The Student Room Group

5th Choice Medicine UCAS

Has anyone ever applied for something other than Biomedical sciences as their 5th and got an offer? I'm thinking of doing Maths as my fifth choice. Could anyone say what they put as their fifth choice, did they get an offer, and what uni. And did you do a seperate PS, or kept the Medicine one.
(edited 6 months ago)
Hey there,

People's 5th choices tends to be Biomed or Pharmacy, or some other healthcare-related degree. Although funnily enough I advised a person here about a month or so ago thinking of putting Maths as their 5th choice as well. You have to remember though, that you can only submit a single personal statement to UCAS. I don't think doing this is a great idea and if anything, it shows that you're not fully decided on Medicine, and Medicine is one of those careers where you need to be absolutely sure that that's what you want to do...

This is the other person who's considering this and his thread, hope it's useful. If you need to ask more questions, please don't hesitate :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7399347#post98811123

P.S.: moved your thread out of Medical schools and into the main Medicine applications forum!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hey there,

People's 5th choices tends to be Biomed or Pharmacy, or some other healthcare-related degree. Although funnily enough I advised a person here about a month or so ago thinking of putting Maths as their 5th choice as well. You have to remember though, that you can only submit a single personal statement to UCAS. I don't think doing this is a great idea and if anything, it shows that you're not fully decided on Medicine, and Medicine is one of those careers where you need to be absolutely sure that that's what you want to do...

This is the other person who's considering this and his thread, hope it's useful. If you need to ask more questions, please don't hesitate :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7399347#post98811123

P.S.: moved your thread out of Medical schools and into the main Medicine applications forum!

Thank you!

I understand that Medicine is a huge commitment you need to be sure of, and for a while I’ve been in between Medicine and Natural Sciences/Maths. I’m starting to lean more to medicine but I’m naturally good and enjoy maths too and feel that I’d prefer to take that route if medicine didn’t work out rather than biomedical science and taking a longer route or transitioning to a different biomedical career. I’m fairly certain I should be able to get into a medical school (hoping for 4 A*s, I got top grades in gcse in school). I think I’m more inclined to medicine because I really want to help people and I don’t find the typical maths careers of accountants or engineers interesting to me, but I love the maths content itself and it comes naturally. So I’m not really sure what I’d put for my fifth. In an ideal word I’d put Natural Sciences so I could take biochem and more maths/physics courses too but that’s only offered at Cambridge and some other unis. I really want to go to Oxbridge but I know it wouldn’t be reasonable to send two different applications to Oxbridge. I think ultimately I don’t want to just take ‘biomedical sciences’, but that’s what everyone advises.

Also I’m not sure but do unis know what your other choices were?

Also thank you for moving my thread and linking the over one, appreciated 😊
Original post by study23!
Thank you!

I understand that Medicine is a huge commitment you need to be sure of, and for a while I’ve been in between Medicine and Natural Sciences/Maths. I’m starting to lean more to medicine but I’m naturally good and enjoy maths too and feel that I’d prefer to take that route if medicine didn’t work out rather than biomedical science and taking a longer route or transitioning to a different biomedical career. I’m fairly certain I should be able to get into a medical school (hoping for 4 A*s, I got top grades in gcse in school). I think I’m more inclined to medicine because I really want to help people and I don’t find the typical maths careers of accountants or engineers interesting to me, but I love the maths content itself and it comes naturally. So I’m not really sure what I’d put for my fifth. In an ideal word I’d put Natural Sciences so I could take biochem and more maths/physics courses too but that’s only offered at Cambridge and some other unis. I really want to go to Oxbridge but I know it wouldn’t be reasonable to send two different applications to Oxbridge. I think ultimately I don’t want to just take ‘biomedical sciences’, but that’s what everyone advises.

Also I’m not sure but do unis know what your other choices were?

Also thank you for moving my thread and linking the over one, appreciated 😊

You're in a tricky situation. It's not easy, I'm sorry. You'll have to give some serious thought as to what you'll do. Wish you the best of luck!

Universities don't know your other choices. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending