The Student Room Group

Is Anyone Doing BA (hons) Education Studies (Primary)?

Hi there,

I've decided that I'd like to become a primary teacher and I'm looking into doing the Open University BA in primary education studies and enroll in time to start in October.

I was wondering if anyone has done this degree (or currently doing it) and if they would recommend it? I've looked at all the info on the website and the prospectus and I'm really keen to learn all the modules as it seems like a great degree, I just want to be sure that it's a good degree to have when I eventually apply for a PGDE place (potentially at Moray House in Edinburgh as I live here).

Basically any info from anyone who's studied /studying it, would be great. Or if anyone on here is thinking of doing it when it starts in October then say hello!

Thanks for reading! 🙂
Reply 1
I’m just finishing my first year and so far so good! I’m completing it full-time (2 modules each year) and it can sometimes be difficult to get motivated with distance learning but as long as you manage that well you will be fine. The level one modules cover childhood psychology ( development, attachment etc) and an introduction to education in primary years (different roles, approaches to learning, introduction to different curriculum areas). I think it’s a great course and I’ve been in touch with various unis to make sure it’s a qualifying degree for PGCE, and it is😊You do have to arrange your own placement though for observations and experience, which can be quite time consuming and frustrating, but it’s worth it in the end. I volunteer one day a week at a local primary school and that suits just fine. I’d say go for it!!
Original post by Caseye98
I’m just finishing my first year and so far so good! I’m completing it full-time (2 modules each year) and it can sometimes be difficult to get motivated with distance learning but as long as you manage that well you will be fine. The level one modules cover childhood psychology ( development, attachment etc) and an introduction to education in primary years (different roles, approaches to learning, introduction to different curriculum areas). I think it’s a great course and I’ve been in touch with various unis to make sure it’s a qualifying degree for PGCE, and it is😊You do have to arrange your own placement though for observations and experience, which can be quite time consuming and frustrating, but it’s worth it in the end. I volunteer one day a week at a local primary school and that suits just fine. I’d say go for it!!

That's awesome, thanks for replying! I enrolled the other day (need to get my funding sorted but that should be fine), so glad to hear it's a good degree to do. Good luck with finishing first year! 😊
Reply 3
I’m thinking of doing this too from Oct but concerned with distance learning I won’t be able to achieve the 2:2 I need for PGCE. What is the workload like as I would like to complete in 3 yrs too
Reply 4
Original post by Cherry Beccles
Hi there,

I've decided that I'd like to become a primary teacher and I'm looking into doing the Open University BA in primary education studies and enroll in time to start in October.

I was wondering if anyone has done this degree (or currently doing it) and if they would recommend it? I've looked at all the info on the website and the prospectus and I'm really keen to learn all the modules as it seems like a great degree, I just want to be sure that it's a good degree to have when I eventually apply for a PGDE place (potentially at Moray House in Edinburgh as I live here).

Basically any info from anyone who's studied /studying it, would be great. Or if anyone on here is thinking of doing it when it starts in October then say hello!

Thanks for reading! 🙂

Hi! One of our students at the University of Northampton studied BA Education Studies and started her own charity at the same time. Have a read here: http://bit.ly/BethelUoN
Reply 5
Ive just enrolled into this course to start in October too! so glad ive read this as its put my mind at ease a little! its nice to have some support on here also!

Kelly x
Hey!

I replied to your thread on a previous forum but this one looks to be more current with the upcoming term.

I've just enrolled and have my funding in place or at least authorised and has been sent off to the ou. Im excited to get started and a bit nervous like im not gonna lie. Im doing the 3 year course 2 modules a year and working full time :redface:.

Are you gonna do any pre-course reading? I've been listening to a few podcasts that are really interesting and usually have interviews with top researchers and always have full transcripts in the links i can give you some links if you are interested.

I'm Dan btw, if anyone else is starting in october feel free to say hello!
Reply 7
I've never done a degree so I don't really know what to read up on! Lol can see this is going to go well! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I've been listening to the early childhood research podcast and the pre-school podcast by himama.

Id imagine they are both on ipod store or if you have android i which i do you can get a podcast app called pocket cast and they are both on there. Theres loads of backdated podcasts so i've just been listening whilst i drive around for work.

Ha this is my first degree aswell, not really done any essay writing since my gcse's about 10 years ago ha!
Reply 9
You can do any degree and then do a PGCE
Thanks Dan! Will take a look! Same though pretty nervous! Haha!
Reply 11
Original post by Caseye98

Hi Casey,
just saw your post - I've enrolled to start e103 in October and am trying to find people who have undertaken both e102 & e103 at the same time to find out how they found it? Is it manageable? I am a HLTA in an infant school in Hampshire with an 18 and 15 year old, so don't have big childcare issues! I'd like to get cracking and get it underway but don't want to take on too much initially if it's tough

What did you think?

Hope to hear from you soon!
Reply 12
Hi,

I know this thread is a few months old but i’m starting E102 and E103 in October so thought i’d reply on the off chance any of you are still following it. Would be good to have others to chat to if we’re going through the module(s) at the same time.
I work 25 hours a week in a primary school and have 3 kids so lots of juggling ahead for me! Can’t wait to get started though...
Hi,I would love any links you have to material that will help me on my journey. I will start the course in October. My first module is E103.I'm David. Any help or guidance is very welcome.
Hi how are you getting on with the course and working full time. I'm interested in starting on October and will also be contracted 30 hours in a primary school as a TA
Original post by Old man junky
Hey!

I replied to your thread on a previous forum but this one looks to be more current with the upcoming term.

I've just enrolled and have my funding in place or at least authorised and has been sent off to the ou. Im excited to get started and a bit nervous like im not gonna lie. Im doing the 3 year course 2 modules a year and working full time :redface:.

Are you gonna do any pre-course reading? I've been listening to a few podcasts that are really interesting and usually have interviews with top researchers and always have full transcripts in the links i can give you some links if you are interested.

Hey Melissa, I am also starting this degree in a few days. I'm soo nervous! I really hope i don't lose motivation. Good Luck x
Hi guys me too I start in October I’m glad I’m not only one doing both full time I’m a mum to 5 kids lol two with Sen ..
Hi me to haleema

Original post by Haleema1999
Hey Melissa, I am also starting this degree in a few days. I'm soo nervous! I really hope i don't lose motivation. Good Luck x
I’d love a link to these podcasts please!
Reply 19
Original post by Old man junky
Hey!

Not sure if you'll reply! but how did you get on with doing this full time whilst also working full time? I work a 9-5 mon-fri and currently looking at doing it part time but would much prefer full time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending