The Student Room Group

Personal Statement help

Hi I'm applying for modern languages (french and beginner italian)
I have a 9 in gcse and predicted an A* in alevel french however not sure other than that how to show my suitability and interest for the subject

I have helped out in my teachers class teaching lower years previously however not sure if this is significant enough to include and was wondering what else I should include or do before i apply and just generally confused about what to include throughout the statement

As im taking italian as beginner too I'm unsure wether or not I show my interest for this language in the statement as I've never previously studied it and also am quite unsure of how to do so
Reply 1
Say why you enjoy languages, why learning Italian appeals to you and any experience you have with the languages. Culture, science, literature and art are all relevant too. What holiday experiences have you had in French and Italian speaking countries

Italian is a fabulous language and will be relatively easy to learn for an English and French speaker. Many world parallels with English, many grammar parallels with French, and simpler because pronunciation is phonetic and the noun genders transparent. Maybe start with an evening class or a few lessons at a language school
In my personal statement, I did an introduction sentence as its own paragraph, another introduction paragraph, a paragraph on academic-related competitions, a paragraph on my favourite books (which were related to the subject I applied for), a paragraph on extra-curricular activities, and a conclusion paragraph. Other than the introduction and conclusion, the order of the paragraphs doesn't really matter.
Helping out in your teacher's class isn't really notable enough to include unless it was part of a formal qualification.
Since you are taking italian, you have to show your interest in the language in the introduction and conclusion paragraphs. You can try to think to yourself about what is so great about the subject of italian, and what specific aspects of the course you are interested in.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending