The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry

Hello
right, i'm just about to start my second year of a biomedical science degree at Keele Uni. Am seriously looking into medicine as a career, when i say looking into what i actually mean to say is 'i am going to be a doctor even if it kills me'
however my problem is i dont know whether to go for GEM or undergrad. i know that the common sense thing says go for the GEM course, but i dont know if i want to. my A level grades were ****e (biology, chemistry, physics - C,D,E) and i'm hoping that this isnt going to affect my application once i have my degree (currently on target for a 1 / 2:1) but i'm a little nervous about it.
i know i have a while yet, am going for entry 2009, but i'm one of these people that has to be stupidly organised, lol
Han
Reply 1
Simple, GEM IS undergrad :wink:
It'll be a problem in some places but not in others. Contact the universities, they know best.
Reply 3
Fluffy
Simple, GEM IS undergrad :wink:

I can so tell you were a scientist :biggrin:
Her sig kinda gives it away.
I thought you needed a minimum of BBB?
UCL 5 year requires BBC. There probably are requirements at some universities but I doubt BBB is the cut off point for all. Most of the time they just do it to keep their applications down to levels they can manage.
BBB is the cut off for some places, yes, however for 5 year courses the A-level requirement is often lower or even waived in lieu or graduate performance...

I'd advise you to simply strive for the 2i (or 1st if you're THAT person...:p:) and also...DONT be narrow-minded, there are great opportunities with a biomedical science degree (MLSO, med sales, etc) so make sure medicine is definetely for you before making that quantum leap :smile:
Reply 8
Warwick dont look at your A level grades or GCSEs so it would be a very good option as it is a very good uni in the top 10 of both Times and Guardian Uni Guides.
graemematt
BBB is the cut off for some places, yes, however for 5 year courses the A-level requirement is often lower or even waived in lieu or graduate performance...

I'd advise you to simply strive for the 2i (or 1st if you're THAT person...:p:) and also...DONT be narrow-minded, there are great opportunities with a biomedical science degree (MLSO, med sales, etc) so make sure medicine is definetely for you before making that quantum leap :smile:

What is MLSO?

BTW how come you're doing an MSc instead of applying straight for medicine?
Reply 10
Medical Laboratory Scientific Officer - a term not really used any more. More commonly referred to as Biomedical Scientists.
Reply 11
After doing visits to the path lab with uni i have been put off ever working in one, it just looks so boring and repetitive!
Been looking at med schools like Brighton and sussex, hull york, and southampton
hannie555
After doing visits to the path lab with uni i have been put off ever working in one, it just looks so boring and repetitive!
Been looking at med schools like Brighton and sussex, hull york, and southampton

I've done a year of a chemistry degree doing 6-8 hours lab work a week which isn't that much really, but let me tell you something, it IS boring and repetative. The chemical fumes also start to go to my head after a few hours which surely cant be healthy.

Latest

Trending

Trending