The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
a question for the girls mainly, unless boys want to contribute...

whats everyone planning on wearing when they turn up? i'm thinking about this only because i'm packing clothes at the moment, and can't decide. i'll have a pretty long car journey, so i'm thinking jeans, but it'll also be cold, so i dunno whether to go for strappy top and zip up jacket +coat (if needed), or something else. also...trainers or cute white pump things with a flower on them?

i sound like the member who gossips don't i...
Elles
i said i wanted to stay at Oxford for clinicals.. would i sound totally frivolous to make this dependent on whether our hood is half as good.. :redface:

oh my..i want one!!! :biggrin:

I know at Oxford Master's of Surgery have purple silk hoods and Doctor's of Medicine get a scarlet red one.
Reply 582
I've been pondering that vitally important matter too. I think I'll go for a long skirt and layers - probably a long sleeved top and zip up cardigan as I'll get hot rushing round unpacking etc. I'd go for trainers as they're comfy; don't want to have painful feet to contend with on a day like that!
Reply 583
Minta
I've been pondering that vitally important matter too. I think I'll go for a long skirt and layers - probably a long sleeved top and zip up cardigan as I'll get hot rushing round unpacking etc. I'd go for trainers as they're comfy; don't want to have painful feet to contend with on a day like that!

this is true. hmm methinks cute trainers, jeans, pretty belt, and funky red top. or comfy boots.arg arg
you know you have too much time on your hands when this question becomes quite so pressing :rolleyes:
Reply 585
BazTheMoney
I know at Oxford Master's of Surgery have purple silk hoods and Doctor's of Medicine get a scarlet red one.

Baz! Apostrophes for plurals! How could you! :eek:

And besides, we won't be doctors of medicine, only bachelors. But we do have VERY pretty hoods.

I think for going up tomorrow I'll wear my casual jeans, a pink v-neck top with a zip up top in case it's cold. I'm not sure what I'll wear for Freshers' day yet.
Reply 586
Helenia
Baz!
I think for going up tomorrow I'll wear my casual jeans, a pink v-neck top with a zip up top in case it's cold. I'm not sure what I'll wear for Freshers' day yet.

bright orange ball gown. u know, make an entrance. none of the freshers will ever forget you :tongue:
Reply 587
priya
a question for the girls mainly, unless boys want to contribute...

whats everyone planning on wearing when they turn up? i'm thinking about this only because i'm packing clothes at the moment, and can't decide. i'll have a pretty long car journey, so i'm thinking jeans, but it'll also be cold, so i dunno whether to go for strappy top and zip up jacket +coat (if needed), or something else. also...trainers or cute white pump things with a flower on them?

i sound like the member who gossips don't i...

I'm here now and it's not cold. I wore khakis, a t-shirt and just a zip-up tracksuit style top, which kept me warm enough. Just dress comfortably and you'll be fine - Cambridge only turns evil and bitterly cold after Christmas. :smile:
i think all the fresher-greeting students at pembroke have pale blue hoodies
hehe
Helenia
Baz! Apostrophes for plurals! How could you! :eek:

sorry! :redface:
Reply 590
sbailey
I'm here now and it's not cold. I wore khakis, a t-shirt and just a zip-up tracksuit style top, which kept me warm enough. Just dress comfortably and you'll be fine - Cambridge only turns evil and bitterly cold after Christmas. :smile:

Yeah, but Steve - everyone you'll be meeting in college this week knows you already so it doesn't matter what you wear. For the Freshers this is hugely important :rolleyes: as you want to look good on your first day (and I want to look ok when I meet my children, one of whom is an MIT exchange student :cool: ) so there's a difference - and hence why I haven't decided what to wear yet :tongue:

Rosie - yeah, lots of JCRs will have hoodies in college colours so you can recognise them. Ours are black with yellow writing.
Reply 591
Helenia
Yeah, but Steve - everyone you'll be meeting in college this week knows you already so it doesn't matter what you wear. For the Freshers this is hugely important :rolleyes:

Don't be silly, I don't know anyone in my college! :tongue: J/k of course... I rock!

Actually, it's a little weird, because D staircase Cripps is full of medics waiting for PfP to begin. The rest of college is dead at the moment, except for all the tourists, who still stop you getting anywhere in good time because they simply have to take a picture of each other on every bridge and in every doorway.
Reply 592
Helenia
Yeah, but Steve - everyone you'll be meeting in college this week knows you already so it doesn't matter what you wear. For the Freshers this is hugely important :rolleyes: as you want to look good on your first day (and I want to look ok when I meet my children, one of whom is an MIT exchange student :cool: ) so there's a difference - and hence why I haven't decided what to wear yet :tongue:

Rosie - yeah, lots of JCRs will have hoodies in college colours so you can recognise them. Ours are black with yellow writing.

yey someone who understands my dilemma!

do loads of the students have cord jackets? it's a trend i noticed when i went to interview...i have one, but i don't want to be a sheep and wear it on the first day! hmm might just be best off in me reebok trakkie like, an me lacoste traineees
Reply 593
sbailey
Actually, it's a little weird, because D staircase Cripps is full of medics waiting for PfP to begin. The rest of college is dead at the moment, except for all the tourists, who still stop you getting anywhere in good time because they simply have to take a picture of each other on every bridge and in every doorway.

I think Clare is going to be ok, there are lots of boaties back as well as all three of us medics, so I might make it through the first week without dying of boredom.

Priya - I can't say it's something I noticed, but I'm not hugely observant. I don't own one, but I shouldn't take that to mean anything significant.
Reply 594
Helenia
I think Clare is going to be ok, there are lots of boaties back as well as all three of us medics, so I might make it through the first week without dying of boredom.

I knew you liked boatie chat really.
Reply 595
sbailey
I knew you liked boatie chat really.

Depends on the boatie :tongue:

If I'm nice they might teach me how to row a bit, so I can see if I like it before having to make a tit out of myself with all the freshers.
Helenia

If I'm nice they might teach me how to row a bit, so I can see if I like it before having to make a tit out of myself with all the freshers.

I've told how to row... :rolleyes: Catch - Drive - Finish - Recover.
Reply 597
Helenia

Yeah, they can teach you the "Cambridge technique". Hey Baz, do Oxford use the Cambridge technique? Or do they call it the Oxford technique? :rolleyes:
Reply 598
BazTheMoney
I've told how to row... :rolleyes: Catch - Drive - Finish - Recover.

Yes, but whether I can actually DO that, despite knowing the words, is another matter.

Steve, I have no idea what you're talking about :tongue:
sbailey
Yeah, they can teach you the "Cambridge technique". Hey Baz, do Oxford use the Cambridge technique? Or do they call it the Oxford technique? :rolleyes:

No, at Oxford we're taught that clashing blades isn't the way to maintain speed.

Latest

Trending

Trending