which syllabus is that

AQA
I'm afraid we're not psychic.
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan2012
I'm afraid we're not psychic.

Yes but are you clever?
I feel like there probably is a reasonable explanation behind this
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/a%20level%20revision/C2_not_formula_book.pdf
Reply 5
It's square-based so think of a cuboid. They've said the volume is 18000. And the formula to calculate the volume of a cuboid is width x height x length which is xxhx * x * h and they've just set that to 18000 and rearranged. Hopefully, that clarifies the first bit.
Reply 6
Original post by nyxnko_
It's square-based so think of a cuboid. They've said the volume is 18000. And the formula to calculate the volume of a cuboid is width x height x length which is xxhx * x * h and they've just set that to 18000 and rearranged. Hopefully, that clarifies the first bit.

Yeah that makes sense, thank you! :smile: Any idea about how they found the surface area?
Reply 7
Original post by Presto
Yeah that makes sense, thank you! :smile: Any idea about how they found the surface area?

Like I said, it's a cuboid so it has 2 square sides and 4 rectangular sides. However, it has an open top AND open front so in actuality, it only has 1 square side and 3 rectangular sides, so the sum of the areas of the square sides is equal to x2x^2 and the sum of the areas of the rectangular sides is equal to 3xh3xh.

From the first equation, they've rearranged the volume to find hh and then just plugged that into 3xh3xh. Does that clarify the first 2 parts?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by nyxnko_
Like I said, it's a cuboid so it has 2 square sides and 4 rectangular sides. However, it has an open top AND open front so the sum of the areas of the square sides is equal to x2x^2 and the sum of the areas of the rectangular sides is equal to 3xh3xh.

From the first equation, they've rearranged the volume to find hh and then just plugged that into 3xh3xh. Does that clarify the first 2 parts?

Oh ohh thanks so much! I was finding it very difficult to visualise but looking from your explanation to the solution helped a lot :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Presto
Oh ohh thanks so much! I was finding it very difficult to visualise but looking from your explanation to the solution helped a lot :smile:

No problem. I'm guessing the differentiation is straightforward enough :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by nyxnko_
No problem. I'm guessing the differentiation is straightforward enough :biggrin:

Yeppp just the mensuration part was confusing
Original post by Presto
Yeppp just the mensuration part was confusing

The volume and surface area of cuboids and cuboid-like shapes (e.g. here there's an open top and open front) is GCSE work, so you should go back and review it if you find it difficult.
Reply 12
Original post by Prasiortle
The volume and surface area of cuboids and cuboid-like shapes (e.g. here there's an open top and open front) is GCSE work, so you should go back and review it if you find it difficult.

Yeah I did review those mensuration formulas afterwards. Wish these kinds of qs didn't have open ends :/
Original post by Presto
Yeah I did review those mensuration formulas afterwards. Wish these kinds of qs didn't have open ends :/

You're out of luck! Are you on new spec? These questions are designed to be harder and more problem-solving based so you're more likely to have an open-top question,
Reply 14
Original post by nyxnko_
You're out of luck! Are you on new spec? These questions are designed to be harder and more problem-solving based so you're more likely to have an open-top question,

No I'm actually doing edexcel ial but there have been a lot of qs like that in recent years so I was trying to have a better understanding through online notes and stuff. I always lose most of my marks on optimisation qs and finding the area of shaded regions under graphs
Original post by Presto
No I'm actually doing edexcel ial but there have been a lot of qs like that in recent years so I was trying to have a better understanding through online notes and stuff. I always lose most of my marks on optimisation qs and finding the area of shaded regions under graphs

Oh okay. I'm guessing it's mainly the mensuration that messes with people a bit because if you get that bit wrong, the entire question is wrong! Best of luck with any exams you have in the coming months.
Reply 16
Original post by nyxnko_
Oh okay. I'm guessing it's mainly the mensuration that messes with people a bit because if you get that bit wrong, the entire question is wrong! Best of luck with any exams you have in the coming months.

No the first part - usually 3 or 5 marks - deals with mensuration where they give a 'Show that' question so even if you don't know how to solve you could just move on the next part using the show that value. The area under graph kind of qs can have 5, 8, 10 or more marks and they're more tricky. Thank you sm!
Original post by Presto
No the first part - usually 3 or 5 marks - deals with mensuration where they give a 'Show that' question so even if you don't know how to solve you could just move on the next part using the show that value. The area under graph kind of qs can have 5, 8, 10 or more marks and they're more tricky. Thank you sm!

Ugh.. those q's sound horrible either way.
:hugs:
Reply 18
Original post by nyxnko_
Ugh.. those q's sound horrible either way.
:hugs:

:smile::heart:

Quick Reply

Latest