The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In most cases, you have your predicted grades, previous grades already written in.

You ALSO have an academic reference which usually talks about how well you do in those subjects and what skills you employ.

Why then cover the ground for a THIRD time?

In some cases a couple of sentences will be fine, in others it is of value to go a bit more in depth (ie. studying English Language at uni and doing English Language A Level :P)...
Unless you have something good to say, I wouldn't bother saying what you think of your A-levels (etc).

I put in a short paragraph about my A-levels and how they relate to my degree choice (Maths), however there's no point of just saying "I did English Lit. because of x. I did Biology because of y." etc.
Reply 22
jonnythemoose
AS History has given me analytical skills...etc.

i put that aswell ahahaha!!!
maddi_666
i only included a short paragraph about my alevel subjects, simply because we were forced to by our head of year, doesn't look to have done me any harm :smile:

I didn't mention anything about the subjects I study, apart from saying what interest me about that subject and mentioning about further reading etc.
we were told he wouldnt send it unless a little bit was included, so o well, it was like state the obvious: history has helped develop analytical skills whilst literature has helped me to understand and develop literary skills, whilst biology has developed my lab techniques. You know the drivvle
Reply 25
well bcos im applying for economics ...and i ain't doing economics i wrote about which area in business studies that i enjoyed the most and why i enjoyed it blah blah...so i dunno about u guys but i spoke about my subjects. I think its very important but if sum1 else applied and got offers and never wrote about their subjects then i think its optional init
Reply 26
maddi_666
we were told he wouldnt send it unless a little bit was included, so o well, it was like state the obvious: history has helped develop analytical skills whilst literature has helped me to understand and develop literary skills, whilst biology has developed my lab techniques. You know the drivvle

I think you've covered it all there. You're "stating the obvious", and suggesting it's "drivvle"

So you can see why it's completely pointless :smile:
Reply 27
They KNOW what A-levels youre doing, they probably read that information literally seconds before reading your personal statement. Only mention them if its relevant to why you want to do the course e.g. there's a certain bit of the A-level course that you really got in to and part of the reason for applying to do your subject is so you have the opportunity to explore that particular aspect in more depth at Uni etc. etc.
yup to be fair i think our head of year thinks that admission tutors only have half a brain cell...I can't complain though 5/5 offers, 2 of which were reduced :smile:
you can just give the reasons why you chose your subjects and how they link with your desired course at uni. also stated my grades at AS (my good ones) just to draw their attention since nowadays, a lot of predicted grades (47% to be precise) of predicted grades are overestimates
I imagine it is probably more relevant for arts subjects (where skills are paramount) than for science subjects (where knowledge is self-explanatory.)
Reply 31
A few lines is just fine. It may be worth mentioning how they relate to your course, and what parts of them link to your choice of course etc. But otherwise, I didn't dedicate too much of mine to A-Level information because there isn't that much space, as well as not an awful lot to say either.
Your education information is elsewhere anyway, e.g. in your reference.
Reply 32
I wouldn't - it just seems redundant.
Reply 33
they will already have information about what subjects you're doing. its better if you talk about what you got out of those subjects or what you acheived/learned from those subjects.
maybe say how they link with what you want to do in University/how it reinforces your desire to take on a particular course for higher education and how it'll give you a chance to expand your knowledge.

my head of year actually made me write a paragraph about all the subjects I did and say what I found "enjoyable". =/

ummm...hpe I wasn't too vague.
**** i never wrote dat on my one....but i think i'll get in uni without it, looool.

Latest

Trending

Trending