Richmond Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending