The Student Room Group

Should I take higher maths?

I’ve been debating whether to take higher maths for a while now. I most likely want to study biology at university and though all the courses I’ve been interested in don’t require a higher maths qualification, I’m still not sure. I don’t particularly like maths as a subject, but I still do pretty well in it. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by lovebio
I’ve been debating whether to take higher maths for a while now. I most likely want to study biology at university and though all the courses I’ve been interested in don’t require a higher maths qualification, I’m still not sure. I don’t particularly like maths as a subject, but I still do pretty well in it. Any advice?

Higher Maths is a high risk, high reward strategy. I was given the advice at school that if you don't absolutely need it (ie doing engineering or mathematics at uni) don't take it. I did, and have found it under the 'recommended' section of my top choice course (Law at Glasgow.) I'm not going to lie and say that it's an easy and fun course, because it's not. It is one of the hardest highers, especially as if you have a bad day on the exam there's no coursework to fall back on. However, because so few people get A's, universities do rank it, it will set you apart, especially for a competitive course. I will say that despite it being hard, it is also somewhat formulaic, they ask similar questions year in and year out. If you believe that you can do well, I would say absolutely take it. I am not a natural at maths but I ended up with an A through sheer grit force. Weigh it up with other courses you're taking (I know biology higher can be extremely time consuming in terms of content, but the same is said of geography, and I managed both courses.) In all honesty I am beyond happy I chose to take maths, it makes me stand apart from other students applying for the same course and you never know, it might be recommended on some of yours! The best of luck whatever you decide to do and if you have any questions I'm happy to answer <3
Higher Maths is THE hardest course to get an A in but it's well worth the amount of work required.
One piece of advice I will give you is that you must study consistently! You can't waltz into a higher Maths exam after looking at the notes and making flash cards. At least one past paper every week was what I did in the lead up to the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending