The Student Room Group

C1 Integration - how do I know if I need to work out c (on a past paper question)?

The papers I have done haven't needed you to work out c, but one that my friend did the other day, he needed to find the value of c after integrating. I think his question may have been related to a coordinate geometry one, im not sure though.

Do you ever need to find the value of c when integrating? if so, how do you know whether or not you need to work out c, or if you can just leave it as "+c"?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by blobbybill
The papers I have done haven't needed you to work out c, but one that my friend did the other day, he needed to find the value of c after integrating. I think his question may have been related to a coordinate geometry one, im not sure though.

Do you ever need to find the value of c when integrating? if so, how do you know whether or not you need to work out c, or if you can just leave it as "+c"?

Thanks

If you are given x and y values plug them in to find c then rewrite with the integral with +c

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blobbybill

Thanks

Only if the curve goes through a specific point.
Reply 3
Original post by mahmzo
If you are given x and y values plug them in to find c then rewrite with the integral with +c

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, that would be why this question needed you to find the value of c, it has a coordinate with the x and y values given.
Screenshot_166.png

Thank you!
Reply 4
It all depends on the context.
Reply 5
Original post by RDKGames
Only if the curve goes through a specific point.

Thanks. I see now I have found the question, that it obviously gives you that specific point for you to get the x value from to plug back into the integral to find c.

Screenshot_166.png

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest