The Student Room Group

5th option

Hello, I was wondering what sort of thing people were thinking about choosing for their back up choice. Would you recommend an option with a lower grade requirement, and if so, how much lower? Would AAB be alright?
I put Biomed way back when and the entry requirements were like ABB or something like that. Just put something with an entry requirement that you're sure you'll achieve (if you're aiming for Medicine you should reasonably expect to at least clear AAB so that'd be alright in my opinion). Also put something that you'd be OK with doing - I put Biomed in Newcastle purely because I heard they head a transfer scheme. Then it turns out that's my only offer, which is when I realise that I never had any intention of going to Newcastle and that I wasn't keen at all on Biomed anyway. That year, for me, it was Medicine or nothing. If that is the case for you too, you should skip your fifth choice - but plan and be ready for a gap year. Biomed is a popular course and not too bad in the great scheme of things, so if you want to choose that, go for it. Bonus points if you choose a place with a transfer scheme to Medicine so you may have the chance to get in through the back door. Perfectly fine way to get into Medicine, I just wasn't up for it and you shouldn't let that sway your decision. Pharmacy is a popular fifth choice too. Radiography is often overlooked but I think it would make a killer fifth choice. You should really look it up, it has considerable overlap with medicine, loads of anatomy and it should set you up nicely if you want to attempt graduate entry medicine when you finish the degree.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
I put Biomed way back when and the entry requirements were like ABB or something like that. Just put something with an entry requirement that you're sure you'll achieve (if you're aiming for Medicine you should reasonably expect to at least clear AAB so that'd be alright in my opinion). Also put something that you'd be OK with doing - I put Biomed in Newcastle purely because I heard they head a transfer scheme. Then it turns out that's my only offer, which is when I realise that I never had any intention of going to Newcastle and that I wasn't keen at all on Biomed anyway. That year, for me, it was Medicine or nothing. If that is the case for you too, you should skip your fifth choice - but plan and be ready for a gap year. Biomed is a popular course and not too bad in the great scheme of things, so if you want to choose that, go for it. Bonus points if you choose a place with a transfer scheme to Medicine so you may have the chance to get in through the back door. Perfectly fine way to get into Medicine, I just wasn't up for it and you shouldn't let that sway your decision. Pharmacy is a popular fifth choice too. Radiography is often overlooked but I think it would make a killer fifth choice. You should really look it up, it has considerable overlap with medicine, loads of anatomy and it should set you up nicely if you want to attempt graduate entry medicine when you finish the degree.

Good luck!

Thank you! I wish you luck this year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending