The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yep, i'm gonna go over that to make sure then :wink:
Reply 21
Insulin production:

Firstly the gene for "insulin" is identified using a probe.

"Reverse Transcriptase" then occurs which allows you to make DNA from an RNA nucleic acid.

"Complementory bases then occur" and a "polymerise chain reaction happens" this then makes lots of copies of the insulin.

Now with that insulin you insert it into a plasmid. First cutting the plasmid using restriction enzymes, this leaves sticky ends which allow hydrogen bonds to form. Then inserting the insulin into the plasmid using ligase enzymes.

A recombinant bacteria is now formed because it contains half human and half bacterial DNA.

To identify this you can either your fluresent markers or with the addition of antiobiotic resistors
thankyou very much :smile:
Reply 23
No worries, anything else?
The insulin stuff is unlikely to appear in an essay question this January as it came up last summer.

I'd have it a guess that properties of water may come up as an essay question.

Other topics that may come up IMO:

-Test for lipids/starch/carbohydrates (reducing + non reducing)
-Protein synthesis/DNA replication (hasn't come up for some time now)
- Competitive/non competitive inhibitors
-nitrogen cycle
oo yes will someone briefly go over Competitive/non competitive inhibitors please, i ahve the notes but i'm not sure if i have them down correctly. thanks :smile:
There was loads on DNA and genetics and all the stuff on ecology June, so this paper will probs be focused on the first few chapters... Cell biology, Biochem etc...
Competitive = Similar shape to active site = Non permanently binds to active site preventing substrate from binding or ESCs forming. Can be "swamped" out with excess substrate.

Non competitive = either...

A) Permanent = Heavy metal ions e.g. Cd+ Pb+ Cu2+ etc.. Which permanently binds to active site or allosteric site and disabling the enzyme permanently

B.) Binds to allosteric site, causing change in 3D shape of enzyme so substrate cannot fit in. Cannot be "swamped" out by excess substrate.
Reply 28
Here I go! This is as much to help me as it is to help anybody else, I find explaining things the best way to remember :smile:

FUNCTIONS OF LIPIDS IN ORGANISMS

Buoyancy - Lipids are less dense than water, and so float on top (like if you were to put cooking oil in water it floats..) especially useful for aquatic organisms who already use lipids as insulation because they must get air from above water. I always thing of ducks and their fat bellies for this one!

Insulation - Lipids do not conduct heat very well and so aquatic organisms such as whales use it for insulation (because hair on the body is pretty much useless, think slimy seals) . A thick layer of fat is found underneath the skins surface to insulate the rest of the body.

Protection - A lot of fat surrounds vital organs in the body, such as the kidneys. This is vital to protect organs as they are very delicate. If we did not have fat surrounding our kidneys even the slightest blow would cause a lot of damage!

Energy storage - Fats are used as energy storage because they can store a lot of energy in a small space. This is apparent in plant seeds and in animals which need to be mobile. Your body can't access the store of energy in lipids very quickly though, and so carbohydrates are more commonly used as a short term store.

Waterproofing - Think "waxy cuticles" on leaves. Lipids are hydrophobic and so useful on the outsides of leaves in plants, and as a secreted oil under the fur of animals to prevent them loosing water/or getting too soaked in the case of animals.

Cell Membranes - Needed for every animal and plant but this is a whole different topic. (ill go over it if anybody needs to).

think i got everything!
But I don't think it will come up... My bet is still on lipids lol. :wink:
Reply 30
Competitive inhibitors: The complementory shape substrate fits into the complementory shape active site to form an "enzyme substrate complex".
This then blocks the active site and prevents enzymes from working.

N-CI- Substrates fit onto an "allosteric" site (one other than active site). This cause the active site to become denatures, preventing the formation of enzyme substrate complex. The active site is no longer complementory shape to substate.
Nice list, only thing i'd add is hormones :smile: But plenty there for full marks :biggrin:
Can anyone explain the EVIDENCE for semi-conservative replication with the N14 AND N15?

Thats probably the only topic I can't understand 'properly'.
Reply 33
for toiletpaper :wink:

lipids can also combine with a carbohydrate chain to form glycolipids. These are found on the outside of cell membranes to detect hormones etc outside of the cell!
FYI: Glycoproteins are carbs combined with proteins in the cell membrane which also recept other substances outside of the cell. The cell can then take suitable action to deal with substances (e.g. secrete lysosomes made by the golgi apparatus to destroy harmful substances)
Meselsohn and Stahl expt :smile:

Basically, DNA with 15N isotope as G1 (first generation) led to 14N and 15N in G2 after being grown on agar jelly of 14N isotope.

Consequently 1 old strand of 15N and one new strand of 14N formed next to each old strand by complementary base pairing. 2 isotopes in 1 molecule, 1 strand = 15N 1 strand = 14N with no molucules in G2 with 1 isotope suggests semi-conservative theory = correct.
can someone explain the nitrogen cycle simply.. i learnt it last year, but totally forgotten for this exam!
there was a question on it last year, but it was only small, do you think its likely to come up again?!
Reply 36
Kelly^2
Here I go! This is as much to help me as it is to help anybody else, I find explaining things the best way to remember :smile:

FUNCTIONS OF LIPIDS IN ORGANISMS

Buoyancy - Lipids are less dense than water, and so float on top (like if you were to put cooking oil in water it floats..) especially useful for aquatic organisms who already use lipids as insulation because they must get air from above water. I always thing of ducks and their fat bellies for this one!

Insulation - Lipids do not conduct heat very well and so aquatic organisms such as whales use it for insulation (because hair on the body is pretty much useless, think slimy seals) . A thick layer of fat is found underneath the skins surface to insulate the rest of the body.

Protection - A lot of fat surrounds vital organs in the body, such as the kidneys. This is vital to protect organs as they are very delicate. If we did not have fat surrounding our kidneys even the slightest blow would cause a lot of damage!

Energy storage - Fats are used as energy storage because they can store a lot of energy in a small space. This is apparent in plant seeds and in animals which need to be mobile. Your body can't access the store of energy in lipids very quickly though, and so carbohydrates are more commonly used as a short term store.

Waterproofing - Think "waxy cuticles" on leaves. Lipids are hydrophobic and so useful on the outsides of leaves in plants, and as a secreted oil under the fur of animals to prevent them loosing water/or getting too soaked in the case of animals.

Cell Membranes - Needed for every animal and plant but this is a whole different topic. (ill go over it if anybody needs to).

think i got everything!

What about lipids as a source of energy? i.e. when broken down they can produce 2x as much ATP as the equivalent mass of carbohydrate because they have more hydrogen atoms which helps generate ATP in Krebs cycle and Oxidative Phosphorylation during respiration?
Kelly^2
for toiletpaper :wink:

lipids can also combine with a carbohydrate chain to form glycolipids. These are found on the outside of cell membranes to detect hormones etc outside of the cell!
FYI: Glycoproteins are carbs combined with proteins in the cell membrane which also recept other substances outside of the cell. The cell can then take suitable action to deal with substances (e.g. secrete lysosomes made by the golgi apparatus to destroy harmful substances)

lol, I was talking about the hormones themselves :smile:

Hormones are made from steriods = molecules with 4 rings which are lipids :smile: They are small diffusable molecules able to pass from cell to cell. Though it's not in the textbook...

Search "steriod" on wikipedia and read the first line, you'll get what I mean :smile: But no worries, because it's strangely not on the syllabus.
Alison267
can someone explain the nitrogen cycle simply.. i learnt it last year, but totally forgotten for this exam!
there was a question on it last year, but it was only small, do you think its likely to come up again?!

Atmospheric N2 can go to nitrate ions by lightning/nitrogen fixation... nitrate can go to atmospheric N2 by denitrification caused by pseudomonas. Nitrate taken up by plants --> plant protein/amino acids... eaten by animals = animal protein... When they die and rot/decompose, deamination of the amino acids creates ammonia, which in its neutral state is ammonium, NH4+ ions... these ions turned to nitrite by nitrosomonas and nitrite ions are turned back into nitrate by nitrobacter.
Reply 39
Legend Killer
Can anyone explain the EVIDENCE for semi-conservative replication with the N14 AND N15?

Thats probably the only topic I can't understand 'properly'.

its a bit of a bitch i can draw stuff on here, but ill try my hardest to explain for you.

Okay, to begin with N15 is added to a culture and replicated. It produces only N15 daughter DNA.

N14 can also be added to a culture and replicated. It produces only N14 DNA

^^The above to are controls, but also think of them as "parents" as for what is to come.

Mix 50% of N14 and 50% N15.
In total you have :
1 whole double helix of N15, 1 whole double helix of N14.
2 strands N15, 2 strands N14

These are cultured. The double helixes break apart and daughter DNA is formed. The daughter DNA is 100% hybrid (its helixes have 1 strand of N15, one strand of N14)
Now add one full helix of N14 to the hybrid daughter DNA from the last bit.
We have :
1 whole strand N14
2 Mixed strands N14/N15
4 Single strands N14
2 Single strands N15

What wil be produced when these are replicated will be

2 n14/n15

2 n14/n14

Latest

Trending

Trending