The Student Room Group

Imperial or UCL?

Well, I need to decide on an insurance choice and am stuck between UCL and Imperial. I applied for Biology at both and both offered me ABB (effectively BB as I already have an A in Maths).

Course: I like both pretty much equally, although the range of options at UCL looked better. UCL also has greater flexibility in terms of switching courses (impossible at Imperial). On the other hand, Imperial has a lot more opportunities abroad which I like, and they take about 120 per year for Biology compared to the 40 at UCL (not sure whether that's good or bad).

Reputation: Imperial has the upper hand, nationally & internationally.

Location: slightly prefer UCL's location but South Ken is just as nice.

Accommodation: Imperial.

Atmosphere: UCL felt much friendlier - Imperial left me a bit cold. Maybe it's the mish-mash architecture, or maybe because the Biology building looked like a factory - or because I had an interview at UCL so it feels more personal.

Any help appreciated!
Excalibur
Well, I need to decide on an insurance choice and am stuck between UCL and Imperial. I applied for Biology at both and both offered me ABB (effectively BB as I already have an A in Maths).

Course: I like both pretty much equally, although the range of options at UCL looked better. UCL also has greater flexibility in terms of switching courses (impossible at Imperial). On the other hand, Imperial has a lot more opportunities abroad which I like, and they take about 120 per year for Biology compared to the 40 at UCL (not sure whether that's good or bad).

Atmosphere: UCL felt much friendlier - Imperial left me a bit cold. Maybe it's the mish-mash architecture, or maybe because the Biology building looked like a factory - or because I had an interview at UCL so it feels more personal.

Any help appreciated!

smart move would be Imperial - it's harder to get an offer and it'll afford you with (slightly) better graduate prospects. for a science subject like biology the only place better/on par would be oxbridge in the U.K.

if UCL feels much friendlier then go to where you'll feel most comfortable. both uni's are highly respected and well known abroad. you'll do well with either. congrats on the offers!
Reply 2
Excalibur

Any help appreciated!

Hey m8.

I would say go for personal preference because [a] You're gonna get into cambs anyway :p: i would say that where the courses and academic rep of the unis is so similar its not really worth picking one over the other at the expense of personal preferences for a marginal diff in international rep or one or two more options offered.

have fun chosing :wink:
Reply 3
well excalibur at least u have a choice:biggrin:
everyone i know doing a science has opted for imperial, as they say the facilities (e.g. computing) there transcend those in UCL, but then again it depends on what you consider important; whether it be course flexibility, international options or facilities. imo, you should just pick the aspect which matters to you most, and decide on that basis.

the reason I'm not going into all the "choose very carefully" spiel is because i remember your module marks, which were very good, so you're definitely going to get the As in biology and chemistry and get into Downing! I also have to say I love your choice of subjects!

p.s. are you the guy who made the excel spreadsheet of all offer holders, along with their details?
Reply 4
n1r4v
well excalibur at least u have a choice:biggrin:
everyone i know doing a science has opted for imperial, as they say the facilities (e.g. computing) there transcend those in UCL, but then again it depends on what you consider important; whether it be course flexibility, international options or facilities. imo, you should just pick the aspect which matters to you most, and decide on that basis.

the reason I'm not going into all the "choose very carefully" spiel is because i remember your module marks, which were very good, so you're definitely going to get the As in biology and chemistry and get into Downing! I also have to say I love your choice of subjects!

p.s. are you the guy who made the excel spreadsheet of all offer holders, along with their details?

Thanks :smile: I hope too that I won't need to go to my insurance choice, but I still want to make sure I won't put down anything on a whim and be stuck later!

And indeed, I am. Except I'm a girl :wink: (why do people always think I'm male? :redface:)

Thanks for the replies, guys! I think I'll brood on this for a bit longer, but I think I'm leaning towards Imperial...
ninety_nine
for a science subject like biology the only place better/on par would be oxbridge in the U.K.

UCL has the Wolfson for god's sake! It's one of the best biosience centres in the world!
ChemistBoy
UCL has the Wolfson for god's sake! It's one of the best biosience centres in the world!

yup i agree, hence saying it's about as good as oxbridge...unless you're implying it's far superior?
ninety_nine
yup i agree, hence saying it's about as good as oxbridge...unless you're implying it's far superior?

Sorry, thought you were talking about Imperial.
Reply 8
I'm in the same position as you, Excalibur!

I felt more comfortable in UCL, and think the workload/ ethic might me slightly more me! But I'm at a loss what to go for. Hmm. I suppose yours is slightly different because it's a firm choice for me, so I have to decide where I want to go more, whereas I really don't think you would miss your Cam offer, and would actually probably bet money on you meeting it, just like I did (well, internally) for you getting an offer.

No, I'm not stalking you... :wink:
Reply 9
p.s Excalibur, I know someone who's doing NatSci at Downing - he used to go to my previous school:biggrin:
Reply 10
I got Conditional offers of 3A's from all of the them,
Imperial for Material Engineering and UCL for Electrical and Electronic , Bristol for Civil. I am not sure which is the best choice.
please keeping in view job prospect and pay have your say!:colondollar:
Original post by Excalibur

Any help appreciated!

lol, you mad?

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/home

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QS_World_University_Rankings#Top_20_universities_in_the_QS_World_University_Rankings

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0910/09100803

http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2010.jsp
Reply 12
So UCL.........but Imperial is the best Engineering University
now the thing is Material vs Electrical
Reply 13
how did UCL drop from 4th best to 22nd in the world within 1 year??
Reply 14
Original post by Couldxbe

Original post by Couldxbe
I'm in the same position as you, Excalibur!

I felt more comfortable in UCL, and think the workload/ ethic might me slightly more me! But I'm at a loss what to go for. Hmm. I suppose yours is slightly different because it's a firm choice for me, so I have to decide where I want to go more, whereas I really don't think you would miss your Cam offer, and would actually probably bet money on you meeting it, just like I did (well, internally) for you getting an offer.

No, I'm not stalking you... :wink:

Got Conditional offer for Materials 3As
I want to know does Imperial admits Private candidate and also can I change my course from Material to Electrical and Electronic Engineering..................Also is UCL better for Electronic than Imperial
Reply 15
Original post by Bhahiy
Got Conditional offer for Materials 3As
I want to know does Imperial admits Private candidate and also can I change my course from Material to Electrical and Electronic Engineering..................Also is UCL better for Electronic than Imperial

I am also in a similar situation , had a 3A's offer for aerospace materials(imperial ) and a chem eng offer with exactly the same grades from ucl. Personally I preferred the "vibes" when I visited ucl compared with imperial , however I have also heard first hand from employees and employers that if you obtain any degree from imperial they would snap you up without further consideration. I would just like to know what all your opinions are on this ? HELP !!!!!😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending