The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Aw man... my OP is too big to fit in the space I'm allowed. Pants. Any idea how to fix it?...
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I'm going to collect the various messes of posts I've made about Uni Hall and try to condense it into a reader-friendly(ish) version.
I was in Uni Hall for first year, and they've been doing work on it since then, so I have no idea how up-to-date all of this is - please remember that and read it in the past tense =)
Also, if anyone has any more recent information on Uni Hall, please write a mini-guide or just correct me.

Location: Overlooking the North Haugh, you're about 3 minutes from Maths, Physics, Comp Sci, Economics and the Purdie Building, and anything else on the North Haugh that I've forgotten to mention. Some of the rooms have great sea views. The walk out to DRA takes 15-20 minutes, and you're 10-15 minutes from the middle of town. You're also right next to the sports centre - even if you're as unsporty as me, this is still useful for when you have exams in there.

Aesthetics & accommodation: University Hall has 3 main buildings: Wardlaw, Lumdsen and Old Wing (The latter two are stuck together, Wardlaw is separate). I'll deal with them individually:
Wardlaw: I lived here - it looks like a castle from outside, and is fairly old. Nicknamed 'Virgin Megastores', because it's the only all-girls building remaining. They've been doing it up lately, and it has apparently changed significantly from when I last saw it. There's a good balance of single and shared rooms; some have sinks, none are en suite. The room size varies considerably, as does layout, but you've got all the furniture you'd want, even if some of it is classy and antique and some is snazzy 60's stylin'... Baths, showers, toilets and sinks are scattered all over the place, and there are a few kitchens, along with a common room on the ground floor.
Lumsden: The dining hall is located in here, as is the computer room, the exciting, 'alphabeticised' pigeon-holes for getting your post from, and the general offices and stuff like that. Lumsden is newer and less pretty, with more single rooms than shared, most of which are basically identical. They're not big rooms, but are nicely designed and laid out, with decent furniture [no quirky antiques, I'm afraid] and a sink in each. There are a few shared, ensuite rooms, which are relatively small. The baths, showers, toilets and sinks are in little huddles on each floor - each floor is single-sex, so ladies, there is low chance boys seeing you scampering back to your room in a towel =) Kitchens are well-designed, with a big one on each floor.
Old Wing: I ventured in here about 3 times - they have their own common room. There's a mix of single and shared rooms, and kitchens and bathrooms semed scattered about, more like in Wardlaw than Lumsden. Other than 'Old Wing seemed rather nice', there's not much else I'm able to say.

Food: Catered, 19 meals per week, I'll deal with them individually again
Breakfast: Typically from 8-9am; shorter and later on Sundays. Always 4 kinds of cereal, with ordinary or soya milk, and usually yoghurts and porridge, although I didn't eat much of that. Twice a week, they had croissants/english muffins/pancakes/etc, and the rest of the time, there were various constituents of a fried breakfast, including something potatoey. [Mmn, hash browns...]
Lunch: Always baked potatoes with cheese and another topping to choose from, and there were always various breads and sandwich fillings, along with a huge salad bar. There were usually about 3 hot options, one of which was always vegetarian, and there were either yoghurts or some kind of traybake/cake. Usually some kind of soup as well. You could request a packed lunch in advance if you were away from hall.
Dinner: Always baked potatoes and the salad bar again. You had 3 main meal options with veg, and yoghurts or a hot pudding of some kind. Usually a starter available.
There were also big boxes of rolls and sliced bread (white and wholemeal) available at every meal, along with the option of one piece of fruit and one cup of fruit juice.
The most entertaining thing about the food is that in one day, you could eat: Potato waffles for breakfast, baked potato with potato salad for lunch, baked potatoe with mashed/boiled potatoes and potato salad for tea. sadly, I never quite managed this. :p:

Other stuff: Wardlaw has a washing machine and dryer, there are about 5 of each located on the ground floor of Lumsden as well.
Woohoo! I've finally got round to editing my OP. I'd run out of room from copy/pasting the mini guides in, so I'd got a link to the individual posts now. This also makes life easier if you decide to edit things. Please tell me if I've messed the links up or forgotten anyone.

I'm still needing a few mini-guides, and it would be good to have more than one for each hall, so if you haven't done one, I'd be very grateful if you took the time to write as much or as little as you like. I think most of the regular posters have done something so far. Also, you don't have to be restricted to writing about they hall you're currently in - if you've seen plenty of another hall, then you could write a wee bit about that.

I'd also like to get some links to pictures to give a better impression of what the halls are like, so if you've got photos that might be useful... yeah. I need to decide how to do all this :p:

And if you have any other suggestions, that'd be great.

*is in Post-exam, Hyper-do-things Mode*
Reply 63
I'll see what I can do about photos. I took thousands during freshers week to show to family etc (I'm quite sad) so they will be lurking on my hard drive domewhere.
This is an anazing thread - perfect for the TSR Wiki. I've transfered most of the content from the first post acorss there to the St Andrews University Guide.

Please feel free for anyone to edit the infromation there and add to it - not only about accommodation, but you'll see there are sections for all aspects of the university :biggrin:
Reply 65
I have a question, I've accepted my unconditional offer from st andrews, when do they let you know what accomodation you have been allocated?
I think they'll probably let you know fairly soon, I can't see why they'd make you wait until the conditionals are getting their accommodation sorted. But I don't know. I can try asking around and see.
Reply 67
I play drums, and don't want to get out of practice and become rubbish. With loads of like-minded people around, forming a band would seem to be a nifty idea.

Where would I practice? I plan on going to halls, and I don't imagine people being keen on having me making a great big racket next door to them.
In terms of practicing the drums by yourself, some halls have music rooms for that kind of thing, and I think the Union has a room with music stuff in that you can book, although I think you have to plan quite far ahead with that.

I imagine that if you had several people, you'd be best using the union.

[For the record, I haven't a musical bone in my body, so am trying to remember what other people have said about all this. Hopefully there's someone on here who can answer your question better. *waits hopefully*]
I think DRA has drums in the music room? I'm not sure. It definitely has a piano though.
Reply 70
Scalex
I play drums, and don't want to get out of practice and become rubbish. With loads of like-minded people around, forming a band would seem to be a nifty idea.

Where would I practice? I plan on going to halls, and I don't imagine people being keen on having me making a great big racket next door to them.

The Younger Hall (Music Centre) has at least 6 (I think possibly 8) practice rooms you can book for an hour at a time and make as much racket as you like. Most have pianos etc. I'm sure there is probably at least one with drums permanently set up too, as I know some people have drum lessons.
I asked one of my friends who does drums, and he didn't seem vastly taken with the university facilities - the impression I got was, you had to book far in advance, and the rooms aren't soundproofed, so you have to make sure no-one is using the surrounding rooms.
However, he mentioned a place in Dundee, just as you come off the bridge, and they have rooms for £4 per hour, and you can get a bigger room if you have more people. The bus to Dundee is less than £5, so if you could do other constructive stuff in Dundee at the same time, it wouldn't be too bad.
Are all the central halls St Salv,St Reg and McIntosh or are there any more?
Reply 73
Hello! Do you think it would be worth me putting something like ...I would love to be in university hall if possible on my form? And also, with a conditional offer, is it less likely I'll get my choice?
John Burnet is pretty central, and Uni Hall is also very well located. I'll look for a map with them on.

You can try showing preference for a specific hall, but I don't know if they'll give you what you ask for. It's probably worth a try.
Remember that they're currently renovating Uni Hall; I think Old Wing is closed just now, and I get the impression there's lots of stuff going on. *shrug*.

[Edit: Maps - try google maps. It's probably best to search using the following phrases, adding 'st andrews scotland', just to be on the safe side.
DRA - search for 'David Russell Hall'
Fife Park
Albany Park
John Burnet Hall
University Hall - search for 'University Hall Kennedy Gardens'
Albany Park
St Salvators Hall
St Regulus Hall
McIntosh Hall
New Hall
Andrew Melville.]
Reply 75
ImperceptibleNinja
I asked one of my friends who does drums, and he didn't seem vastly taken with the university facilities - the impression I got was, you had to book far in advance, and the rooms aren't soundproofed, so you have to make sure no-one is using the surrounding rooms.
However, he mentioned a place in Dundee, just as you come off the bridge, and they have rooms for £4 per hour, and you can get a bigger room if you have more people. The bus to Dundee is less than £5, so if you could do other constructive stuff in Dundee at the same time, it wouldn't be too bad.

I dunno about the booking in advance, I usually just go and book a room the day before I want to use it and it's usually fine... I've never had a problem with the rooms not being soundproofed either, but if you really don't want people to hear you I suppose it could be an issue. Also, a saxophone is much quieter than drums, so I couldn't really comment, lol. No one minds if they can hear others either from my experience, it's a music centre, its kinda expected that you will hear music in there...

EDIT: Re Uni hall, OW is closed at the mo, and they are shutting Wardlaw next year too for renovations. :s-smilie: Building works always seem to take longer than they say...
Reply 76
I put on my form that I wanted to be in st salvators hall...and thats where I am!! Whether it was just luck i dont know, but it can't hurt.
Reply 77
mousy
I put on my form that I wanted to be in st salvators hall...and thats where I am!! Whether it was just luck i dont know, but it can't hurt.

Did you get a single room? :smile:
Chicklet21
I dunno about the booking in advance, I usually just go and book a room the day before I want to use it and it's usually fine... I've never had a problem with the rooms not being soundproofed either, but if you really don't want people to hear you I suppose it could be an issue. Also, a saxophone is much quieter than drums, so I couldn't really comment, lol. No one minds if they can hear others either from my experience, it's a music centre, its kinda expected that you will hear music in there...

You can book a room up to a week in advance, but usually if you just turn up there'll be one free. Also, I think there's a drumkit permanently set up in one of the basement practice rooms (though it gets shifted upstairs on tuesday nights for windband).
Reply 79
What is this I hear that poor Andrew Melville had a leak which led to a collapsed roof which led to the discovery of asbestos in the walls? :eek: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending