The Student Room Group

I'm terrified for English Literature

English Literature is easily the scariest exam. I got a C last year (my joint highest grade with Biology)and I still don't know how. To me, it feels like the only compulsory subject which requires creativity. The questions could literally be about anything and require a lot of thought and creativity. I'm no good at anything to do with creativity. I like the subjects that follow instructions, like math. They are so much simpler, because it doesn't require much in terms of creativity. There might be some level of creativity in thinking about how to apply specific areas of it to specific topics, but nowhere near the level that English Literature has.

This is all based on my experiences and the English Literature exam I did last year (WJEC Unit 1).

I really don't know how to prepare for it this year, and the advanced information is ****.
Original post by emnaaerymanlto
English Literature is easily the scariest exam. I got a C last year (my joint highest grade with Biology)and I still don't know how. To me, it feels like the only compulsory subject which requires creativity. The questions could literally be about anything and require a lot of thought and creativity. I'm no good at anything to do with creativity. I like the subjects that follow instructions, like math. They are so much simpler, because it doesn't require much in terms of creativity. There might be some level of creativity in thinking about how to apply specific areas of it to specific topics, but nowhere near the level that English Literature has.

This is all based on my experiences and the English Literature exam I did last year (WJEC Unit 1).

I really don't know how to prepare for it this year, and the advanced information is ****.

English lit is difficult, agreed - I'm way better at maths lol.
I highly recommend you make summary notes/flashcards with all the quotes you need to know, so you don't overwhelm yourself if the info is everywhere. And, also don't forget to mention context (what was happening during the time), form/language (how was the text/book/play written + what format was used, e.g: sonnet), structure (like if it's a poem you comment on the stanzas/cyclical structures etc.) and themes.
If you have a page with all the things you need to know for each text/play you're doing, you will feel way better, because everything is in one place.
Don't stress too much over english lit, as long as you know the basics (quotes, context + structure), the only thing that's left is writing the actual essay, if you have some practice, you'll know what to do, PMT + MME revise is good.
I hope that helps and good luck with your exams!
Reply 2
I agree but don't be afraid watching english videos on youtube whatever exam board it is. Most exam boards are the same, yet why not give it a go? You only need to pass English Lang, and you dont have to retake English Lit.
Original post by *LifeHappens*
English lit is difficult, agreed - I'm way better at maths lol.
I highly recommend you make summary notes/flashcards with all the quotes you need to know, so you don't overwhelm yourself if the info is everywhere. And, also don't forget to mention context (what was happening during the time), form/language (how was the text/book/play written + what format was used, e.g: sonnet), structure (like if it's a poem you comment on the stanzas/cyclical structures etc.) and themes.
If you have a page with all the things you need to know for each text/play you're doing, you will feel way better, because everything is in one place.
Don't stress too much over english lit, as long as you know the basics (quotes, context + structure), the only thing that's left is writing the actual essay, if you have some practice, you'll know what to do, PMT + MME revise is good.
I hope that helps and good luck with your exams!

It's so hard. In my opinion, it should be either be only an A level or a GCSE option.

Thank you so much for all of your tips. I still have a lot to learn in the next few days, but your tips will definitely help me bore more efficient.

"the only thing that's left is writing the actual essay" is actually the worst part for me. sometimes I get the quotes, context & structure right, but I go off track and start talking about something unrelated for 75% of the paper. What makes it worse is that I don't know if I'm doing higher or foundation. My teacher asked me which I wanted to do, I said higher, she said okay (she was asking the entire class). A few days ago I noticed that it says foundation on my timetable. I messaged the woman it said to email if anything was wrong, and she said my teacher will talk to me about it. I haven't been to a lesson since Tuesday, and I'll never go to a lesson again (Thursday was the last day for lessons, now we have to leave school after the exam/s). The point being that I can't talk to her.
Original post by julietdd1
I agree but don't be afraid watching english videos on youtube whatever exam board it is. Most exam boards are the same, yet why not give it a go? You only need to pass English Lang, and you dont have to retake English Lit.

I actually can't watch videos. My exam board is WJEC and trying to find content for WJEC exams is a nightmare. I would rather peel my skin off. Thanks for that last part too, but I'm really trying to get 7 GCSEs (I think I'm doing 9) to get into the college I'd like to go to. I know I definitely failed Welsh (didn't attend the first exam, don't expect to attend the second one). I don't have much room here.
Reply 5

Last year I also did English lit on WJEC. I came out with an A, I am also not creative or anything like that. But how I did it was mostly learning 8-10 quotes for each character and trying past papers. For mood and atmosphere questions, state the obvious. For example, think about how the characters feel and act in the extract like positivity = positive mood and atmosphere and negativity = negative mood and atmosphere. Therefore, think of all the positives and/or negatives when answering questions on mood and atmosphere.
Hope this helps :smile:
It's so hard. In my opinion, it should be either be only an A level or a GCSE option.

Thank you so much for all of your tips. I still have a lot to learn in the next few days, but your tips will definitely help me bore more efficient.

"the only thing that's left is writing the actual essay" is actually the worst part for me. sometimes I get the quotes, context & structure right, but I go off track and start talking about something unrelated for 75% of the paper. What makes it worse is that I don't know if I'm doing higher or foundation. My teacher asked me which I wanted to do, I said higher, she said okay (she was asking the entire class). A few days ago I noticed that it says foundation on my timetable. I messaged the woman it said to email if anything was wrong, and she said my teacher will talk to me about it. I haven't been to a lesson since Tuesday, and I'll never go to a lesson again (Thursday was the last day for lessons, now we have to leave school after the exam/s). The point being that I can't talk to her.

I'm glad we can agree that english shouldn't be a core option!
Hm, it might be slightly confusing if you don't know whether you're doing foundation or higher, maybe try speaking to a few of your friends who attended those last few english lessons and ask them if anything had been decided or email your head of year to see if something has been arranged? If you can't find it out, just try to find past papers that are neutral (they don't specify foundation/higher) or you can mix it up between foundation and higher to be on the safe side.
Have a look at your spec or your school website to see if you can find anything that mentions foundation/higher, although I just checked edexcel + aqa specs and they don't talk about it much.
Also, as an extra resource - seneca learning may not help for science or maths but it really does for english, so check it out if you can!

Quick Reply

Latest