The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Sambo2
well I'm in a catered hall and the food is excellent (like really really good..). I know however that this is not the same in all halls but I think the food is acceptable across the board. I would say catering is worth it unless you have very specific dietry needs since noone really wants to cook at the end of a long day when you could have pretty good food made for you.

In terms of ensuite there is no denying it is quite a good luxury (I'm in a traditional hall so no ensuite) but I would say from what I've heard that DRA isn't socially as good and you do often hear complaints about that whereas I would say a traditional hall is probably a more close knit community so whilst ensuite is probably good there is a trade off - also DRA is a long way out of town (well 25-30mins) so that is another factor to take into account. If you want my advice go for chattan or regs or uni hall. Standard bathrooms = no problem in my exerience, it isn't an issue, they are always cleaned (every day) and I'm not sure really where the advantage of having an ensuite really comes from - If you've got the money and dont mind being in DRA and new hall then go for it but i would say standard is a better option imo.

Thanks, this post was really helpful. I would say I'm concerned about catering since I'm vegetarian, and though I'm sure veggie meals will always be available, in my experience they tend to pretty homogeneous at places like universities. I have to say I'm surprised at what you said about DRA - I assumed the bigger the hall, the more social events would be on. I'll definitely take what you said into consideration - I do like the idea of staying in an older hall.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
ImperceptibleNinja
Firstly, see the link that la_banane_verte posted.

Personally, I've lived in catered and self-catered university accommodation, and although in theory being catered in my first year was good for social purposes, in practice I'm not sure it was the best of decisions for me.
I have always found the kitchens in self-catered accommodation quite alright, although you need to be prepared to work with people in terms of storage space. They get crowded if everyone cooks at once, but this rarely affected me much.

The bathrooms in catered halls can vary, if they're in a quiet spot, then they will probably be nice and clean most of the time. Some of the ones in catered halls get foul over the weekends [the cleaners are away and people throw up and pee in the wrong places - 'no, that's a sink, no, that's the floor, no that's still the floor, ohh, you were so close, but I'm sorry, that was the toilet seat...'], but even then, you don't have to go far to find a clean alternative - and once you know where to find the good ones, it's fine. Some idiot/legend in my first year poo'd in a shower, and we got told about it over dinner :biggrin: But that was most definitely a one-off, and the industrial cleaners dealt with it. Anyway... moving on... the moral is, wear water-resistant shoes if you need the loo at weekends.

I would rather pay more to be in catered accommodation than to be in ensuite accommodation, I think. In self-catered, you have to add on the cost of buying food, but in self-catered, you don't need to spend much at all.

Edit: In Fife Park, DRA and Albany Park, you need to clean everything youself. And DRA is well located for the North Haugh, so it's a better option if you have lectures there rather than in town.

Thanks, another really helpful reply. Would you say you would feel socially excluded as a self-catered first year? (I did read the link above but felt it didn't answer my questions in quite enough depth, hence the extra post :wink: )
fever skin
Thanks, this post was really helpful. I would say I'm concerned about catering since I'm vegetarian, and though I'm sure veggie meals will always be available, in my experience they tend to pretty homogeneous at places like universities. I have to say I'm surprised at what you said about DRA - I assumed the bigger the hall, the more social events would be on. I'll definitely take what you said into consideration - I do like the idea of staying in an older hall.

*Hijack* :wink:
I'm vegetarian too... the food was ok in halls, and I probably wouldn't have wanted to eat their non-veggie options even if I ate meat usually :p: I think they all rotate the same few weeks of food over and over, so what I got to the stage of 'Oh no, not that again...', regardless of how nice 'that' was.

I think DRA is ok socially if you're prepared to make an effort at breaking out and meeting people, but it's not as easy as in halls, where there are people to see all the time, and daily meals with everyone together.

Edit: In response to what you just asked... You do have flatmates in self-catered halls, and all the halls make an effort to have stuff heppening in Freshers week. If you take advantage of that, and all the general events organised by the uni and the union, then you certainly still have a good start in getting to meet people. Societies are also a good way of meeting people.
I didn't find being in catered halls that helpful socially... a lot of their events didn't really appeal to me. Being self-catered gave me more independence and I think that suited me more in planning my own activities.
Reply 183
having said all that you know that you can't actually choose... it's all pot luck really :smile:
ImperceptibleNinja
*Hijack* :wink:
I'm vegetarian too... the food was ok in halls, and I probably wouldn't have wanted to eat their non-veggie options even if I ate meat usually :p: I think they all rotate the same few weeks of food over and over, so what I got to the stage of 'Oh no, not that again...', regardless of how nice 'that' was.

I think DRA is ok socially if you're prepared to make an effort at breaking out and meeting people, but it's not as easy as in halls, where there are people to see all the time, and daily meals with everyone together.

Edit: In response to what you just asked... You do have flatmates in self-catered halls, and all the halls make an effort to have stuff heppening in Freshers week. If you take advantage of that, and all the general events organised by the uni and the union, then you certainly still have a good start in getting to meet people. Societies are also a good way of meeting people.
I didn't find being in catered halls that helpful socially... a lot of their events didn't really appeal to me. Being self-catered gave me more independence and I think that suited me more in planning my own activities.

Thanks again. You just told me what I wanted to hear :smile:
Sambo2
having said all that you know that you can't actually choose... it's all pot luck really :smile:

Ah, I do know that but is it not possible to state a preference for catered/self-catered and standard/ensuite on the accommodation form?
Reply 186
fever skin
Ah, I do know that but is it not possible to state a preference for catered/self-catered and standard/ensuite on the accommodation form?

yep you can
Reply 187
Is there no way at all to influence the selection?
A wee note or something :p:
Reply 188
Paul92

I tried that and it didn't work for me...
Reply 189
Sambo2
I tried that and it didn't work for me...

You just sent it in with a note attached stating your preference?
Maybe it'd annoy them :s-smilie:
Reply 190
Paul92
You just sent it in with a note attached stating your preference?
Maybe it'd annoy them :s-smilie:

I just wrote my preferance at the bottum - didnt work but now I'm in a good hall anyway so deosnt really matter
fever skin

I'm not vegetarian, but I do tend to prefer vegetarian food, and now that I'm in Albany Park (self catered) I find myself cooking 99% vegetarian food. I was in University Hall last year, and tbh I chose the vegetarian option most times over the meat option, they were pretty good in my experience! :yep:

Firstly the catered vs self-catered, I've been in both, and love both. I would say that catered for my first year was most definitely worth the extra money, and definitely the right choice for me. It's a great way to lessen the shock of moving away from home etc, and myself being very shy, the hall atmosphere with meal times etc was a great way to meet and get to know people. Also the hall parties in Uni Hall were amazing fun, and very regular - another way in which to meet and get to know people. I would recommend Uni Hall to anyone, as with everyone else I knew in Uni Hall last year, I was genuinely very very sad to leave that hall and the wonderful community feel it has. :o: (University Hall is, if not the hardest, one of the hardest halls to get back into in further years due to it's popular demand with many students wishing to remain there after their first years. It is both and old and a new hall, most 1st years would get a room in the new wing (where I was) which is absolutely fantastic, and has all the mod cons, yet still the atmosphere of an old hall, what with all the unique traditions Uni Hall has. It is also an old hall that many people forget about, it has beautiful old common rooms, with grand pianos, and is one of the oldest halls at the uni I've been told (It was the first hall in Scotland for female students)!

I am now in Albany Park, and am really enjoying my time there. I am living with a most amazing group of friends who I was in Uni Hall with last year. The accomodation is not nearly the standard Lumsden Wing of Uni Hall is, but it is perfectly adequate, and tbh I don't feel we need anything more, especially considering it is half the price of University Hall, and most catered halls , and the second most cheap hall of them all (only to Fife Park which is due to be demolished before next year (???)). Albany also has a great community feel that I didn't expect from a self-catered "hall", and there are events (not as many as in Uni Hall) held throughout the year for the residents to get to know each other. Personally I have not had time to attend many of these events as this past semester I have had had too much work to do much else (silly science and arts degree means I had to do more modules than usual), and already having friends from last year, I wanted to spend time with them, so not actually being in a "hall"-like atmosphere that you get in a catered hall, it is not as easy to get to know other people in the self-catered situation. Albany is also in a fantastic location, literally about 30 seconds from the beach, if that! And, although many people make it out to be far far out, it really isn't that bad! It is about 30-45 mins walk from the sports centre, but from the three main streets where most lectures will take place, it's about 10 mins walk. (this is about the same for Uni Hall, except being on the other side of town, Uni hall is right next to the sports centre). Most people do however buy bikes if they are in Albany.

I would warn against DRA, I also have heard that it is very difficult to get to know lots of other people there, and that there is not very much of a community feel. It is also hugely expensive in comparison to other halls. New Hall is similar in what I have heard from people that lived there last year. However, I have never lived there, so don't just take my word for it.

Oh, and yeh, tbh it's the people that make the hall, so tbh it doesn't matter that much, I think that most people I have known have been very happy with where they have been placed, and the only problems I have heard of have been people not being able to afford the likes of DRA and catered New Hall, and also that there is not always such a community feel in DRA, but otherwise, every hall is good! :smile:

Sorry I'm rather tired, so if any of that doesn't make much sense, sorry :o: , but please get in touch if you have any more qus!

:smile:
Paul92

Wow... you have '92' in your name. I feel really old now :frown:

Anyway. I'm not sure what options the form has now, but I think you still get to state preferences, e.g. catered or self-catered, ensuite or not, single or shared... so that does give you some power in trying to narrow down the options they would ideally give you.

If you're good at asking nicely, then I would still support the idea of putting a little note at the bottom saying, 'I would love to be in <such and such hall>. Thanks :smile:', or something like that. However, I would try to keep it very short, maybe with a reason or two why. Accommodation services tend to have waves of having a lot to deal with, so making a load of extra work for them isn't going to make them view your application favourably.

Edit: In terms of Fife Park, I am lead to believe that the new accommodation they are building is expected to be ready several weeks before fresher's week 10-11. However, I think small bits of the current Fife Park might remain, although I am not certain if the council are prepared to renew the full HMO licence, so they may not have all bedrooms inhabited, and the rent, although currently artificially lowered, might rise alightly to compensate. I don't know.
The 'New Fife Park' is more like DRA. I think some of it will be very similar, some might have single rather than double beds, and I think they might have some lower-rise flats with shared bathrooms. I'm basing this on my vague memories of 3 years of what they've discussed, so I might be wrong. I am not sure about price, but I would be surprised if it was hugely cheaper than DRA currently is.
Wisely, the uni has ensured that if the building work runs late, the company doing the building will give them huge amounts of money - so, the new acommodation should be ready on time, and if it's not, the uni will be able to afford to house students elsewhere while it is completed.
Paul92

I did politely write asking for either St Regs or University Hall if possible (pref Uni Hall as it's near my lectures which were in Purdie, and because I didn't feel comfortable sharing a room as I am very shy) at the bottom of mine, I got University Hall, whether it was because of that or not, I have no idea... but I don't think you're strictly meant to do that... :s-smilie:

If there's a certain hall you're looking at, just try make all your prefences match it as well as you can (ie Uni Hall, most 1st years get a catered standard single room, so ask for that; DRA would be self-catered ensuite single room; the likes of McIntosh, Regs, Salvators would be catered standard shared room; Albany would be self-catered standard single room etc etc)
Reply 194
sophie_c
I did politely write asking for either St Regs or University Hall if possible (pref Uni Hall as it's near my lectures which were in Purdie, and because I didn't feel comfortable sharing a room as I am very shy) at the bottom of mine, I got University Hall, whether it was because of that or not, I have no idea... but I don't think you're strictly meant to do that... :s-smilie:

If there's a certain hall you're looking at, just try make all your prefences match it as well as you can (ie Uni Hall, most 1st years get a catered standard single room, so ask for that; DRA would be self-catered ensuite single room; the likes of McIntosh, Regs, Salvators would be catered standard shared room; Albany would be self-catered standard single room etc etc)

well almost except there are a lot of single rooms in McIntosh so it's a bit random there
sophie_c
I would warn against DRA, I also have heard that it is very difficult to get to know lots of other people there, and that there is not very much of a community feel. It is also hugely expensive in comparison to other halls. New Hall is similar in what I have heard from people that lived there last year. However, I have never lived there, so don't just take my word for it.

Thanks, this post was also very helpful. A lot of people seem to be saying this about DRA, so I think I might consider going catered, though probably only for first year, as I'm quite shy :o:
Seeing as everyone seems to be knocking it, I'll give an alternative perspective on DRA. It is true that you aren't forced to meet as many people because you don't have set mealtimes, but the people that you do meet you tend to become closer friends with than you would if you were in a catered hall. There is definitely not a lack of parties/social events - there are loads of flat parties in freshers week (and well beyond) and the committee put on plenty of events in freshers too.

It's also easier to throw a party in DRA, as you have a large kitchen/common area in each flat. There are very few shared rooms in DRA, so you don't really have to worry about getting a roommate if that's something you'd rather avoid. I have nothing against shared bathrooms, but it is very convenient having your own - no waiting to use it or wondering what that odd looking stain is. You also get a double bed, so you can have people over and they don't have to sleep on the floor/squash into a single with you.

It's also not half an hour out of town as people seem to think - it can quite easily be done in 15 minutes, and if you have a bike it'll take you about 6-8 minutes (same goes for FP).

DRA has it's own bar if you're feeling lazy and don't want to walk into town. It also has the "bistro" which does burgers, panninis, soups, sandwiches, salads and main meals if you don't feel like cooking.

If anyone has any other concerns about DRA, I'll do my best to answer them - I lived there for 3 years and I am round there a lot this year too.
Reply 197
erm 15 mins to DRA!?!?! it takes me that long to walk from chattan to lectures.. but I would agree it's not all doom and gloom!
Sambo2
erm 15 mins to DRA!?!?! it takes me that long to walk from chattan to lectures.. but I would agree it's not all doom and gloom!

DRAs really not as far as everyone makes out! I was in Uni hall last year, and I could get from there to Buchanen in 10 mins (went to lunch which started at about 12.35 before my 1pm tutorials everyday), and when I went to visit a friend in DRA it took me at most 5 minutes!
Reply 199
you must be a very quick walker :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending