The Student Room Group
Reply 1
teily
Hello all. I'm thinking about going back to uni regardless, but I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm dying to get out and away from my family but here are my two options. 1) apply for a second bachelor's degree and transfer overseas or 2) suck it up and apply for a master's degree overseas. Either way the common denominator is overseas. Help! anyone... i'm desperate to get out.

? It depends on what you want to do....a masters or a 2nd BA? You can apply for a 2nd BA overseas too. By the sound of it your only motivation is to get away though, which is a bit weird. Why don't you just get a job abroad instead?
Reply 2
KwungSun
? It depends on what you want to do....a masters or a 2nd BA? You can apply for a 2nd BA overseas too. By the sound of it your only motivation is to get away though, which is a bit weird. Why don't you just get a job abroad instead?

how do i do that? i don't have any job experience in my degree which makes it difficult. i have an account with monster.com and careerbuilder.com. (i'm currently a cashier at a retail store part-time and i'm a part-time tax preparer.)
Reply 3
teily
how do i do that? i don't have any job experience in my degree which makes it difficult. i have an account with monster.com and careerbuilder.com. (i'm currently a cashier at a retail store part-time and i'm a part-time tax preparer.)

Well I suppose you're a US citizen so the thing to do would be to send off applications to large companies that have overseas offices maybe? I would have thought that you wouldn't have such a hard time finding jobs with an engineering degree.

If you want to work in engineering then I suppose you could apply for master's abroad and use those qualifications to try to work abroad. But I still think you need to figure out WHAT you want to do before you worry about WHERE to do it.
1st masters
Reply 5
KwungSun
Well I suppose you're a US citizen so the thing to do would be to send off applications to large companies that have overseas offices maybe? I would have thought that you wouldn't have such a hard time finding jobs with an engineering degree.

If you want to work in engineering then I suppose you could apply for master's abroad and use those qualifications to try to work abroad. But I still think you need to figure out WHAT you want to do before you worry about WHERE to do it.

It's harder than you can imagine especially with no job experience and no car. I've definitely figured out WHERE but the WHAT is my other problem. Electrical engineering is a very broad field and the classes that I liked, I'm not sure about b/c I have had no on-the-job training in those subjects. Just the labs in school. So I'm definitely leaning towards Accounting/Finance. I'm just not sure if I want to go through 4 more years of school for another bachelor's or just get my master's.
Reply 6
I would do the Masters, if you are set on going to the UK that will only be a one year program. That may give you the time you need to think out exactly what it is you want to do in life, and you will come out of it with and MSc witch can never hurt you.

Best Luck.
Reply 7
Nomd
I would do the Masters, if you are set on going to the UK that will only be a one year program. That may give you the time you need to think out exactly what it is you want to do in life, and you will come out of it with and MSc witch can never hurt you.

Best Luck.

i think i've figured out what i want to do in life. i graduated college in december of 06 and i plan on going to postgrad in 09. lately i've been interested in accounting. i wanted to change my major to accounting when i was in college but i was too far into my major to change. (plus i was ready to get out of that college.) some time this year i plan on buying books on accounting and more on financial topics. but i'm definitely considering getting my masters. i just kinda hate that the UK programs are shorter that those in the US. i'd love to stay in the UK; i hope i can after graduating...
Reply 8
teily
i think i've figured out what i want to do in life. i graduated college in december of 06 and i plan on going to postgrad in 09. lately i've been interested in accounting. i wanted to change my major to accounting when i was in college but i was too far into my major to change. (plus i was ready to get out of that college.) some time this year i plan on buying books on accounting and more on financial topics. but i'm definitely considering getting my masters. i just kinda hate that the UK programs are shorter that those in the US. i'd love to stay in the UK; i hope i can after graduating...

Do you not enjoy engineering?
Reply 9
teily

If you want to stay longer and are enjoying school there, you can go on for a PhD another 3 to 4 years in the UK. Also if you go to Scotland they have a 2 years visiting work program for new international graduates from Scottish universities[1].

[1] http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2005/06/16102727
Reply 10
KwungSun
Do you not enjoy engineering?

the thing is that when i was in uni, i enjoyed half of my classes and hated the other half. and the ones that i did like, there weren't that many like them so i had to sign up for the other classes. and it made me hate my major even more. plus having crappy professors didn't help either. so i've decided to use my degree to get me into postgrad. (plus i've had no on-the-job training or experience in my major. and it's a very broad major.)
Reply 11
Nomd
If you want to stay longer and are enjoying school there, you can go on for a PhD another 3 to 4 years in the UK. Also if you go to Scotland they have a 2 years visiting work program for new international graduates from Scottish universities[1].

[1] http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2005/06/16102727

Thanks Nomd!!! I didn't know that! Does England have a similar program or is it just Scotland? (now to check out scottish unis... :smile: )
Take a look at http://www.britishcouncil.org/usa-education-visas-entry-clearance.htm with regards to working in the UK. my understanding is that most US citizens can pretty much can obtain a work permit for the UK.

I would suggest that you did a masters rather than a 2nd degree The UK really wants enginerers just now, but its up to you what field. Put it this way, self funded overseas students will pay approx 12k for a one year masters or 12k per year for an undergrad degree.

so in the case of say glasgow, and undergrad in engineering will cost you £48k, where as a masters in engineering will be £11.5k http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentfinance/ and http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/financialmatters/

how much cash do you have to spend on getting away from your folks?
Reply 13
flexiblefish
Take a look at http://www.britishcouncil.org/usa-education-visas-entry-clearance.htm with regards to working in the UK. my understanding is that most US citizens can pretty much can obtain a work permit for the UK.

I would suggest that you did a masters rather than a 2nd degree The UK really wants enginerers just now, but its up to you what field. Put it this way, self funded overseas students will pay approx 12k for a one year masters or 12k per year for an undergrad degree.

so in the case of say glasgow, and undergrad in engineering will cost you £48k, where as a masters in engineering will be £11.5k http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentfinance/ and http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/financialmatters/

how much cash do you have to spend on getting away from your folks?

thanks for that info flexiblefish!! that's a great point about the price difference! i hadn't thought about that.

my degree is in electrical engineering, but i have no job experience. i'm registerd on workgateways.com and the jobs that i have seen require job experience. :frown: (my keyboard doesn't have the pound sign, just the dollar sign. :cry: )

i'm working on the cash situation now. my goal for this year is to pay off my one remaining credit card and obtain a passport, CA driver's license (by next month), and apply to unis. I also want my own place and something that resembles a motor vehicle, lol. I'm looking at attending uni in sept of 09. i do plan on applying for financial aid. as of now i have enough cash for a round-trip ticket ( :frown: like i really want to come back.) and that's w/o saving up for the above.

Latest

Trending

Trending