The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Liechtenstein condemns out of hand this assasination; our thoughts go out to her family and friends, and to the country as a whole. The prospects for true democracy in the region are surely looking slimmer as a result of the incident.

We also hope that those responsible will be brought to justice and echo France's sentiments above.
Reply 2
Russia condemns this cowardly action against democracy, and offers its condolences to the family of Ms. Bhutto
Reply 3
The USA just saw this and signed straight onto MUN.

The USA strongly condemns this violent act and hopes that those who planned and carried out this attack, not just on Ms. Bhutto, but on democracy itself, are brought to justice.

The USA would like to offer its sympathies to the family, friends and country people of Ms. Bhutto.
Reply 4
Like every right-thinking nation, the UK deplores this outrage, and calls on President Musharraf to remain calm, and go ahead with planned democratic elections.
Reply 5
Syria Condemns this attack and would like to point out that it is unlikely to have come from any Islamist militants in the tribal region considering they deem it illegal to kill a woman. We demand a full scale investigation from the UN in the form of the one carried out in the event of the death of Rafik Hariri
Reply 6
6+6=12
We demand a full scale investigation from the UN in the form of the one carried out in the event of the death of Rafik Hariri

The UN cannot interfere with the internal affairs of member states. The investigation needs to be implemented by the Pakistani government. In all hopes, the election will be swift and successful, and the nation return to a sufficient level of stability to effectively execute such measures.
Reply 7
Israel strongly condems this violent and unfortunate occurence. We do desire that justice prevails in this situation.

Indeed democracy is the best form of revenge.
Reply 8
u_dun_noe
Israel strongly condems this violent and unfortunate occurence. We do desire that justice prevails in this situation.

Indeed democracy is the best form of revenge.

Like democracy in Palestine? So I take it Hamas, being democratically elected, is fine now? Oh the irony of your words, In one instance you are praising democracy, whilst rejecting it in another,once again we see the many faces of Israel.
Reply 9
Iran seconds the sentiments of the representative for Syria and further wonders how Israel can express a desire for both "justice" and "revenge"? Does this indicate that for Israel the two concepts are one and the same?
Reply 10
Craghyrax
The UN cannot interfere with the internal affairs of member states. The investigation needs to be implemented by the Pakistani government. In all hopes, the election will be swift and successful, and the nation return to a sufficient level of stability to effectively execute such measures.

And yet it did in the situation of Rafik Hariri when The United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 1595. There is clear precedent for an investigation into the assasination of Benazir Bhutto, and I'm sure the Pakistani Government would approve of the UN's help, after all I'm sure they have nothing to hide....
6+6=12
And yet it did in the situation of Rafik Hariri when The United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 1595. There is clear precedent for an investigation into the assasination of Benazir Bhutto, and I'm sure the Pakistani Government would approve of the UN's help, after all I'm sure they have nothing to hide....

As SG I will not outrule the motion, but it needs to pass the approval of the GA. Perhaps the representative for Syria will see fit to raise support by way of a resolution?
Iran joins the condemnation of this crime and extends its deepest sympathy to the family of all those who lost their lives. It is our firm hope that democracy will be brought to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan so that its people can finally act for themselves.
Reply 13
Craghyrax
As SG I will not outrule the motion, but it needs to pass the approval of the GA. Perhaps the representative for Syria will see fit to raise support by way of a resolution?

Done.
The SG shares the sympathy and concern expressed in this thread, and respect Syria's commitment to the pursuit of justice.
Nepal condemns this action and would like to offer condolences to the late Mrs Bhutto's family and would also like to wish all the best to the successor of the party.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7164968.stm
Reply 16
6+6=12
Like democracy in Palestine? So I take it Hamas, being democratically elected, is fine now? Oh the irony of your words, In one instance you are praising democracy, whilst rejecting it in another,once again we see the many faces of Israel.

Of course Israel do not support anti semitic, terrorist organisations such as Hamas to even be involved in democracy. Israel do not condone terrorism of any form .
u_dun_noe
Of course Israel do not support anti semitic, terrorist organisations such as Hamas to even be involved in democracy. Israel do not condone terrorism of any form .

Who are Israel to dictate to the people of Palestine who they may or may not vote for? What kind of democracy is that?
Reply 18
UniOfLife
Iran seconds the sentiments of the representative for Syria and further wonders how Israel can express a desire for both "justice" and "revenge"? Does this indicate that for Israel the two concepts are one and the same?

I am suprised that Iran has even entered this thread, as it mentions the word 'democracy' in it (something which Iran has seldom idea about).
Do I have to remind Iran and all other countries that Iran's leader is an autocratic one, who's form of democracy is to 'wipe [Israel] of the map.'
OOC- In the same instance Australia has a mandatory voting law so is it still a democracy when the voters are forced to vote to maintain "democracy"?

Latest

Trending

Trending