The Student Room Group

Fifth choice?

Definitely applying to SOAS, QMUL, Goldsmiths and City but I can't decide what to do for my fifth choice.

My other choices are LSE, which I'd love to go to but don't have very much chance; UCL, which, again, I'd love to go to but I'm not sure how much of a chance I'd have (especially as their course is Politics & East European Studies, yet I am applying to just Politics everywhere else); Westminster, which I'm not that keen on going to because it doesn't have the best reputation (but then again, neither do my other choices apart from SOAS, but I know people who go there and have more of a chance of getting into.

Are there any middle of the range to high ranked London unis that I've forgotten about?? I really don't want to have to apply to Middlesex or Greenwich, which are the only others I can think of that I have any interest in going to.

I don't know much about London Met or Brunel...

Scroll to see replies

What about European studies at King's? It covers a lot of of politcal and economic issues [I believe it is listed under politics]

I am not sure what your grades are.. but the standard offer is ABB.. it might be worth a shot?
Reply 2
Brunel maybe
You might as well give it a go! If you try then at least you have a chance at getting an offer!
Reply 4
alexkay674
What about European studies at King's? It covers a lot of of politcal and economic issues [I believe it is listed under politics]

I am not sure what your grades are.. but the standard offer is ABB.. it might be worth a shot?

Unfortunately I don't have a language at A level, or I'd totally apply as I am in love with King's. :frown: Thanks though!
alexkay674

european studies at kings isn't a good place to learn politics or economics unless european studies is what you are looking for. politics as a course isn't available there, the closest course is war studies.
Reply 6
Yep. I considered applying for War Studies, but I want a more general politics course. :smile:

I've narrowed my choices down to:
Politics & East Europeans Studies @ UCL
Politics @ Westminster
Politics & a yr abroad @ Kent

the last two, mainly because I have more chance getting in with my situation but I'm not overly keen on going to them.

Not sure whether to apply for UCL with a PS based only on politics, not mention of Europe at all...
politics with east european studies isn't a difficult course to get into at ucl, so i don't think they really care about whether you mention eastern europe in you PS. besides only year 2 is when you have to study politics and society in eastern europe, though you can do more if you want. and war studies...yeah won't give you what a broad politics course does.

other places outside of london with your grades are probably manchester, essex, and birmingham which are okay. or if you really want to stay in or around london you can try rhul, qmul and goldsmiths. i think those all have politics courses.
oh right you had goldsmiths and qmul already my bad
Reply 9
drive like june
politics with east european studies isn't a difficult course to get into at ucl, so i don't think they really care about whether you mention eastern europe in you PS. besides only year 2 is when you have to study politics and society in eastern europe, though you can do more if you want. and war studies...yeah won't give you what a broad politics course does.

other places outside of london with your grades are probably manchester, essex, and birmingham which are okay. or if you really want to stay in or around london you can try rhul, qmul and goldsmiths. i think those all have politics courses.

I'd like to stay in London ideally. Maybe I'll apply to UCL then, do you know much about the course? It looks mainly politics based on here and being able to learn the basics of a language would be cool.

I just decided to apply to Westminster for my fifth, now I want to apply for the UCL.

sooo I've got SOAS, UCL, City and then two from Westminster, QMUL and Goldsmiths. :mad: why did they lower it to five choices? grrr
QMUL and Goldsmiths.
Reply 11
Drop Westminster and apply to:

UCL
SOAS
Queen Mary
Goldsmiths
City
vixky!
It looks mainly politics based on here and being able to learn the basics of a language would be cool.

yeah thats why i said i dont think they really care about eastern europe in you PS. just take westminister off. you only really need ONE back up choice. there is no point in having more than one really
London Met is the most nice university to study European studies!
A dream will come true if you enroll at this prestigious university!
It's a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
Contact London Met to get an immediate offer!
London Met's reputation is matched by none in London, in UK, or anywhere else in the whole world!

(please do anaylse my suggestion carefully. I hold no responsibility towards your future if anything goes wrong...)
Reply 14
akmd
Drop Westminster and apply to:

UCL
SOAS
Queen Mary
Goldsmiths
City

Soo Goldsmiths instead of Westminster?

They were the two I was going to choose between them two, but I chose Westminster because it's more central to London.
well thats true, i hear horrible things about new cross. but people also say they find it okay or get used to it. but really, don't stress over your back ups, its pointless. if you screw up your exams, go through clearing and its likely both goldsmiths and/or westminister will be there. but goldsmiths is better for poiltics. for sure
Reply 16
Okay thanks. :smile:

as for New Cross, I'm from near there originally so I'm not worried about it. I actually think it's quite a nice area lol. I'm just a city girl so would love to be in the centre of London.
Reply 17
vixky!
Soo Goldsmiths instead of Westminster?

They were the two I was going to choose between them two, but I chose Westminster because it's more central to London.

Definitely Goldsmiths. Westminster may be more central but it lacks the academic repute of Goldsmiths. Also having valuable resources such as Senate House is also a big plus.
westminister, better night life, all round reputation
drive like june
well thats true, i hear horrible things about new cross. but people also say they find it okay or get used to it. but really, don't stress over your back ups, its pointless. if you screw up your exams, go through clearing and its likely both goldsmiths and/or westminister will be there. but goldsmiths is better for poiltics. for sure

Really!? I'm not sure what you are founding these assumptions on, Westminster has the CSD (Centre for the Study of Democracy), the DAL (Diplomatic Academy of London) and just recently the Prime Minister delivered a key note speech at Westminster and met with CSD staff.

You obviously need to do a bit more research and get a feel for each institution by visiting and see what they have to offer and look at who will be teaching you. Plus Westminster offer very generous scholarship packages - depending on your predicted grades, you could look in to this.

http://home.wmin.ac.uk/dal/

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/sshl/page-2405

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/page-13127

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/sshl/page-0

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/page-15299

Latest

Trending

Trending