The Student Room Group

Music gcse

How to improve with listening appraising skills tips please
I'm all good with practical stuff wise but need help with how to spot these things
Ik i have to listen but I don't have a good ear if u understand😅😅
- a yr10
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

If the questions is what is the rhythmic device then the answer is almost always syncopation. If the question is name the harmonic device the answer is almost always pedal (or drone, very distinct difference that you would notice). If they ask for Melodic device it is almost always sequences.
As for how to improve your listening, do lots of practice questions. Write a list of the things you want to listen out for and try to spot them in the music. Also be aware of what style of music it is. For example are you looking out for a habanera rhythm and syncopation in Spanish/Latin music?
And finally, read the question. I know it's a given - sorry - but you've got to be aware if they're asking for melody or harmony for example. This is not only a case of reading the question, but knowing what fits under Harmony or melody or the rest of DRSMITH.
Reply 2
Oh alright but yea it's better to be careful 👍😊
Tysm xx
Original post by Trickia
I'm all good with practical stuff wise but need help with how to spot these things
- a yr10

what exam board are you doing?
Reply 4
ocr
Original post by Trickia
ocr

I did OCR, and I found for world music, if it has an irregular number of beats in a bar it is most likely Greek, if you can hear a Chaal rhythm it will be Bhangra (with chaal most likely played on the tumbi). You can still get all the marks in a missing notes question if the shape of the melody is the same even if the notes are not right. If you get asked about the bass line in 50s and 60s rock and roll question, it is most likely a walking bass line and any reasonable suggestion for a composer/artist question should be mark worthy. A pop ballad is most likely in a minor key, and the texture will become thicker as the piece progresses usually.
Reply 6
oh thank you for the tips :smile:

Original post by flowersinmyhair
I did OCR, and I found for world music, if it has an irregular number of beats in a bar it is most likely Greek, if you can hear a Chaal rhythm it will be Bhangra (with chaal most likely played on the tumbi). You can still get all the marks in a missing notes question if the shape of the melody is the same even if the notes are not right. If you get asked about the bass line in 50s and 60s rock and roll question, it is most likely a walking bass line and any reasonable suggestion for a composer/artist question should be mark worthy. A pop ballad is most likely in a minor key, and the texture will become thicker as the piece progresses usually.
Reply 7
Original post by Trickia
- a yr10

Hey! I am doing AQA but it seems to be pretty much the same :smile:

I think doing something like making a table for each musical element with a few examples of how they are used in random songs (Youtube - Both modern and classical music) would be a good practice and revision tool to use! I use the mnemonic (DR PATSMITH)
D - Dynamics (Piano/Forte)
R - Rhythm (Syncopated, on the beat, hemiola, scotch snap)
P - Pitch (High or low tessitura)
A - Articulation (Staccato, legato, arco, pizzicato)
T - Tempo (Allegro, adagio)
S - Structure (Binary, ternary, rondo)
M - Melody (Conjunct/disjunct, chromatic/diatonic, leaps)
I - Instruments and timbre (What instruments and what sound do they create?)
T - Texture (Monophonic, homophonic, polyphonic, melody and accompaniment)
H - Harmony (Minor, minor, 7th chords)

I don't mind explaining any of these if you need!

I think just do lots of practice by choosing some elements and writing down what you can think of, maybe give some to your teacher to mark.

Best of luck to you in your revision and enjoy the course!!

- A year 11!!! <3
Reply 8
Original post by Maybar
Hey! I am doing AQA but it seems to be pretty much the same :smile:

I think doing something like making a table for each musical element with a few examples of how they are used in random songs (Youtube - Both modern and classical music) would be a good practice and revision tool to use! I use the mnemonic (DR PATSMITH)
D - Dynamics (Piano/Forte)
R - Rhythm (Syncopated, on the beat, hemiola, scotch snap)
P - Pitch (High or low tessitura)
A - Articulation (Staccato, legato, arco, pizzicato)
T - Tempo (Allegro, adagio)
S - Structure (Binary, ternary, rondo)
M - Melody (Conjunct/disjunct, chromatic/diatonic, leaps)
I - Instruments and timbre (What instruments and what sound do they create?)
T - Texture (Monophonic, homophonic, polyphonic, melody and accompaniment)
H - Harmony (Minor, minor, 7th chords)

I don't mind explaining any of these if you need!

I think just do lots of practice by choosing some elements and writing down what you can think of, maybe give some to your teacher to mark.

Best of luck to you in your revision and enjoy the course!!

- A year 11!!! <3

Hi!
Could you elaborate on the structure and rhythm a bit more xx
Thank you :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
I forgot about this but we learnt MAD T-SHIRT
Melody
Articulation
Dynamics

Texture
Structure
Harmony
Instrumentation
Rhythm
Tempo

I know someone else has basically mentioned this but this might make it easier to remember
Reply 10
Original post by Trickia
Hi!
Could you elaborate on the structure and rhythm a bit more xx
Thank you :smile:

Yes sure! So there are three types of structures you should know: Binary, Ternary, and Rondo.
Binary form is the structure AB where there is a main theme and then a different theme and that's it.
Ternary form is the structure ABA where there is a main theme, a different theme, and then a return to the main theme.
Rondo Form is the structure ABACADAE... which is where the main theme keeps returning after new themes each time.

For rhythm, it is best to mention if the rhythm is on the beat or off the beat (syncopated) and I would suggest listening to some examples. You can also describe the duration of the notes (long notes like minums or short notes like quavers)

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I forgot about this but we learnt MAD T-SHIRT
Melody
Articulation
Dynamics

Texture
Structure
Harmony
Instrumentation
Rhythm
Tempo

I know someone else has basically mentioned this but this might make it easier to remember

Yh my music teacher can't stop talking about it lmao
Reply 12
Original post by Trickia
Yh my music teacher can't stop talking about it lmao

Awww :frown: Mad t-shirts always overpower Dr. Patsmith!!!

My teacher is obsessed with Dr Patsmith lol but I think Mad Tshirts is the famous one!
Reply 13
True but both are good😂
She's the head of music so there isn't a day she won't talk about it😅
Reply 14
Ahahahaha! Same with mine lol
Reply 15
@Trickia If you need any help in GCSE Music feel free to message me! It is my strongest subject and I do have my exam for music coming up so helping others helps me revise too :biggrin:
Reply 16
Alrighty
ocr does concerto thru time, pop songs, rhythms around the world and film music/game
Hbu aqa?
Reply 17
Original post by Maybar
@Trickia If you need any help in GCSE Music feel free to message me! It is my strongest subject and I do have my exam for music coming up so helping others helps me revise too :biggrin:

Thanks will do! 🤭
Reply 18
Ooooh those are nice! We have Western Classical, Popular Music, Traditional music, and also music around the world :smile: They are not too different! Do you also have composition and performance as well?
Reply 19
Yes ofc
What's western classical btw
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest