The Student Room Group

Salters Hornes CWK Young Modulus of a scooby

My cwk is investigating the youngs modulus of a scooby. A scooby is a hollow plastic string like thing. My experiment used the pulley clamped to the bench method and attaching weights.

I have my results and have worked out the change in area for each load and have a graph of stesslog10 vs strain.

I'm a bit lost as to what to do next though (I've lost my cwk guide thing). I'm a bit stuck on what error bars i should do, i thought I could have made an error of 0.005m on measuring the extension and so on the x axis of my graph an error bar of +-0.005. But what for stress?

What do i need to conclude? How do I tell if my sample obeyed hookes law?

And then do i evaluate my method? I read in this thread Morbo's suggestion for a more accurate experiment, but I don't quite understand the reasoning for it (something about temperature change) or how exactly its done
P.S

If anyone knows of any websites with cwk guides or tips or anything that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 2
I'm doing Salters Horners c/w too, we got to find 2 parts of physics at the Bradford Museum we went, a few weeks ago and I cant find much advice on the net either. The best thing to do is ask your teacher because nobody does the same c/w for salters (at least I dont think so)

Latest