The Student Room Group

Second Bachelors Degree at Oxbridge? (2.1 from mid/top RG uni)

Looking to see how possible it would be to apply for a second bachelors at Oxford/Cambridge. Currently heading into my final year at a well respected Russel Group uni (UCL/Durham/Warwick) in law.

To clarify, I 100% want to study a second bachelors, not a masters. While i'm an international student, funding is not an issue whatsoever (fortunate enough to have full parental financial support for the idea). I know many on this site will think this is a dumb idea, and will either recommend I just do a masters/don't do it at all, and I completely respect that notion. I just want to know how possible and realistic it is for me to get in for my second bachelor.

I don't really care what course it is in either, as long as it is loosely related to social sciences/humanities etc, being that I come from a law undergrad background. Also, while I did high school outside of the UK (didn't do A levels), most of my A level equivalent courses were not quantitative (thus rendering a quant second bachelors as unlikely). If I could literally study History, Theology, Philosophy or PPE etc at Oxbridge as a second bachelors it would all interest me equally etc I would and take it.

Finished my second year with a mid 2.1. Will try for a first but likely will graduate with a 2.1. Am also curious to know how realistic getting senior status is for a NON law second bachelors at Oxford/Cambridge. I am far less interested in doing law again at Oxbridge.

I know this sounds ridiculous but just would like to hear if anyone knows if this has happened and if I would be able to do a second bachelors at an Oxbridge, ideally with senior status, with a background of a 2.1 from a good RG uni. Thanks.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by tastethe_sun
Looking to see how possible it would be to apply for a second bachelors at Oxford/Cambridge. Currently heading into my final year at a well respected Russel Group uni (UCL/Durham) in law.

To clarify, I 100% want to study a second bachelors, not a masters. While i'm an international student, funding is not an issue whatsoever (fortunate enough to have full parental financial support for the idea). I know many on this site will think this is a dumb idea, and will either recommend I just do a masters/don't do it at all, and I completely respect that notion. I just want to know how possible and realistic it is for me to get in for my second bachelor.

I don't really care what course it is in either, as long as it is loosely related to social sciences/humanities etc, being that I come from a law undergrad background. Also, while I did high school outside of the UK (didn't do A levels), most of my A level equivalent courses were not quantitative (thus rendering a quant second bachelors as unlikely). If I could literally study History, Theology, Philosophy or PPE etc at Oxbridge as a second bachelors it would all interest me equally etc I would and take it.

Finished my second year with a mid 2.1. Will try for a first but likely will graduate with a 2.1. Am also curious to know how realistic getting senior status is for a NON law second bachelors at Oxford/Cambridge. I am far less interested in doing law again at Oxbridge.

I know this sounds ridiculous but just would like to hear if anyone knows if this has happened and if I would be able to do a second bachelors at an Oxbridge, ideally with senior status, with a background of a 2.1 from a good RG uni. Thanks.

"I don't really care what course it is in either, as long as it is loosely related to social sciences/humanities etc", this line really stood out to me. Education is a marvellous thing and should be seen as more than just a means to an end. However, the idea of literally just doing anything just so you can go to oxford etc is slightly mad. Having wealthy parents who can fund you is of course great but i think you may have lost touch with the value and values of the real world. Regardless of the money, your time i hope must be more valuable to you.

To your question yes you can do a 2nd bsc, and need to look at the relevant course req etc, particularly as an international applicant. Many people have done 2 bscs before, so you are not redesigning the wheel.

Greg
Reply 2
Appreciate the insight and opinion. EDIT: meant to quote above comment
(edited 8 months ago)
Did you end up applying or hearing anything? I’ve finished with a 2.1 in law at UCL too
One issue that you’ll encounter is academic progression. IE. The second incoming uni will be asked by the UKVI to justify why you’re studying at the same level of qualification again.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
One issue that you’ll encounter is academic progression. IE. The second incoming uni will be asked by the UKVI to justify why you’re studying at the same level of qualification again.

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. Is that something you think will be a significant pressure from Oxbridge's perspective? Not that i'm at all doubting what you're saying, but I guess I assumed they wouldn't step on the toes of those leading institutions.
Reply 6
Original post by sumunali123
Did you end up applying or hearing anything? I’ve finished with a 2.1 in law at UCL too

Will be applying for fall 2025 entry instead
Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. Is that something you think will be a significant pressure from Oxbridge's perspective? Not that i'm at all doubting what you're saying, but I guess I assumed they wouldn't step on the toes of those leading institutions.

I can't say for certain as I don't work at Oxbridge and it's a specific uni policy question. Howver it could be a big concern from them.

In some cases my own uni does a mini interview with candidates repeating a qualification level to get a feel why they are doing so. We do produce progression statements to the UVI where we're comfortable that it's for a valid reason. But some unis just may not want to get involved with that at all and say no. It's the kind of question to ask them directly before applying.

Err, are you suggesting the UKVI would overlook visa requirements because it's Oxbridge? If you don't have the right visa, they can't and won't accept you.

Beyond resolving that, they won't give up an undergrad place for such wishy-washy reasons. Find yourself a cogent and persuasive reason for repeating an undergrad degree, and they would consider it, but the prospect of overseas fees isn't enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending