The Student Room Group

Thread on PPLE in the University of Amsterdam

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone! I just came across this thread and got an interview invitation as well! Anyone here that knows anything about the interview? I heard it's pretty much a friendly conversation where you reflect on motivation letter and essay but there's nothing you can prepare really. Has anyone heard more/different opinions?
Reply 61
Original post by arielyk
Awesome! Congratulations!

You too!
Congratulations to everyone who got through! I sadly didn't and even though I am disappointed, at least I don't have to learn Dutch :biggrin: I hope everyone here will get their spot in the end and have a great time studying in Amsterdam.
Reply 63
Original post by lilyisstressed
Congratulations to everyone who got through! I sadly didn't and even though I am disappointed, at least I don't have to learn Dutch :biggrin: I hope everyone here will get their spot in the end and have a great time studying in Amsterdam.

That’s a shame! What did they base their rejection on?
Original post by F.E
That’s a shame! What did they base their rejection on?

Didn't really say. Something about how there were very many, very strong candidates. :/
Reply 65
Original post by rebeccasc
Hey everyone! I just came across this thread and got an interview invitation as well! Anyone here that knows anything about the interview? I heard it's pretty much a friendly conversation where you reflect on motivation letter and essay but there's nothing you can prepare really. Has anyone heard more/different opinions?

I’ve heard pretty much the same thing. I suppose they just want to test your social skills or something?
Reply 66
hey everyone! I just had my interview a while ago, I think it went pretty well! Have you guys had your interviews? How did it go?
Reply 67
Hello! Mine is tomorrow. What did the interview consist of?
Reply 68
Original post by arielyk
hey everyone! I just had my interview a while ago, I think it went pretty well! Have you guys had your interviews? How did it go?

Thanks
Reply 69
It was a very informal chat, got asked to introduce myself, why PPLE, something about my essay, what ECs I see myself joining, what I think about studying abroad and do you think you’re prepared for the workload yeah mostly those questions. It lasted around 15 minutes including questions I asked my interviewer. It was really enjoyable, my interviewer actually read my essay and was curious about me as a person so I was really glad I got to do the interview. Best of luck to you!
Interview is not something to stress about! I spent ages prepping it and was so unnecessary. Just be able to say a few things about yourself and why you wanna do Pple(so ur mot. Letter) and then know your essay, which you should as you wrote it!
Reply 71
I am hoping to apply to UVA next year, so watching this thread with interest.

How are you getting on finding accommodation now you have been accepted on the course? Are you going to arrange your own accommodation or go through UVA?
Going through UVA. Briefly considered organising it myself but my cousin, who is studying PPLE at moment, said it wasn't necessary as Uni will find you accommodation if you are organised and do it around may/june. Of course you can look yourself but going through Uni has the benefit of likely being in same block as students, whereas of course doing it privatrly will most likely result in you being in a normal block of flats without uva students. Choice is yours though
Reply 73
Hi guys, just found this thread yesterday and it has been extremely helpful!
However, my interview is due today and I remember someone saying the interviewer asked which ECs you were willing to join. What is EC's? Not the same as ECTS, is it? Can't really find much when googling it... Anyone care to explain? Would be majorly thankful! And congrats to those of you who made it to the interview as well!
Reply 74
Original post by KajsaSB
Hi guys, just found this thread yesterday and it has been extremely helpful!
However, my interview is due today and I remember someone saying the interviewer asked which ECs you were willing to join. What is EC's? Not the same as ECTS, is it? Can't really find much when googling it... Anyone care to explain? Would be majorly thankful! And congrats to those of you who made it to the interview as well!

ECs are extra-curricular activities.
Reply 75
Original post by JamesCS1999
Going through UVA. Briefly considered organising it myself but my cousin, who is studying PPLE at moment, said it wasn't necessary as Uni will find you accommodation if you are organised and do it around may/june. Of course you can look yourself but going through Uni has the benefit of likely being in same block as students, whereas of course doing it privatrly will most likely result in you being in a normal block of flats without uva students. Choice is yours though

Thanks James. Are you a UK student? How have you found your school's reaction to wanting to study in The Netherlands? My school have been luke warm to say the least. They are very Oxbridge/Russell Group driven and ill-informed about Dutch Universities - they keep telling me how low down they are ranked in international league tables for example, lectures and seminars have hundreds of students and that they are just 'cash cows'. I have reminded them that UK courses for politics, like Birmingham Uni, only have 6 hours contact a week and are way below UVA in all league tables... it is going to be an interesting year ahead!

Good to hear about accommodation. This is my biggest worry. Am I right in thinking rooms come unfurnished and you have to buy a furniture package? How far is your cousin's accommodation from the PPLE dept?

What does your cousin think to the course? Is there a huge drop out in the first year? What is the workload like?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 76
Original post by rebeccasc

- it is really friendly please don't stress!

- things like 'why PPLE', 'why a small scale place not x instead'
Reply 77
They’ve just sent me an email! I received an offer! What about the rest?
Reply 78
Original post by F.E
They’ve just sent me an email! I received an offer! What about the rest?

Same. I’ve received a conditional offer today and I’m extremely happy about it! :smile:)
Reply 79
Original post by Czarek
Same. I’ve received a conditional offer today and I’m extremely happy about it! :smile:)

Congratulations!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending