The Student Room Group

I need to study but I can’t stop listening to music...

I know you might say “well just turn it off” but I’m so focused on music and I cant seem to shift that focus… I love maths because its the one subject I can listen to music and study. I can only focus when I’m listening to music or if I’m under heavy pressure, If I have to read or write the lyrics are obviously distract my thought process so if anyone can suggest good music to listen to while studying I’d gladly appreciate it!

I do listen to Classical and Jazz but I like lively pieces which i dont have many of, I’m not a fan of boring/background pieces. Or if you have a suggestion for how I can focus without music I’d greatly appreciate it… also I’m not the only one who struggles with this, right?
Reply 1
Original post by Zxyn
Jazz

Reply 2
Original post by Profesh

These are perfect! Cheers! I keep getting PRSOM so i cant rate :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Zxyn
These are perfect! Cheers! I keep getting PRSOM so i cant rate :frown:

A few more for your consideration:

(0'18" onwards.)

If "lively" is the watchword then soul jazz and hard-bop are probably your safest bets, genre-wise; potentially third stream, fusion or even jazz-rock if you're feeling sonically adventurous (and as a music-omnivore myself I'd say that broadening one's horizons is only to be encouraged, if for no other reason than because once every genre is fair-game you can afford to be doubly discerning in your choice of listening matter).

Bonne chance.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Some corkers there, @Profesh - nice one.
Original post by Zxyn
I know you might say “well just turn it off” but I’m so focused on music and I cant seem to shift that focus… I love maths because its the one subject I can listen to music and study. I can only focus when I’m listening to music or if I’m under heavy pressure, If I have to read or write the lyrics are obviously distract my thought process so if anyone can suggest good music to listen to while studying I’d gladly appreciate it!

I do listen to Classical and Jazz but I like lively pieces which i dont have many of, I’m not a fan of boring/background pieces. Or if you have a suggestion for how I can focus without music I’d greatly appreciate it… also I’m not the only one who struggles with this, right?

Revision sucks, but at some stage you need to knuckle down and get on with it. Listen to music by all means, but if it makes you less effective and you want to convince yourself you cant revise without it, then sort something out.

What you do know is whilst you are pondering over your playlist other people are getting on with it and the exam date is getting closer. It doesnt care how or what music you have listened to.
Listen to it why working or try listening to non lyric music why studying
What about lofi hiphop?
Chillhop has some amazing music

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending