The Student Room Group

UCAT Medentry QR Question

Could someone pls explain?Screenshot (458).png
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Should be relatively straightforward.
10% of the poulation are children and 40% are adults 18-65. 5% of those adults, so 2% of the population, go with childreen so 8% of population are children which go with OAPs, so 80% of the children go with OAPs.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Should be relatively straightforward.
10% of the poulation are children and 40% are adults 18-65. 5% of those adults, so 2% of the population, go with childreen so 8% of population are children which go with OAPs, so 80% of the children go with OAPs.

thank you, where did you get 2% of the population from?
Reply 3
Original post by charlotte05x
thank you, where did you get 2% of the population from?

5% of adults take a child. There are 40% adults in the population, so 5% of that is 2% of the population. So 1 in 5 children is accompanied by an adult, so 4 in 5 children (80%) are accompanied by an oap.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
5% of adults take a child. There are 40% adults in the population, so 5% of that is 2% of the population. So 1 in 5 children is accompanied by an adult, so 4 in 5 children (80%) are accompanied by an oap.

Ahhh thank you, how did you know that you aren't supposed to use the 120,000 to help answer the question and just the percentages? And is 1/5 from 2/10 (2% of adults and 10% of children in total)?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Ahhh thank you, how did you know that you aren't supposed to use the 120,000 to help answer the question and just the percentages?

Some of the questions will give more info than required. Youve got to decide what you need to solve a problem, not just rely on the question elf to give it to you precisely. You could work it out in terms of absolute numbers (try it?) but its not necessary.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Some of the questions will give more info than required. Youve got to decide what you need to solve a problem, not just rely on the question elf to give it to you precisely. You could work it out in terms of absolute numbers (try it?) but its not necessary.

I tried doing it with 120,000 because that method makes more logical sense to me but I couldn't work it out but thank you so much!
Reply 7
I tried doing it with 120,000 because that method makes more logical sense to me but I couldn't work it out but thank you so much!

post your working if it didnt work out? It would give an answer.
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
post your working if it didnt work out? It would give an answer.

never mind, just redid it and got the answer, thank you sm for your help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending