The Student Room Group

Are they a threat?

North Korea has been doing many taunting missile tests but I can’t tell if it’s something to be worried about.
I heard somewhere that their missiles can now reach anywhere across the globe.
Is there anything to be worried about?
(edited 6 years ago)
Hopefully not in the long run, but there will always be the threat of missiles
Reply 2
Original post by P4dfoot
North Korea has been doing many taunting missile tests but I can’t tell if it’s something to be worried about.

No If they carry on Trump will do something about it- we won't we will continue to give them foreign aid and time contemplating action to develop there weapons
I mean if they are a threat there’s absolutely nothing we the people can do about it so don’t worry about things you can’t change haha
To us, here in the UK, not really at the moment.

If it did get to nuclear war, the North Koreans would probably be targeting LA or SanFran, places they have much more chance of confidently hitting, than anywhere in the UK.
Original post by P4dfoot

No. North Korea will never use their nuclear arsenal in first strike capacity, to do so would be an act of suicide and they know it. North Korea’s nuclear programme is more about preventing regime change than it is about starting a thermonuclear holocaust.
no

it's all verbal threats
Original post by P4dfoot

1.They would need to be really totally insane to attack anyone. Ruling a nuclear bunker on a wasteland is far worse than ruling even poor, but existing country without too much of nuclear waste in the air.
2. They surely don't have too much bombs or rockets, they are unreliable, and they surely cannot reach anywhere.
3. Why would Kim Dzong Un launch a missle attack on Snitterfield next to A46?
The game is containing North Korea and making sure the regime is under no illusions that a mistake will result in their annihilation. Counter-intuitively, war gaming is all about keeping a lid on NK's aspirations and making a statement to other rogue states tempted to follow, that the nuclear route will not be rewarded.

Bellicose threats and ratcheting up tension, are a great way of making people and governments in that part of the world insecure. Ballistic missile defence systems, early warning radar networks, next generation aircraft etc., all cost big bucks and the US has newly developed high-profile military kit, with global defence companies itching for sales opportunities and a president who promised to secure US jobs.

Creating insecurity with a clear and present danger, then generates demand for defence spending and a general public who accept the eye-watering costs and expanded US military presence on and around their lands/seas - including at home.

Flexing military muscle is a tried and tested sales technique. Ask Mr Putin and Mr Assad.

Expect lucrative arms sales to come flooding in. Buy defence company stocks: Lockheed Martin, McDonnell Douglas, General Dynamics, Boeing, Pratt and Witney, Raytheon, Hughes, BAe Systems and Rolls Royce.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
In the sense that they could - if they so wished - launch an attack on the West? Yes. In the sense of it being likely? I don't think so.
Original post by uberteknik

Creating insecurity with a clear and present danger, then generates demand for defence spending and a general public who accept the eye-watering costs and expanded US military presence on and around their lands/seas - including at home.

Untill this waste of resources and intellect will kill us all through famine and pollution in next 100 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending