The Student Room Group

veterinary medicine personal statement

hi everyone i am currently writing my personal statement for vet medicine. do i need to do any wider reading or mention any? i have only just found out about it, and realised i dont have any lol. is this mandatory to my personal statement or do i declare i dont have any? thanks.
Reply 1
They care more about things like work experience, I really wouldn’t be concerned over wider reading in personal statement. For vet med most schools don’t even look at your PS. Wider reading is defo something you should do and your teacher can use it in your reference but don’t waste PS characters on it. I didn’t mention any wider reading in mine and essentially got all my offers (I withdrew from one before my interview) x
There is a really good resource stickied at the top of this forum for how to lay out your Vet Med personal statement. I personally think it's worth mentioning if you still have room after talking about work experience.

If you wrote about a case you saw on work experience, and then wanted to mention some wider reading you did around this particular case, I would say that's a great idea. :smile:
Original post by chickenrun100
hi everyone i am currently writing my personal statement for vet medicine. do i need to do any wider reading or mention any? i have only just found out about it, and realised i dont have any lol. is this mandatory to my personal statement or do i declare i dont have any? thanks.

Hi I didn’t write ablut wider reading when I applied. My structure was this:

Intro/why I wanna be a vet

Paragraph 1 (big paragraph) experience on farm placement, what I learnt, how it relates to the course, skills I learnt (if applicable to situation), how it would make me a suitable candidate/good vet

Paragraph 2- same as paragraph one but with a small animal hospital case.

Paragraph 3- extra cirriculars/a levels, skills I learnt and why they make me a better candidate (I think this was 5 lines max)

Conclusion/final paragraph (can’t remember what I put here)

Or it was soemthing like that I can’t quite remember

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending