The Student Room Group

UK Masters Accreditation

I want to apply to a masters program in UK in psychology. I did my undergraduate studies in the same subject but in order to apply for universities in UK which are accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society), my bachelors need to be accredited too, but I live in a different nation so that won’t be possible. Is there any way I can get admission in UK Universities which are accredited by the BPS, keeping in my I don’t want to undergo a conversion study and that, I am opting for a specialization (IO psychology)
Original post by Jirbi
I want to apply to a masters program in UK in psychology. I did my undergraduate studies in the same subject but in order to apply for universities in UK which are accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society), my bachelors need to be accredited too, but I live in a different nation so that won’t be possible. Is there any way I can get admission in UK Universities which are accredited by the BPS, keeping in my I don’t want to undergo a conversion study and that, I am opting for a specialization (IO psychology)

This scenario is covered on the BPS web site here, where they say, "If you completed your degree at an institution outside of the UK, you will, therefore, need to submit an individual application for Graduate Membership of the Society so that our Membership team can properly assess eligibility for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership based on the qualifications you have."

You can find more details here (see the "Applicants with non-UK qualifications" section), where they summarise the criteria they're looking for when establishing whether you can become a Graduate Member of the Society :

"• If you hold a degree from a recognised university or comparable institution
If it is of an equivalent standard to a British bachelors degree at a minimum of lower 2nd class honours level, having also passed an empirical project
If your degree is made up of at least 50% psychology content
If your qualifications cover the core areas of the GBC (cognitive psychology, psychobiology, developmental psychology, social psychology, individual differences, conceptual & historical issues and research)"
Original post by Jirbi
@Jirbi
Hello! Have you considered doing your Masters degree with Arden University? I did my MSc there, and the course was fully accredited with the British Psychological Society. For any University, check out their report with the QAA and their Teaching Excellence Framework Report (both readily available online) for an unbiased review.

Arden has the best Virtual learning environment I have come across (and I have worked for 10 years in F.E/H.E myself). There was also the option of doing it 100% online or in a blended way with centres in Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, and London.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Arden University
@Jirbi
Hello! Have you considered doing your Masters degree with Arden University? I did my MSc there, and the course was fully accredited with the British Psychological Society. For any University, check out their report with the QAA and their Teaching Excellence Framework Report (both readily available online) for an unbiased review.

Arden has the best Virtual learning environment I have come across (and I have worked for 10 years in F.E/H.E myself). There was also the option of doing it 100% online or in a blended way with centres in Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, and London.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Which specific Master's degree are you recommending? The MSc Psychology Conversion course (despite OP saying "I don’t want to undergo a conversion study"), or the MSc Business Psychology course, which is stage one of a two-stage route to becoming an Occupational Psychologist but where stage two still requires that OP has a BPS-accredited undergraduate degree?
What type of masters are you wanting to do? An academic masters would be possible without accreditation and doesn't need to be accredited
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest