The Student Room Group

Do I firm UCL medicine or Imperial medicine

I've received offers from both and am having trouble choosing between the two. Could someone please help with choosing between the two?
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
what date was your ucl interview?
Original post by eellzz8
I've received offers from both and am having trouble choosing between the two. Could someone please help with choosing between the two?
The entry requirements are the same and both will reject you if you miss the conditions - which should be the same, so in that sense there's no advantage to firming one over the other. Both of them are also very prestigious universities with very prestigious medical schools so there is little advantage over one another in that regard as well. You really should just visit UCL and Imperial and firm which one you like the most!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi :smile:

Congratulations!

Similarities - ranks, price, compulsory intercalation, good BSc options (you can always go externally for this though), dissection, early clinical experience, London.

I am super duper biased as a current UCL med student, but I will try to outline the reasons that I chose UCL;
- I liked how the focus of the medical school and university wasn't just on academics but becoming a rounded person. There is a thriving social scene and huge collection of societies and sports to choose from. I personally have tried baking society, salsa society and art just to name a few. Imperial felt a little more science/academics heavy.
- At the time I wanted to follow the traditional teaching style but everyone is different and PBL at ICL may suit you better.
- It seems silly but as someone interested in pursuing paediatrics, I thought it was really cool to have the option of studying a BSc in this and having a placement at GOSH.

The best thing to do is go to the open day and if you have time, go and tour around yourself to get a feel for the place and talk to students. Check out both of the universities social media (medical school societies) and students union websites to see if there's anything standing out to you.

Choose what's best for you but I'm here if you have any questions about UCLMS, studying medicine in London or general.

Molly
Medic Mind

Original post by eellzz8
Reply 5
Original post by eellzz8

How many times? Imperial is wayyyy better than UCL. Imperial is independent from the univerity of london group. It has ranked 2nd best in the world in 2014 and consistently ranks among the top 10. Imperial has connections with US partners for example the MIT-Imperial Student exchange program and also NATO DIANA is hosted by Imperial. Only down side is that you won't sleep much and since it's in the poshest area of London, it is very expensive. Also have friends who went to UCL and Imperial... Imperial gets wayy more respect.
Hi, what do you mean by gets way more respect?

Original post by Toparti
How many times? Imperial is wayyyy better than UCL. Imperial is independent from the univerity of london group. It has ranked 2nd best in the world in 2014 and consistently ranks among the top 10. Imperial has connections with US partners for example the MIT-Imperial Student exchange program and also NATO DIANA is hosted by Imperial. Only down side is that you won't sleep much and since it's in the poshest area of London, it is very expensive. Also have friends who went to UCL and Imperial... Imperial gets wayy more respect.
Reply 7
Original post by eellzz8

I'm biased as an Imperial student! But defo recommend it. From what I've heard our course structure is a lot better and more organised than at UCL. The teaching also seems a lot better. There is more science content but it is all interesting and makes you a better doctor IMO. Social life is what you make of it, its great for me and lots of other medics here. Although UCL does have more humanities and different people, but a lot of people at imperial have a similar mindset so its is nice being around so many like-minded people. The work really isn't that crazy if you just do a few hours a day on top of lectures you can stay on top of it all. Also our course is integrated but still has quite a few lectures like traditional courses, with a little bit of PBL thrown in (which is quite well run so it is a good variety). Huge number and type of societies to choose from as well! Highly recommend it.
Reply 8
Original post by Toparti

'Respect' is pretty irrelevant for medicine because at the end of the day it's the same degree you get regardless of what medical school you go to. Also rankings are pointless because they don't actually mean anything for your education/experience and they're constantly changing. UCL is ranked 6th in the world for medicine in 2023 but imperial is 8th. But then last year Imperial was one spot above UCL. It really doesn't mean anything.
Original post by aj.03
'Respect' is pretty irrelevant for medicine because at the end of the day it's the same degree you get regardless of what medical school you go to. Also rankings are pointless because they don't actually mean anything for your education/experience and they're constantly changing. UCL is ranked 6th in the world for medicine in 2023 but imperial is 8th. But then last year Imperial was one spot above UCL. It really doesn't mean anything.

100%This!Go where you will be happiest.
Why no one here talked about exam style and how many exams a year and how they assess them and whats the pass mark etc.
Do you guys have any data on numer of students resitting on first year and second year and thirs year etc.
Roughly how many students leave the course due to the failure in exams
What sort of support system these both colleges has and how easy to approach them to get help if needed
What about the saftey in and arpund of these universities
And which teaching method you like and why
These details will help aswell
Reply 11
Original post by rcah3

True obvs Im just saying that cause I'm at Imperial and we have beef with UCL xD. But rankings also don't mean anything, the Imperial course is better taught and structured with more contact hours from what I've heard from people at UCL and older years. That is slightly more objective. UCL being a massively larger uni does have slightly more research output than us which would lead to slight variations in ranking. But both places are great.
Reply 12
Original post by curiousappa
Why no one here talked about exam style and how many exams a year and how they assess them and whats the pass mark etc.
Do you guys have any data on numer of students resitting on first year and second year and thirs year etc.
Roughly how many students leave the course due to the failure in exams
What sort of support system these both colleges has and how easy to approach them to get help if needed
What about the saftey in and arpund of these universities
And which teaching method you like and why
These details will help aswell

Imperial has a LOT of multiple choice questions or max 4 word answer questions. In first year for example only 3 end of year exams. Hard exams but not too many. Imperial recently has had quite a few students resitting the year but that's more due to covid and online education, so many people didn't properly attend lectures and needed to resit. At both very few would have to leave due to failure but you shouldn't be aiming for that obviously. Support at Imperial is better than it used to be, there are lots of people to talk to. Imperial is at South Ken, UCL is in Bloosmbury so both are equally safe. Imperial has some really good lecturers and I've from what I've heard from UCL students our course seems more organised but this is objective of course. We also have tutorials and a mix of different things so not everything is fully lecture based, with some PBL as well. Both are great unis though overall so doesn't matter too much.
Original post by Toparti

I definitely wouldn't say it's way better. If you asked the average person which is better they'd probably say Imperial, but that on its own doesn't matter much. What matters more is the individual course and personal factors, and for medicine rankings/prestige of a university doesn't really matter. Also, out of curiosity, why do you think imperial being independent from the university of london a good thing?
Reply 14
Original post by Labradoodle1
I definitely wouldn't say it's way better. If you asked the average person which is better they'd probably say Imperial, but that on its own doesn't matter much. What matters more is the individual course and personal factors, and for medicine rankings/prestige of a university doesn't really matter. Also, out of curiosity, why do you think imperial being independent from the university of london a good thing?

I'm assuming because the University of London has a lot of smaller, less academically rigourous and less popular unis, that dilute its name and make it weaker. Imperial being separate from that gives Imperial its own recognition.
Reply 15
Original post by Bionet
Imperial has a LOT of multiple choice questions or max 4 word answer questions. In first year for example only 3 end of year exams. Hard exams but not too many. Imperial recently has had quite a few students resitting the year but that's more due to covid and online education, so many people didn't properly attend lectures and needed to resit. At both very few would have to leave due to failure but you shouldn't be aiming for that obviously. Support at Imperial is better than it used to be, there are lots of people to talk to. Imperial is at South Ken, UCL is in Bloosmbury so both are equally safe. Imperial has some really good lecturers and I've from what I've heard from UCL students our course seems more organised but this is objective of course. We also have tutorials and a mix of different things so not everything is fully lecture based, with some PBL as well. Both are great unis though overall so doesn't matter too much.

I understand that, Imperial is only at South Ken (for medical students) for 1st year, for remaining years, it is Charring Cross Hospital. How is campus feel at Charring Cross Hospital ?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by akapoo11
I understand that, Imperial is only at South Ken (for medical students) for 1st year, for remaining years, it is Charring Cross Hospital. How is campus feel at Charring Cross Hospital ?

Nope not at all. First year and second year are both half and half across both SK and Charing Cross campuses, with first year slightly more at SK and second year slightly more at CX. Then 3rd, 5th and 6th year are all over the place depending on what hospital you are placed in for placements, although majority of the time in North West or Central London. Most Imperial hospitals are excellent so the training here will be pretty great. 4th year is entirely at SK campus because you are intercalating in your BSc subject, so you essentially have the same timetable as any other Imperial uni student for that year.

Charing cross campus is right next to the main hospital. It is relatively small, but enough room. The main bar (Reynolds bar) is being completely refurbished and will be reopened late 2023, so it will be very nice. Everyone is very friendly, the area (Hammersmith) is also quite student friendly and Hammersmith is full of all Imperial students anyway, so its a great Hub. Overall its fun!
Original post by eellzz8

I really want to apply to UCL , so what did you get in your GCSEs in order to get an offer
Reply 18
Original post by Chickenandchip
I really want to apply to UCL , so what did you get in your GCSEs in order to get an offer

UCL give their GCSE requirements on their website
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/2024-entry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending