The Student Room Group

Regarding indentations and paragraphing in a personal statement.

My personal statement, as it is now, has a blank line between each paragraph to separate them.

Like this.

However, it's also at the moment 4 lines over the line limit, but it's still within the character limit. So I'm wondering if I should reformat it so there's no blank lines but just a new line and an indentation instead? It would keep it within the line limit if I did this.

All the statement examples I've seen online have put empty lines between paragraphs in their statements so I'm not sure what to do with this. What have you guys done? Does it matter how you format your paragraphs in a statement? Thanks.
Reply 1
I've just finished my PS and for a new paragraph I just used the next line without indentations. Skipping a line or indenting is a waste of precious characters tbh
Original post by bluesoup10
My personal statement, as it is now, has a blank line between each paragraph to separate them.

Like this.

However, it's also at the moment 4 lines over the line limit, but it's still within the character limit. So I'm wondering if I should reformat it so there's no blank lines but just a new line and an indentation instead? It would keep it within the line limit if I did this.

All the statement examples I've seen online have put empty lines between paragraphs in their statements so I'm not sure what to do with this. What have you guys done? Does it matter how you format your paragraphs in a statement? Thanks.

Indentations are stripped out by UCAS.

The only way to clearly paragraph is to leave blank lines. But no university will reject you for not leaving blank lines - you just risk admissions staff missing important points when they read your ps if it is poorly formatted.
Reply 3
I'm a strong believer in paragraphs as I think that they make a piece of writing far easier to read. However, with my PS I was just under 4000 characters but quite a bit over the line limit thanks to my use of paragraphs.

I used a new line instead (like just pressing enter once), which I really don't like, but the way I wrote meant that there was a clear transition between ideas so I think it's fine.

So yeah, as long as you've written clearly when going from topic to topic, I think you should be fine with just a new line/indentation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending