The Student Room Group

Thread on PPLE in the University of Amsterdam

Scroll to see replies

I got ‘fast tracked’ as I did my exams last year and am currently on gap year, so they could speed up my application. Was weird as there was no mention of fast track on websites, I only found out when they emailed. Sorry, didn’t mean to confuse, it’s not like if you haven’t heard you’ve haven’t got in! Essay round for early bird is soon right?
Reply 21
Hi James, thanks for the reply! That gives me some ease at mind knowing that I’m not actually getting rejected (yet!) haha. Anyway the deadline for early bird is 15th of January so I’m guessing afterwards they’ll tell us. In any case enrolment decision comes after April 15th I think. Because essay round is late jan/early feb and then interview round is March. You’re lucky that you are in a gap year must be very chilled out. For me on the contrary I’m in the midst of the IB and it’s hell on Earth...we’ve just so much **** to do. Anyway I’ll let you know once I get my reply.
Don’t worry, I’m chilled now but A levels last year were hell...you’ll pull through, trust me. Does anyone know how PPLE is viewed among employers? Because it’s a new degree and in Netherlands most people do Masters, I haven’t found much info.
Original post by JamesCS1999
I got ‘fast tracked’ as I did my exams last year and am currently on gap year, so they could speed up my application. Was weird as there was no mention of fast track on websites, I only found out when they emailed. Sorry, didn’t mean to confuse, it’s not like if you haven’t heard you’ve haven’t got in! Essay round for early bird is soon right?

Congrats on your offer! When did you apply? How long did they take to get back to you with the essay round and interview?

I was under the impression the early bird deadline was November 30th?
I applied sometime in November. They were quick, as I already had my grades from last year so they could process me quickly - at least I think that’s what happened! I think Early Bird essay round should be in a week/10 days
Reply 25
Original post by JamesCS1999
Don’t worry, I’m chilled now but A levels last year were hell...you’ll pull through, trust me. Does anyone know how PPLE is viewed among employers? Because it’s a new degree and in Netherlands most people do Masters, I haven’t found much info.

Because it's a new course, the first batch of graduates just graduated in the last academic year - so I guess we still need to wait to see the results. In any case I think it's a great programme that is accepted internationally (mainly because of it's interdisciplinary status). You can branch out in any of the four subject areas for your masters which is f*ckn great. I went to the open day last year in February and they told us how some people can go on to stuff like Social Psychology at UCLA (just an example); but it shows that it's internationally accepted for masters. It'd be kinda pointless doing just a bachelors - no real high quality employment with just a Bachelors.
That's true, I guess we will just have to wait and see. In the UK there isn't the same culture of doing Masters. Whilst more and more people are doing them, I'd still say the majority don't as all major employers say minumum educational requirement is 2.1 - 7 in Dutch system - from uni. I'm not sure yet whether i want to do one, which as you said is why PPLE is so good as it keeps options open.
I can't deal with this waiting anymore :biggrin: They have to get back to us by the 20th, right? Because that's when the essay round starts.

Or has anyone who doesn't have their final grades heard back?
Reply 28
Original post by lilyisstressed
I can't deal with this waiting anymore :biggrin: They have to get back to us by the 20th, right? Because that's when the essay round starts.

Or has anyone who doesn't have their final grades heard back?

I haven't hear back yet either - I was hoping they would send me an offer on Saturday (my birthday) as a good birthday present...unfortunately not :'(. Also you have given me a bit of panic by saying that the Essay round starts the 20th!? Can you 100% confirm that this is when the essay round starts?! I'm just because I have an incredible amount of work to complete during this time (very stressed atm). If so do you know how the long we have to write the essay?

Also a more general question for all of you, how will you approach the essay given that you have gone onto the next round?
Reply 29
Original post by NayC33
I haven't hear back yet either - I was hoping they would send me an offer on Saturday (my birthday) as a good birthday present...unfortunately not :'(. Also you have given me a bit of panic by saying that the Essay round starts the 20th!? Can you 100% confirm that this is when the essay round starts?! I'm just because I have an incredible amount of work to complete during this time (very stressed atm). If so do you know how the long we have to write the essay?

Also a more general question for all of you, how will you approach the essay given that you have gone onto the next round?

The essay round is 20-23rd of January.. So we’ll probably hear between now and the 19th. I don’t know how I’ll approach the essay. I think I’ll have to wait and see what the subject is..
Reply 30
I have just received an email, I’m through to the essay writing stage! Anyone else?
Original post by F.E
I have just received an email, I’m through to the essay writing stage! Anyone else?

Me too! I haven't read the whole email yet, but I'm very happy :smile:
Reply 32

Congratulations!
Reply 33

I haven't received anything yet...I live in the UK - maybe it's something to do with that? wb you guys??
Reply 34
Original post by NayC33
I haven't received anything yet...I live in the UK - maybe it's something to do with that? wb you guys??

Not sure. I live in the Netherlands myself, so maybe that’s why they sent my email first?
Reply 35
I think thats why as well. I'll update once I got an offer.
Original post by NayC33
I think thats why as well. I'll update once I got an offer.

I haven't heard anything either and am currently living in the UK as well.
Reply 37
Original post by matteawueee
I haven't heard anything either and am currently living in the UK as well.

Yeah I think we'll receive it tomorrow!
Reply 38
Hi everyone,
Hope the offers have been coming in well for you all. I just got rejected by PPLE, but am a bit confused as to why I was. They stated that I did not meet the entry requirements, specifically they said "Your grade point average (GPA) does not meet the required minimum grade, and if applicable you still need to overcome your deficiency for mathematics and/or English.".

When I applied in October, I applied with my transcript for the whole past 4 years of my high school. The last two years have been IB and I had a predicted 5 in math standard level and a predicted 6 in english. My GPA is still now 4.07 - In total I have 34 predicted points (without the 2 extra points I also got in TOK/EE).

As a result I have been left immensely bewildered at my rejection and hope to appeal it. It was my top choice too so I intend to try again.

Is there anyway you guys can prove me wrong - and that indeed I do not meet the requirements?
Reply 39
Original post by NayC33
Hi everyone,
Hope the offers have been coming in well for you all. I just got rejected by PPLE, but am a bit confused as to why I was. They stated that I did not meet the entry requirements, specifically they said "Your grade point average (GPA) does not meet the required minimum grade, and if applicable you still need to overcome your deficiency for mathematics and/or English.".

When I applied in October, I applied with my transcript for the whole past 4 years of my high school. The last two years have been IB and I had a predicted 5 in math standard level and a predicted 6 in english. My GPA is still now 4.07 - In total I have 34 predicted points (without the 2 extra points I also got in TOK/EE).

As a result I have been left immensely bewildered at my rejection and hope to appeal it. It was my top choice too so I intend to try again.

Is there anyway you guys can prove me wrong - and that indeed I do not meet the requirements?

I just had a look at the IB entry requirements, and it seems to me that your grades are good enough.. I’d send them an email asking what they’re basing their rejection on. Tell them about your grades, and how they’re good enough, judging by their own entry requirements on the site.

Good luck and please tell me how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending