The Student Room Group

Is this a high risk strategy

So I noticed on my exam timetable tomorrow I have my first exam. It is called Linear Algebra but its not in any of the university buildings its in some weird sports centre that is not part of the university even though the university has its own sports centre anyway.

at least thats according to my exam time table. I googled the place and rang them to ask if they have uni exams there they said yes and mentioned its linear Algebra.

so I was just going to get a taxi there tomorrow.

but I am wondering is this high risk what if the exam is not there or there is some mix up and its another place with the exact name or etc?

Scroll to see replies

Why not:cross check with another one of your coursemates or the department? You seem a bit paranoid.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Why not:cross check with another one of your coursemates or the department? You seem a bit paranoid.

i checked with a random student who said they had an exam at that specific place and it probably is there. I also checked with a course mate who said its there.

But what if the girl was just saying that to get rid of me and what if my coursemate secretly hates me and is laughing at me on the inside and the idea of me failing?
Reply 3
Original post by Luke7456
i checked with a random student who said they had an exam at that specific place and it probably is there. I also checked with a course mate who said its there.

But what if the girl was just saying that to get rid of me and what if my coursemate secretly hates me and is laughing at me on the inside and the idea of me failing?

What is the name of the building?

Your reaction doesnt seem normal.
Instead of posting here check with the exam office or go and visit the exam hall yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by ma_long
What is the name of the building?

that would potentially reveal the name of the uni I am at and I dont want to do that. I checked with a coursemate on fb just now and he says it is as well. he doesn't hate me, because he helped me understand part of the calc assighment. I guess there is the possibility he has been lied to as well and the timne table is printed wrong. I guess at some point you just have to risk this I will leave an hour early to try and be safe though.
Reply 6
Your reaction doesnt seem normal.
Instead of posting here check with the exam office or go and visit the exam hall yourself.

I think OP is referring to a building called Daniel Defoe Hall. It's an exam venue for the University of Greenwich, now imagine if someone vandalised the name tag of that location on google maps, that would be one story!
ur being paranoid, that is the exam place and u will do well. don't stress & good luck
Original post by ma_long
I think OP is referring to a building called Daniel Defoe Hall. It's an exam venue for the University of Greenwich, now imagine if someone vandalised the name tag of that location on google maps, that would be one story!

I think you have managed to raise the paranoia levels 100%.
I thought he was intending to join Warwick? I must have missed it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
that would potentially reveal the name of the uni I am at and I dont want to do that. I checked with a coursemate on fb just now and he says it is as well. he doesn't hate me, because he helped me understand part of the calc assighment. I guess there is the possibility he has been lied to as well and the timne table is printed wrong. I guess at some point you just have to risk this I will leave an hour early to try and be safe though.

You are extremely paranoid, I think you are at the University of Greenwich. The exam is in Daniel Defoe Hall, just get off at Greenwich DLR instead of Cutty Sark DLR.
FYI OP, I was at Queen Mary, University of London and they had exams in some town hall in Stratford. You had to walk through a shopping centre to get to the town hall. Exams can be in random venues if there are a lot of students.

It can happen though, you can put in a request on google maps to change location names if they are incorrect. But OP is in Daniel Defoe Hall, I know the University of Greenwich hosts exams there.
Reply 12
Original post by ma_long

I thought he was intending to join Warwick? I must have missed it?

I intended to go to warwick but was told an offer before I got my grades was unlikely and then I did not get the grades I wanted. I am not at Warwick.

this would have raised my paranoia levels if I was at this place but I am not so meh.
Original post by ma_long
FYI OP, I was at Queen Mary, University of London and they had exams in some town hall in Stratford. You had to walk through a shopping centre to get to the town hall. Exams can be in random venues if there are a lot of students.

If unsure a normal reaction would be to check with the exam office or your department or a student who had already sat an exam there and you trusted.
Paranoia is a dangerous trait, sort it out.
I intended to go to warwick but was told an offer before I got my grades was unlikely and then I did not get the grades I wanted. I am not at Warwick.

this would have raised my paranoia levels if I was at this place but I am not so meh.

Then OP I'm afraid they are all lying to you, your exam must be on campus.
I know right, I had exams in random places and my biggest worry was finding the place. Like I said I've walked through shopping centres to get to exam venues. I never doubted the timetable was fixed or that I had been lied to, I doubted my ability to get there on time though (if it was a new location and I had to be there super early, say for 9:30 am).
Then OP I'm afraid they are all lying to you, your exam must be on campus.

Spoiler

Then you hunt them down afterwards.
Yeah some of these buildings can be hard to find. I was at the University of Greenwich and have had exams in Lewisham, I was at QMUL and have had exams in Stratford. If someone managed to get an edit in on google maps, It would screw a lot of people. These halls can't be cheap to rent, good to see our student loan money being used well. I feel I should buy a venue near a university and hope I can charge crazy rent for exams, seems a full proof strategy apparently.

Quick Reply

Latest